Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to solve the boarding process once and for all for United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to solve the boarding process once and for all for United

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by onthesam
Agreed that overhead space anxiety is the primary driver of boarding chaos these days. That being said -- don't be so quick to blame bag fees. The wait at baggage claim and potential for loss/delay with checked bags are also a significant factors that drive people to take large bags on the plane with them -- perhaps equally as much as or more so than the fees. Think of all the F and status customers who take large bags onto the planes that could otherwise have been checked for free...
Exactly.

Most everyone in groups 1 and 2 should get free checked bags, yet they will fill up the overheads. I can check bags for free, yet rarely ever do. When I do, my “priority” tagged bag often doesn’t show up until 30 minutes after arrival. I could be out of the airport and halfway to my local destination by then.

A couple months ago, I checked a bag on a flight to Europe with connections. It got to my destination 44 hours after I did (with no flight delays).

If they could somehow make the baggage delivery process more efficient, I’d much rather check a bag instead of dealing with the fight for overhead space. Yet, somehow, despite all the fees they charge which supposedly makes people carry stuff on (when I do visit baggage claim, I still see more than plenty of stuff coming from the hold), they still can’t a checked bag in my hand in a reasonable time.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi

Exactly.

Most everyone in groups 1 and 2 should get free checked bags, yet they will fill up the overheads. I can check bags for free, yet rarely ever do. When I do, my “priority” tagged bag often doesn’t show up until 30 minutes after arrival. I could be out of the airport and halfway to my local destination by then.

A couple months ago, I checked a bag on a flight to Europe with connections. It got to my destination 44 hours after I did (with no flight delays).

If they could somehow make the baggage delivery process more efficient, I’d much rather check a bag instead of dealing with the fight for overhead space. Yet, somehow, despite all the fees they charge which supposedly makes people carry stuff on (when I do visit baggage claim, I still see more than plenty of stuff coming from the hold), they still can’t a checked bag in my hand in a reasonable time.
Maybe the airlines should pay for checked bags...that would put a positive incentive on checking bags and free up OH space.

Imagine if XYZ airline paid you $10 to check a bag instead of taking it carry on.

OR

You get your laptop/purse/backpack carried on included and one checked bag.

If you want to carry on your suitcase, that will be $25. Those that are in a hurry, will pay. Those that have things they don't want to be without, will pay, those that are stingy and rather indifferent won't.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:01 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Call everyone by name to board. Simple. This thread can be closed.
In alphabetical order. My surname begins with B so I’ll be fine.
As does mine 😉 (second letter is “o”)
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by goalie
As does mine (second letter is “o”)
I've got you beat by three letters (and I doubt there are very many names starting with Bm or Bn)...
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
"United is excited to announce a new system of boarding by alphabetical order. Exclusively at PDX this new system will be in reverse order starting with surnames beginning with the letter 'Z' ."

Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller

In alphabetical order. My surname begins with B so I’ll be fine.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by narvik
"United is excited to announce a new system of boarding by alphabetical order. Exclusively at PDX this new system will be in reverse order starting with surnames beginning with the letter 'Z' ."
Now I'm thinking that this is the most wonderful plan but it should be worldwide. Why limit it to PDX?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Is there an App that will automatically check you in at 24 hours? And send you a text or other alert if upgrades are available? This would avoid some of the angst...
Yes. It's called Delta.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I do miss that auto-checkin option that used to exist for the return leg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.