Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to solve the boarding process once and for all for United

How to solve the boarding process once and for all for United

Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA Platinum (but I also just pay for upgrades if I want them)
Smile How to solve the boarding process once and for all for United

My thoughts for how to FINALLY improve the United boarding process. and maybe everyone else like AA, DL, etc...

short answer - merge parts of the current system with parts of the Southwest style system.

the longer answer:
Have everyone assigned a Boarding Group letter and position within that boarding group, like A14 or B3
Take the current United system and adopt it to be "A" for preboarding, "B" for group 1, etc
Take the current Southwest system of using the 24-hour ahead check-in rule to assign a place in line and assign people within each group based on that

example:
if I am a Global Services and I was the 14th person to check in from my group, I would be given A14
if I am a Premier Gold and I was the 3rd person to check in from my group, I would be given B3

Yeah, I get that some people get to "check-in" for flights earlier than a 24hour time point because they might have connecting flights...oh well, small flaw in the system but better than current one
I feel like any of the boarding group systems still entices "gate lice" to stake a place closest to the gate to get to the front of their boarding group anyways so I think this would encourage people to NOT sit in the middle of the lane and watch youtube videos to claim a spot
if United ordered people within a group, i believe those gate lice would go away (cuz you typically dont see them at Southwest) and things would run much smoother at the gate

Thoughts???
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
UA would have to rearrange all of their gates for it.

I think more groups (probably 9) to avoid the preboards, would work better.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA Platinum (but I also just pay for upgrades if I want them)
Originally Posted by mduell
UA would have to rearrange all of their gates for it.

I think more groups (probably 9) to avoid the preboards, would work better.
Why would you have to rearrange all of the gates? if there are 100 people in Group 1 they have to line up anyways...why not just put them in an order?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Just a general observation - people in airports act like children. It could be the overcrowding, the security, the unfamiliarity, the anxiety - I don't know what it is. I just don't understand why people get so worked up about when they can board a flight, and who goes first, and what not. As much as I love the new airplanes coming on property, and the older ones being upgraded with new premium cabins, as a member of FT since 2001 I have never known a boarding process change to not be a huge source or irritation to so many people. Apart from the domestic road warriors who fly every week, and hopefully they are now in BG1 or higher, what are the airlines supposed to do? I mean, at most, there are 2 jet bridges for wide bodies in some airports. At many there is just one. So if 400 people are going to funnel through one door, what can possibly be done? Nothing. This whole panic over yet another UA boarding process change is ridiculous. As it is with Delta American and many of the worlds' better carriers. Pack a little patience and remember airfares are historically low. Safety is up. Wifi is abundant. Enjoy the airport and bring on a little less cabin baggage. Travel is a privilege, unless you are trying to get through the Holland Tunnel on a holiday weekend. It's not that bad folks, but more importantly, we live in a world where civility is disappearing faster than the icebergs in the Arctic. Are things perfect at America's airports - NO. And they haven't been for some 40 years!
alexj7, KDS777, seenitall and 6 others like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by ckidder331
Thoughts???
Wouldn't work.
How would a late gate arrival find their correct place?
(Maybe) sounds good on paper, but a sure disaster if implemented, me thinks.
2stepbay likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
Wouldn't work.
How would a late gate arrival find their correct place?
(Maybe) sounds good on paper, but a sure disaster if implemented, me thinks.
If you arrive after your group has completely boarded, you can go to the front of the line. If you arrive while your group is boarding, you go to the end of your group.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I simply hate the Southwest style of boarding - I also acknowledge others love it.

I can't stand the numbering system - making you in a sense a number - and the lining up by number seems simply robotic to me - and quite frankly I'm busy, as others - I shouldn't have to worry about online check in time to get A whatever.....
2stepbay likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sincx
If you arrive after your group has completely boarded, you can go to the front of the line. If you arrive while your group is boarding, you go to the end of your group.
I think you do what Southwest does...you hop in line where you should be and if you're spot has already boarded you just hop in front. I fly SWA a few times a year and people understand how the boarding process works. no one balks if someone cuts in front of you because they are supposed to be there...if youre late, youre late.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Most of my flying is international, and I seriously doubt this would work well. It seems the current system is (and the one pre 9/18 was) difficult enough for some to understand.
I get that Southwest travelers know how that particular boarding works. United caters to quite a different group of people though.
wrp96 and 2stepbay like this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I think it's too convoluted, and many of us avoid WN for their boarding system (and I know many fly because of it). How long in your scenario before UA starts charging "EBCI" equivalents?

When seats are preassigned, most boarding anxiety is due to concern of overhead bin space. You know what fixes that? Not having to carry on a rollerbag to save $60 r/t. Free checked baggage is the part of Southwest the other carriers should be copying. And I know that isn't likely so my solution there is giving passengers a choice of one checked or overhead bag included in their ticket. When you check-in online and choose checked bag, you get Group 5 and take your time getting settled. If you check-in online and want overhead space, you get 3 or 4. It can be fairly easily policed because by Group 5 usually the overhead bins are full anyway, and once the GA calls Group 5 they would not expect many stragglers and thus shouldn't see roller bags (sort of like with E-).
Miggles likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I appreciate the OPs enthusiasm, but the SW approach to boarding doesnt appeal to everyone. I personally dont mind it much when I fly SW, but I dont have a problem with UAs approach, in fact I still prefer it.
Moderator2 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The problem is not solvable without tackling its root cause - people need to get on early in order to find a space for their carry on bags. As long as the amount people carry on exceeds the capacity of the interior of the plane to store it, there will be pressure to board early. If you knew that there would be space above your seat for your bag, guaranteed, then the trick would be to arrive last, not first.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I simply hate the Southwest style of boarding - I also acknowledge others love it.

I can't stand the numbering system - making you in a sense a number - and the lining up by number seems simply robotic to me....
As opposed to grouping up in a way that publicly telegraphs your status / class hierarchy, your value to the airline, and perhaps your personal economic means?

Southwest boarding culture does require you to get in line and consult your line-mates. But that is altogether better karma than being bulldozed by DYKWIAs and hanging back shamefacedly while awaiting Boarding Group 9.

With Southwest you are more inclined to make friends in line. It is egalitarian. With the others you are more inclined to resent other groups of pax and count them as opponents. It is nakedly classist and brings out the worst in people. Notice gate lice syndrome, where elites mass early in the priority lane so the proles can see who's most important, is virtually nonexistent at WN.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question the new UA boarding process works for me

So what exactly is your beef with the new UA boarding procedure? Envy??
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:37 am

I think it's interesting how things have morphed from what is the most efficient way to board the aircraft, to how can an individual's status be shown. A bit like arguing who should be seated at the head table. Reminds me of the movie War Games. How do you win at Thermonuclear War? Don't play the game...
AeRoSpaceman and wrp96 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.