Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to solve the boarding process once and for all for United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to solve the boarding process once and for all for United

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ckidder331
Why would you have to rearrange all of the gates? if there are 100 people in Group 1 they have to line up anyways...why not just put them in an order?
IMO for it to be successful you need to provide a structured area for them to do so, like WN does, rather than an unstructured line/mushroom into the walkway like UA does at hundreds of gates now.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Thoughts? You should have put this thought in the New Boarding master thread. @:-)
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The boarding process has very little to do with efficiency and a great deal to do with making people feel special who are not special.

In the case of a standard single aisle 2-class aircraft, the sole reason to board sooner rather than later is to secure OH space. Otherwise, who in their right mind would want to spend an extra 30 minutes in a seat on an aircraft? Remember, in the old days, F boarded last. Just for that reason.

Putting aside disabled passengers and maybe people with kids in strollers, the rest of the boarding should be in whatever order is most efficient. Maybe that is rear to front or windows to aisles or whatever.

At the same time, the failure to properly enforce carry on rules is the root of the current problem. I would certainly like to be the last person to the board and to know that there is a place for my bag. While there is no guarantee that even if the rules are enforced, that there will be enough space, it is a safer bet. But, this means GA's being ruthless about number and size and FA's keeping an eye on the bins and removing "personal" items from the OH until after boarding is complete and there is room for them.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: united, american, alaska
Originally Posted by Often1

In the case of a standard single aisle 2-class aircraft, the sole reason to board sooner rather than later is to secure OH space. Otherwise, who in their right mind would want to spend an extra 30 minutes in a seat on an aircraft? Remember, in the old days, F boarded last. Just for that reason.

Not quite the sole reason.

I travel lightly enough that my bag will almost always fit under the seat in front of me. But I am also usually sleep-deprived when traveling and boarding earlier means I can fall asleep in my seat earlier. That extra 30 minutes of sleep actually means something to me.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA MP
The boarding process has very little to do with efficiency and a great deal to do with making people feel special who are not special.

Putting aside disabled passengers and maybe people with kids in strollers, the rest of the boarding should be in whatever order is most efficient. Maybe that is rear to front or windows to aisles or whatever.

At the same time, the failure to properly enforce carry on rules is the root of the current problem. I would certainly like to be the last person to the board and to know that there is a place for my bag. While there is no guarantee that even if the rules are enforced, that there will be enough space, it is a safer bet. But, this means GA's being ruthless about number and size and FA's keeping an eye on the bins and removing "personal" items from the OH until after boarding is complete and there is room for them.
Personally, I enjoy boarding in advance. Its more comforting to get situated/ have a PDB earlier than crowding around a gate or rushing from the UCs.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
IMO for it to be successful you need to provide a structured area for them to do so, like WN does, rather than an unstructured line/mushroom into the walkway like UA does at hundreds of gates now.
Yes, and I can't even imagine how they would make that work the way T1 at ORD is configured currently. It would probably have to be a complete remodel. Many of the gates barely have room for the 3 lines, and there aren't enough seats for everyone to sit -- which is another, lesser contributor to people standing at the gate waiting to board.

It's definitely about making people feel special. If they wanted efficiency, families with small children and strollers would board last so they're not holding up everyone behind them.

I disagree that rule enforcement is the root of the problem. It has some impact, but honestly I don't see very many bags that are over the size limit, and I only see a handful of DYKWIA's placing both their items in the overhead bin, rather than placing one under the seat. The root causes, IMO, are 1) the fee to check bags -- everyone know has carry-ons. Even 10 years ago, it wasn't unusual to see a number of people walk onto a plane with no bags. 2) the bin space, while it has been increased on some planes, still isn't enough to fit every bag.

The reality is, at $25/bag, UA is never going to change this. So what if they have to check a few bags for free after the elites are boarded? It's better than letting people check all their bags for free.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mhnadel
Not quite the sole reason.

I travel lightly enough that my bag will almost always fit under the seat in front of me. But I am also usually sleep-deprived when traveling and boarding earlier means I can fall asleep in my seat earlier. That extra 30 minutes of sleep actually means something to me.
You sleep thru safety demonstration and take-off? You can't recline or go lie-flat. I don't think I've ever seen anyone asleep though these.

Originally Posted by BearX220
As opposed to grouping up in a way that publicly telegraphs your status / class hierarchy, your value to the airline, and perhaps your personal economic means?

Southwest boarding culture does require you to get in line and consult your line-mates. But that is altogether better karma than being bulldozed by DYKWIAs and hanging back shamefacedly while awaiting Boarding Group 9.

With Southwest you are more inclined to make friends in line. It is egalitarian. With the others you are more inclined to resent other groups of pax and count them as opponents. It is nakedly classist and brings out the worst in people. Notice gate lice syndrome, where elites mass early in the priority lane so the proles can see who's most important, is virtually nonexistent at WN.
Well, at United, you have no say what group you're in. Western allows some buy up in the boarding sequence. Don't give United ideas about selling boarding placement. I think Western sort of takes some of the angst out of boarding because one takes on more of the responsibility of where they are in line.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 21, 2018 at 3:40 pm
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This is only part of the problem. The other part is the reality that United (and other airlines) have crammed more seats into the same amount of space - and on top of that - made checked baggage a fee service. Even if the carry-on rule is ruthlessly enforced, United had created a perfect storm - more seats without a commensurate increase in OH space, and a financial incentive to bring more stuff into the cabin.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:53 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You sleep thru safety demonstration and take-off? You can't recline or go lie-flat. I don't think I've ever seen anyone asleep though these.
Yes, frequently. As soon as they pressurize the cabin, I'm out. Often wake up just as we are lifting off the runway.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:08 pm

Retrofit planes with larger overhead bins and/ or make a checked bag free. Solve the root problem.
kokonutz likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:25 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by 1P
Yes, frequently. As soon as they pressurize the cabin, I'm out. Often wake up just as we are lifting off the runway.
I do this more often than not. Don't need no stinkin' recline here.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Are you kidding? That's the best time to fall asleep - no one moving up and down the aisles, getting up in their seats, etc. Plus, I love the sensation of just rolling down the tarmac, it's quite sleep-inducing. With a good pair of noise-cancelling headphones, you don't hear anything anyway. I probably doze off somewhere between push-back and takeoff 75% of the time.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by swested
Are you kidding? That's the best time to fall asleep - no one moving up and down the aisles, getting up in their seats, etc. Plus, I love the sensation of just rolling down the tarmac, it's quite sleep-inducing. With a good pair of noise-cancelling headphones, you don't hear anything anyway. I probably doze off somewhere between push-back and takeoff 75% of the time.
I know this is off topic to the OP's post but I COMPLETELY agree with the previous poster. In fact, if I can fall asleep in these first few minutes, the purr of the engine will keep me knocked out for a good period of the flight. Thought it was just me.....
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:15 pm

Is this really a problem? What percentage of baggage on a flight will not fit in the oh? I make it a point to be one of the last to board and I had to gate check one time.granted I only travel 5-6 times a year so hopefully people can tell me how often they are forced to gate check because they didn't board early enough.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:39 pm

Is there an App that will automatically check you in at 24 hours? And send you a text or other alert if upgrades are available? This would avoid some of the angst...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.