Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2022, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee (Post # 1326)
Given a choice between UA and international carriers, status (or a corporate contract) is often the only good reason to choose UA. Certainly the only reason I'd choose UA over NH.
Including lifetime status, of course.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 6:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Premerger (with CO), It was standard practice every large airports, domestic or international. There was always a red carpet lane for GS and international F, followed by1K (and J?), and a shortcut for GS while other groups were boarding.
We CO elites had a blue carpet
SPN Lifer and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I realize not a big deal at non-hubs but it’s literally half the plane preboarding and group 1 at SFO on every flight I’ve taken except UAX and international.

It would cost nothing for UA to add 2 more numbers and board GS/F in group 1, 1K in group 2 and current group 1->3 and then 4-7.
UA clearly doesn’t know there is a problem, knows but doesn’t care, thinks GAs and/or passengers are too dumb to handle 7 groups (though WN and AA have more) or just plain stubborn. I’m betting on “doesn’t care”
Rare likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by ftweb
I am getting increasingly fed up with 1K pre-boarding. ...
Are we really supposed to treat 1K pre-boarding like some kind of contact sport where we all just shove each other out of the way and claw our way onto the aircraft?
Makes me glad I'm a lowly Group 1 member. I can wait for the preboarding chaos to clear and then go.

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Clearly this is an endemic problem. They should just get rid of 1Ks preboarding, and have them board after first class or a part of a specific boarding group. Problem solved.
Originally Posted by UAFAM
I hope UA follow DL and get rid of 1K pre-boarding and instead give priority to first class passengers:

1. People with disability, active military, ...
2. GS
3. First class
4. Family with kids < 2
5. Group 1 , ...
Didn't UA at one time do just that? I seem to remember that they did, but it feels like it was a long time ago.

Seems appropriate to do it that way. It feels odd to pay for a first class ticket and have to stand around waiting for all these other groups (lowercase "g") to board first. But I go with the flow, trying to stay out of the way while not missing my turn. Sometimes I don't worry about it, leisurely walking to the gate and boarding whenever I feel like it, sometimes last.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 4:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
While I agree it makes the most sense to renumber and drop "pre-boarding" the uproar for GS and 1Ks would be deafening. It would be considered a huge downgrade. While it would not change went they get on the plane, their specialiness would be insulted by a set boarding groups vs the uber-special "preboarding"
Too many measure their self-worth by their boarding group.
UA has created a monster that I suspect they would like to undue but can not.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While I agree it makes the most sense to renumber and drop "pre-boarding" the uproar for GS and 1Ks would be deafening. It would be considered a huge downgrade. While it would not change went they get on the plane, their specialiness would be insulted by a set boarding groups vs the uber-special "preboarding"
Too many measure their self-worth by their boarding group.
UA has created a monster that I suspect they would like to undue but can not.
They could easily fix their boarding process. Just go back to what pmUA used. Problem solved.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 8:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by halls120
They could easily fix their boarding process. Just go back to what pmUA used. Problem solved.
While I would be fine with that
Don't you think 1Ks would howl about losing their pre-boarding? Having to board with the unanointed non-elite first class or plats? It would be viewed as a major downgrade.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I realize not a big deal at non-hubs but it’s literally half the plane preboarding and group 1 at SFO on every flight I’ve taken except UAX and international.

It would cost nothing for UA to add 2 more numbers and board GS/F in group 1, 1K in group 2 and current group 1->3 and then 4-7.
UA clearly doesn’t know there is a problem, knows but doesn’t care, thinks GAs and/or passengers are too dumb to handle 7 groups (though WN and AA have more) or just plain stubborn. I’m betting on “doesn’t care”
This makes a lot of sense.

There will be an interesting side-effect. GAs will have to explain to UA credit card holders that "priority boarding" means group 4. Saying this with a straight face will require some training.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
As a ‘lowly’ group 4 boarder I felt the system worked well in the four domestic legs I recently took…..the first in three years.
Seeing gate staff refuse boarding to those ‘trying it’ out of sequence was a nice touch.
And I always got overhead space near my seat.
True I wasn’t aware of any rough and tumble of the initial groups but the behaviour of my fellow group 4ers was exemplary. Airports: LGA, ORD, DEN and FSD (where mid west courtesy always reigns).
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by FreFly
This makes a lot of sense.

There will be an interesting side-effect. GAs will have to explain to UA credit card holders that "priority boarding" means group 4. Saying this with a straight face will require some training.
AA and DL both board their respective credit card holders in group 4 or later. Their boarding processes are much more orderly than UA.

1K, self boarders, DYKWIA pax and GAs are all contributing to the normally chaotic boarding process that is of UA. There is a reason UA has the longest scheduled boarding time.
Boraxo and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 2:00 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by chavala
We CO elites had a blue carpet
In the early days after the merger, UA boarding suddenly became much more chaotic compared to pre-merger. There was a meeting of elite flyers and UA executives, and someone asked why not bring back the red carpet lane because it worked greatly before. Jeff Smisek responded immediately: "Red is not in our vocabulary!" As long as JS was concerned, blue was the only noble color and red was to be eliminated forever. As of today I still could not understand why he had such hatred on pmUA's red color.

Don't you think 1Ks would howl about losing their pre-boarding? Having to board with the unanointed non-elite first class or plats? It would be viewed as a major downgrade.
You are absolutely correct. Kirby has decided on a strategy to enhance the prestige value of 1K to as high as possible. The psychological heads of 1Ks must be inflated to as big as possible. Tactics including hiding or removing the GS sign at some check in counters. In Taipei I did not know where to line up because the highest counter position was 1K. Making 1K the last subgroup of preboarding was entirely for this purpose, and the success of this strategy is becoming clearer now. I have observed more than a few times after the GA calls preboarding, older-age GSs (including myself) being pushed aside by younger, more physically fit 1Ks.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by PanAmWT; Nov 25, 2022 at 2:10 am
Old Nov 25, 2022, 6:35 am

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
Just like my toddler howls when you take a toy away from him. Then again, in my opinion, paid first should not board with G1, they should be boarding ahead of elites, if not with them.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by 1200GS
Just like my toddler howls when you take a toy away from him. Then again, in my opinion, paid first should not board with G1, they should be boarding ahead of elites, if not with them.
Damn right! Even though I am a 1K, I believe that those who actually pay for F should board first. I like flying on AA with no elite status because paid F boards early, behind only CK.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

While I can’t speak for all 1Ks, when the red carpet line went away, IMHO that is when UA’s boarding process went south. We flew DL last week, and their process is much like what UAs used to be. And it works.

UA hit a gold mine when it learned how to monetize the front cabin. Then they got greedy and decided to sell free baggage and early boarding as “elite” perks, and the result is the mess that is UA’s boarding process of today.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post # 1354)
Originally Posted by 1200GS (Post # 1359)
My children never howled for that reason -- and seldom for others. The secret is to distract them. Entice them with something else!

Perhaps a special 1K preboard line or waiting area?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.