Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

This seatmap is being used for all flights will an sUA 777-200ER scheduled. It is being used to guard against equipment swaps into one of the three possible seating configurations: legacy sUA 3-class (8F/40J and 3-3-3 in Y), 2-class Polaris (50J and 3-4-3Y), and 3-class Polaris/PE (50J/24W and 3-4-3 Y). The actual seatmap for the aircraft assigned to your flight will become available when the flight is added to the normal Flight Status display, approximately 60 hours before departure (usually overnight).

Blocks in Economy are at all 'F' seats, plus 20CH, 21BJ, 22BJ, and 35ABCDE (the last for accommodation). The blocks are designed so that, regardless of which equipment flies, no one will be moved or scrambled when the seatmap updates. Instead, some seats will unblock and some blocked seats may be deleted based on the real configuration, and then some rows may be added. This process is similar to that for the 757-300, 737-900, and other frames with uncertain configurations.

Some danger remains if there are more equipment swaps after the initial frame assignment, and the change from F/J to Polaris in the forward cabins is not a well-defined mapping.

Premium Economy, if on the plane used, would be Rows 20-22, Seats AB[ ]DEFG[ ]KL

Similarly, as Premium Plus is added to the existing Polaris 773s, Rows 19/20/21 seats B & K are not shown, to accommodate potential swaps between PP & non-PP equipped aircraft.

It is speculated that once PP is offered as a true separate cabin. UA will focus the PP equipped aircraft on a few selected routes to minimize the swap risk.
Print Wikipost

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vaguba
Looks like their batch job for plane assignment ran already:
2-4-2 seating arrangement is their not yet launched premium plus product, right? Hopefully this plane assignment sticks.
Yes -- you're currently assigned to a PE seat. ^
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
My 777 for tomorrow's flight is on its 4th flip flop between 3 cabin and new Polaris seat in the last 6 hours. Each flip results in a new seat assignment, including some heart attack assignments in the middle of business on the 3 cabin plane row. I'm back on the new Polaris cabin and have 25 hours before departure. How many more times will it flip back/forth?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
My 777 for tomorrow's flight is on its 4th flip flop between 3 cabin and new Polaris seat in the last 6 hours. Each flip results in a new seat assignment, including some heart attack assignments in the middle of business on the 3 cabin plane row. I'm back on the new Polaris cabin and have 25 hours before departure. How many more times will it flip back/forth?
lol mine changed too, from a new polaris + PE to one of the old 3-3-3 economy layout planes. here's hoping it changes again to a better plane tomorrow.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
4 is more than typical, but UA ops will keep swapping planes to meet the needs of other flights. Swaps can happen until boarding starts, and even afterward in case of IRROPs.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I have the Prem Plus placeholder seatmap, and have selected 20B (as it appears to be an aisle assuming It ends up being new config) how risky is this seat assignment? If it reverts to the old config, does this mean I’ll be in a middle- or is Row 20 on the side still a x2 seat config?

20A is also open. Thanks- this is all so confusing.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by globetraveler
I have the Prem Plus placeholder seatmap, and have selected 20B (as it appears to be an aisle assuming It ends up being new config) how risky is this seat assignment? If it reverts to the old config, does this mean I’ll be in a middle- or is Row 20 on the side still a x2 seat config?

20A is also open. Thanks- this is all so confusing.
Recent reports have indicated UA variously keeps or removes people seated in rows 20-22 when the premium plus map gets loaded, with no as-of-yet discernible rationale. Some people have found seats stuck, many have been relocated several rows back, including outside E+.

If you end up with the older config, 20B is a aisle-ish seat in a block of two

Whether I’d pick row 20 on the interim map would depend how much I’d regret not getting E+ at all. If E+ were essential, I’d pick a seat that’s E+ in both configs. If I could handle an E- seat I would gamble on row 20-22 and hope it sticks.

Regardless, if/when the new config loads, check the seat map frequently in case a PP seat opens up. It may still swap back, but that would maximize your chances of scoring one of the new seats.

Last edited by prometa; Mar 7, 2019 at 3:56 pm
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by prometa

If you end up with the older config, 20B is a middle seat in a block of three.

I don't think so. I sat many times in 20B or the equivalent seat in the other side (20J) in the pmUA 3 class 772 and it was a bulkhead aisle seat. In the old configuration Row 20 has only 2 seats on the sides. So, it's 2-3-2. Row 21 is 3-3-3.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH

I don't think so. I sat many times in 20B or the equivalent seat in the other side (20J) in the pmUA 3 class 772 and it was a bulkhead aisle seat. In the old configuration Row 20 has only 2 seats on the sides. So, it's 2-3-2. Row 21 is 3-3-3.
You're right -- thanks. I swear I looked at a seatmap before writing my post, but have no idea what seatmap it was I looked at--20A/B is obviously two seats right in the wiki image.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
So I am wondering. For an upcoming SFO-LHR flight one thing I have noticed is that at some point in time the new app (which I accidentally upgraded to) does not let me look at the seatmap. I have not been checking religiously but at about T-7 I go from being able to look ay my seat by using "Change seat" (and I do wish they would make that Change/View seat!) to getting the message "Sorry, we're currently unable to load the seatmap.......". I may be putting 2 + 2 together and coming up with 5 but I wonder if this is an indicator that a change of plane is imminent at some stage. I wondered if anyone else had noticed similar. As I say it might just be coincidence, United's IT, new app (and I am about to install the old app to see what happens), or nothing!

ETA: Old app will not show seatmap either, but is viewable on the website.

Last edited by Silver Fox; Mar 8, 2019 at 8:05 am
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: Mileageplus
Originally Posted by prometa

Recent reports have indicated UA variously keeps or removes people seated in rows 20-22 when the premium plus map gets loaded, with no as-of-yet discernible rationale. Some people have found seats stuck, many have been relocated several rows back, including outside E+.

If you end up with the older config, 20B is a aisle-ish seat in a block of two

Whether I’d pick row 20 on the interim map would depend how much I’d regret not getting E+ at all. If E+ were essential, I’d pick a seat that’s E+ in both configs. If I could handle an E- seat I would gamble on row 20-22 and hope it sticks.

Regardless, if/when the new config loads, check the seat map frequently in case a PP seat opens up. It may still swap back, but that would maximize your chances of scoring one of the new seats.
I am two weeks out for a SFO-TPE fight wanting to maximize my chance of getting a PP seat. I have to pay for E+ as I have no status with UA. Would it be advantageous to select/buy a seat in rows 19-21 and hope when it changes to a PP config'ed aircraft it sticks? Or is it a crapshoot what happens and I may be out $$$ and get re-assigned to regular E?

Originally Posted by emcampbe
So an update to my last post above.

Decided to wait until the updated seat map posted, which happened overnight last night. Not sure exactly when, but sometime at around 2:30 am eastern time. Silvers here. Originally, we were in row 24, and were moved to row 32, so regular E+ seats. Checked the seat map to see how much the premium plus seats would be vs. the regular E+ seats. This is where I got a shocker.

So it allowed me to select the available seats in rows 20-22 for free. But other E+ seats in row 30 and beyond were charging the various amounts (I think $124 for an aisle). So not sure if there is a reason it was letting me switch to the Premium Plus seats without fee - moved on the app, and checked on website, and both were doing the same thing. I wonder if it is accommodation for this specific PNR (we were given E+ seats free of charge by an agent - at her insistence, I didn't ask - because it took an hour and a half to get this reservation properly sorted (it kept trying to kick me off the LH segment)). But then I'm thinking that can't be it...why would it allow the PP seats for free, but not the regular E+. Whatever happened, as long as nothing changes, I'm happy.
I heard also you may even get to select these seats for free from an earlier post (above). WOW does that mean I should just not change to row 19-21 and pay the extra $200?
Help!

Last edited by FeiTaipei; Mar 8, 2019 at 6:46 pm
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
1K here was booked on 19A PP and within 48 hrs before departure was booted to 20D PP
and no row 19 exists

773 aircraft

are they renumbering rows or is this a generic map?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by boycruz
1K here was booked on 19A PP and within 48 hrs before departure was booted to 20D PP
and no row 19 exists

773 aircraft

are they renumbering rows or is this a generic map?
Row 19 doesn’t exist on the 77W with premium plus.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28

Row 19 doesn’t exist on the 77W with premium plus.
this is the seatmap for late march

Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Very, Very unlikely (and only in serious irrops) -- they may go to a different 772 version

Air carriers will make seasonal changes in the size of aircraft used for routes

so if they sell more than 30 seats up front does that mean there’s no way we end up with the new Polaris config?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bariww
so if they sell more than 30 seats up front does that mean there’s no way we end up with the new Polaris config?
That's not the way it works. The plan is for that route to use 772 which may or may not be an older lie flat or new Polaris. if for some reason UA had not sold 30 seats up front (a near 0% chance of that), UA will not revert to the 763. However, any 772 route has a chance of getting a Polaris seat configuration and that chance increases with time as conversions proceed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.