Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buy 1K status in charity auction closes today! - extended to noon cdt 12 March 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy 1K status in charity auction closes today! - extended to noon cdt 12 March 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
What on earth are you talking about? $8K is a ridiculously high value for 1K. 1K -- with the GPUs -- might be worth $3K; $4K on the outside. If I'm tracking toward $9K PQD at the end of the year, I might try to hit 1K. If I'm tracking toward $7500, I'll take Gold. GS might be worth $8K, I guess, if there's a lot of PN inventory on the routes that you'd fly.

You've omitted the value of the travel in your calculation. If UA gave you $12K worth of excess value for spending $12K, you'd be getting the flights for free.
1. That's why I said 'if you just look at the status perspective'.
2. Your argument of upgrade instruments means nothing if the auction does not say 6 GPUs/3 RPUs will be included. Good luck getting CPUs in this world when the auction doesn't even mention PS, some Hawaii, and INTL flights are not eligible for CPUs.
3. Some people can technically buy a status without even flying. You can book an award and get Premier status by purchasing Premier accelerator. The offer shown in my award reservation is 15k PQM for $1650. Assuming you get 7x of that, it would be 105k PQM for $11550USD (with foreign address because apparently it doesn't count towards PQDs, just like this certificate won't give you 12k PQDs from the auction).

PS: My previous post does not mention anything about flights. I am just looking at the value perspective of the status. If you include flights, then it's a different topic of discussion.
weiwunokenan likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
What on earth are you talking about? $8K is a ridiculously high value for 1K. 1K -- with the GPUs -- might be worth $3K; $4K on the outside. If I'm tracking toward $9K PQD at the end of the year, I might try to hit 1K. If I'm tracking toward $7500, I'll take Gold. GS might be worth $8K, I guess, if there's a lot of PN inventory on the routes that you'd fly.

You've omitted the value of the travel in your calculation. If UA gave you $12K worth of excess value for spending $12K, you'd be getting the flights for free.
Well, I do understand your point, but if we're considering the value of the travel, then the valuation will obviously change based on one's travel habits. For example, 4 family trips with 8 family members in E+, baggage allowances, possible upgrades (whether certs or cpu), *G status (if one didn't have it before)/international lounge access, priority access, etc., it starts to add up.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
+1. I have absolutely no idea why they have to put a market value on it. What baffles me is they don't even think it's worth at 12k, so for every sucker who plays this FFP game, UA is essentially saying you don't get what you pay for, if you just look at the status perspective.
There has to be a fair market value ascribed to the item. If you win the item for $14K, you have a $2K tax deduction for the value of your purchase less any goods or services received in return. If you snag the item for $10K, you don't get a tax deduction.

You are not obligated to accept the $12K valuation, but will need to document a different value and you would face a mountain of paperwork which UA has prepared for tax purposes, as to why $12K is the number.

No different than attending a $1,000 per plate charity dinner where the receipt indicates that the value for the dinner was $50. You get a $950 deduction.
PaulInTheSky and NoLaGent like this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Pretty sure they are required to give it a market value for the charitable cause. I could be wrong
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:36 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Pretty sure they are required to give it a market value for the charitable cause. I could be wrong
That is what I thought also until I saw this one, https://www.biddingforgood.com/aucti...n?id=312379008
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
I value the gpu at $1800 each so when you get 6 of them it has some value

i only use the on the same flight LAX-Mel and return so the difference between business and coach is usually about $1800

tough buy at $8K without gpu but in the end it is for a charity so if you are going to donate this might be the best offer for your money
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by mcgahat
That is what I thought also until I saw this one, https://www.biddingforgood.com/aucti...n?id=312379008
Agreed, $1,428/nt for a 5-bdr home in Planation Estates on Maui is ridiculously low.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
1. That's why I said 'if you just look at the status perspective'.
2. Your argument of upgrade instruments means nothing if the auction does not say 6 GPUs/3 RPUs will be included. Good luck getting CPUs in this world when the auction doesn't even mention PS, some Hawaii, and INTL flights are not eligible for CPUs.
3. Some people can technically buy a status without even flying. You can book an award and get Premier status by purchasing Premier accelerator. The offer shown in my award reservation is 15k PQM for $1650. Assuming you get 7x of that, it would be 105k PQM for $11550USD (with foreign address because apparently it doesn't count towards PQDs, just like this certificate won't give you 12k PQDs from the auction).

PS: My previous post does not mention anything about flights. I am just looking at the value perspective of the status. If you include flights, then it's a different topic of discussion.
Your argument makes no sense. You've called people "suckers" for being 1K, because they're not getting $12K in excess value from 1K status, but you're ignoring the value of the travel. Now, if you're regularly paying 3x a competitor's fare in order to fly UA and qualify for 1K, OK, fine -- you need to get a pretty high amount of excess value from status. Or, if you're spending $12K on Award Accelerator instead of flying -- well, that's on you.

Looking at the value perspective of status on its own makes no sense, because -- with the exception of people winning auctions or buying 105K in Award Accelerator miles -- it's silly to ascribe 100% of the purchase price to status qualification.

Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
They're not worth $1800 each. You can upgrade a K fare for $600 plus 30K miles, and you can pretty reliably buy the miles at about $0.02/each. So, the absolute upper bound for the value of a GPU is $1200, and that's assuming that K fares are never available in your market and that you can always clear your instruments.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist

i only use the on the same flight LAX-Mel and return so the difference between business and coach is usually about $1800
I thought most FTers value GPUs at ~$500. I'm having trouble to clear a GPU for IAD-CDG even on a H fare.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've bid on items like this not so much for the item itself but for the underlying charitable donation for a good cause. The current bid is $1700 which sounds good if it stands.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:15 pm

The auction emailed me back about GPU/RPU inclusion with this response:

"Hi NoLaGent,

You would get everything listed here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/default.aspx

Good luck!"

So...the chart says RPU/GPU eligibility, which should be construed as you fly it, you earn it. However, my gut says you'd probably get them. As we all know, UA is consistently inconsistent. I'd say the odds are approximately 50/50 they'd be deposited in your account once the 1k status was activated.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by NoLaGent

"Hi NoLaGent,

You would get everything listed here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/default.aspx

Good luck!"

So...the chart says RPU/GPU eligibility, which should be construed as you fly it, you earn it. However, my gut says you'd probably get them. As we all know, UA is consistently inconsistent. I'd say the odds are approximately 50/50 they'd be deposited in your account once the 1k status was activated.
I had e-mailed them too and got the same answer a couple of minutes ago, they probably don't really know either. Also the next bid is now at $2,100 which is outside my comfortzone for a *bet* on GPUs
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by mrt88
I had e-mailed them too and got the same answer a couple of minutes ago, they probably don't really know either. Also the next bid is now at $2,100 which is outside my comfortzone for a *bet* on GPUs
Same here. It'll be interesting to see what it goes for once people are having some wine and bidding onsite.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
They're not worth $1800 each. You can upgrade a K fare for $600 plus 30K miles, and you can pretty reliably buy the miles at about $0.02/each. So, the absolute upper bound for the value of a GPU is $1200, and that's assuming that K fares are never available in your market and that you can always clear your instruments.
And in practice it will be less because the W premium is going to be at least $200, and probably more.

That's way high, even if you're able to use the GPU on a flight that fits your schedule. If you can't use it, the value is zero. Increasingly, I find the value to be zero.

Originally Posted by CIT85
I thought most FTers value GPUs at ~$500. I'm having trouble to clear a GPU for IAD-CDG even on a H fare.
To the extent there's a market value, it would be derived from ebay/craigslist, where they're commonly priced at $400.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by NoLaGent

"Hi NoLaGent,

Good luck!"

Do people who get softlandings from Global Services to 1K get the GPUs if they didnt otherwise qualify for 1K? That might help answer the questions. I lost GS recently but already qualified for 1K on my own so I didnt get anything additional as a soft landing wasnt required but what happens in true soft landing cases can answer the question on whether you will get the GPUs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.