Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buy 1K status in charity auction closes today! - extended to noon cdt 12 March 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy 1K status in charity auction closes today! - extended to noon cdt 12 March 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by onthesam
Context is necessary - that's a household with more than 2MM including two members 1MM+. What possible good would be served for UA to make rules to limit that kind of privilege? I think this 'chain 1K' is not a big deal and it probably would not be good business to take it away. Probably not too prevalent either.
Thank you. My daughter is a VERY infrequent flier and so is little threat at all. Regarding spouse and myself, we BOTH flew over 1MM so each earned the status. You want me to drop her as a companion and her drop my daughter? WE would still have the same benefits! Good grief!
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by sgfood
I don't feel guilty about it. !'ve flown almost 1.5 MM with united, was 1k for 10 years and paid for almost all of it out of my own pocket. Well in excess of $90k over 19 years. I think myself and my family earned it. What is the jealousy factor about some members of this site?
It was a compliment. Good grief this board is thin skinned.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer

It was a compliment. Good grief this board is thin skinned.
My apologies, I read your comment wrong it seems. Again, no offense.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
True FT spirit. One 1K buy turns into 1K for three.
And for 19 months! Well done sgfood!!
FlyngSvyr likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I need to create a reminder to periodically check that site for future offers!
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by TomMM
I need to create a reminder to periodically check that site for future offers!

I have been on biddingforgood.com consistently for 6 years and this is the first time I have seen something like this. I do rounds of golf from charity auctions regularly as well as things in Chicago for my family.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by schley
I have been on biddingforgood.com consistently for 6 years and this is the first time I have seen something like this.

Considering the $$, goodwill and warm fuzzy feelings this auction generated, maybe UA (and other carriers) will step up to the plate more often.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by JetAway
Considering the $$, goodwill and warm fuzzy feelings this auction generated, maybe UA (and other carriers) will step up to the plate more often.
So you can deduct price paid - fair market value from your taxes for these sorts of auctions. What is FMV for 1K status for 18 months, somewhere between $2K and $3K I suspect?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
People would buy status for 12k without upgrades just for the wallet candy!
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
So you can deduct price paid - fair market value from your taxes for these sorts of auctions. What is FMV for 1K status for 18 months, somewhere between $2K and $3K I suspect?
From the IRS website;

"Charity Auctions. Donors who purchase items at a charity auction may claim a charitable contribution deduction for the excess of the purchase price paid for an item over its fair market value. The donor must be able to show, however, that he or she knew that the value of the item was less than the amount paid."

The fair market value on the auction site stated $8,000, therefore no deduction.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: None - previously UA

The fair market value on the auction site stated $8,000, therefore no deduction.
Is fair market value necessarily what United says it is? I wouldn't spend more than $3500 for 1K and I suspect not many would spend $8000.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:21 pm

Is fair market value necessarily what United says it is? I wouldn't spend more than $3500 for 1K and I suspect not many would spend $8000.
I would love to to know other ways to assess the fair market value, seriously. I agree $8,000 seems to have little basis seeing it takes a $12,000 spend without taxes to qualify flying.

Could one use United's own criteria that 1k is a $3k additional spend than Plat if one already has that status?

Last edited by sgfood; Mar 20, 2018 at 5:26 pm Reason: addition
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
I would love to to know other ways to assess the fair market value, seriously. I agree $8,000 seems to have little basis seeing it takes a $12,000 spend without taxes to qualify flying.

Could one use United's own criteria that 1k is a $3k additional spend than Plat if one already has that status?
It's not up to United to list the FMV, it's up to the seller (the school in this case) as I mentioned back in Post #37 to provide the disclosure statement for tax purposes. The onus lies with them, not UA:

Disclosure Statement

The required written disclosure statement must:

a. Inform the donor that the amount of the contribution that is deductible for federal income tax purposes is limited to the excess of any money (and the value of any property other than money) contributed by the donor over the fair market value of goods or services provided by the charity, and

b. Provide the donor with a good faith estimate of the fair market value of the goods or services that the donor received. The charity must furnish the statement in connection with either the solicitation or the receipt of the quid pro quo contribution. If the disclosure statement is furnished in connection with a particular solicitation, it is not necessary for the organization to provide another statement when it actually receives the contribution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.