Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buy 1K status in charity auction closes today! - extended to noon cdt 12 March 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy 1K status in charity auction closes today! - extended to noon cdt 12 March 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:29 pm

Did the end date shift to the 12th for anyone else?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat
Originally Posted by eeflyer
Yes. What the heck?

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I've actually been considering bidding for the last 15 minutes....it's sitting at $3200 as I type this.

With my AS/VX flying last year, I dropped to Silver on UA, went up to MVPG on AS.

Is $3200 (assuming no gpu/rpu) worth Silver to 1k?

I'm kind of on the fence.
If you do a lot of travel and have freedom in your travel schedule, then yes! My CPU rate is 14 for 20 this year, and I have saved about 1K in award change fees over Plat at $50- a pop.

Good Luck!
NoLaGent likes this.

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Yup, was just going to post that. 3/12 at 11:59amCDT.

I wonder if there was a minimum that wasn't met, or why it changed? If I was that last bidder at $3200 I'd be livid.

How strange.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:32 pm

Yup, was just going to post that. 3/12 at 11:59amCDT.

I wonder if there was a minimum that wasn't met, or why it changed? If I was that last bidder at $3200 I'd be livid.

How strange.
Yeah I'm not participating since this is too rich for my blood but was very interested in seeing where it ended up. From what I could tell, it changed somewhere between 1-2 minutes remaining so I'm not sure if that was an automated bump or not.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:32 pm

In addition to the time shift, bidding is suddenly going nuts. Price has gone up by $800 within the last minute.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:33 pm

Yeah I'm not participating since this is too rich for my blood but was very interested in seeing where it ended up. From what I could tell, it changed somewhere between 1-2 minutes remaining so I'm not sure if that was an automated bump or not.
It has a message saying it will bump automatically by 5 minutes if there's a bid within the last 5 minutes. Maybe an IT glitch with a whole bunch of bids in the last 5 minutes?
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by jm0933
In addition to the time shift, bidding is suddenly going nuts. Price has gone up by $800 within the last minute.
Very interesting. There's obviously a bidding war going on between 2 folks when you look at the bid history. Maybe it was decided onsite to extend it for that reason?

I'd still be pissed if I had that $3200 bid.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
There's obviously a bidding war going on between 2 folks when you look at the bid history.
ddc4c6cd3 obviously put in a high bid, and the system is auto-bidding to that level. bs49f5899 is bidding manually.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by jm0933
It has a message saying it will bump automatically by 5 minutes if there's a bid within the last 5 minutes. Maybe an IT glitch with a whole bunch of bids in the last 5 minutes?
Ah I see, that's probably what it is. Like NoLaGent mentioned, also looks like a bid battle going on. If only I had some popcorn or stroopwafels to snack on while watching
onthesam likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
It includes the upgrades as the lady emailed me back.

Hi Jeff,

You would get everything listed here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/default.aspx

Good luck!

I told them to extend the bidding now that FT knows and they did!!!!!! So will be nice to pump it up and help charity.

It seems clear to me that you get what the page says and the page says 1K’s get the upgrades. Not sure why you guys are doubting it.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 10, 2018 at 9:22 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by schley
It seems clear to me that you get what the page says and the page says 1K’s get the upgrades. Not sure why you guys are doubting it.
We must be reading different pages. The page she linked says nothing about receiving you get RPUs or GPUs. All it says is GPU eligibility. It seems very clear that you would not get any RPUs or GPUs.

There's a reason the person running the auction doesn't want to give a straight answer. If she does, she'll either lose bidders or have to lie. Standard auction scam.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
We must be reading different pages. The page she linked says nothing about receiving you get RPUs or GPUs. All it says is GPU eligibility. It seems very clear that you would not get any RPUs or GPUs.

There's a reason the person running the auction doesn't want to give a straight answer. If she does, she'll either lose bidders or have to lie. Standard auction scam.
The page is the benefits chart and it states what we know look at the premier 1K column and what is there? GPU’s and RPU’s. This is supporting a high school these people running it have no idea the nuances of the status, nor are they disingenuous about the description. I have purchased at least 150 charity auction items in the last 10 years and in the entire time I only had 1 issue with the item I purchased.

To say “Standard Auction Scam” is taking a dark look at things at best and simply a fallacy at worst to fit your world view, these are charity auctions, so I hope you can find some items that will help you and your family, because it definitely will help others.^
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The page is the benefits chart and it states what we know look at the premier 1K column and what is there? GPU’s and RPU’s....
I could refer a 1K status match candidate to the same page. Does that page mean they get the certificates, too? Someone can indeed be accorded 1K status and not get the certificates (not saying that's positively the case here). If you carefully read the page you have referenced, you'll see the word "eligibility". There's actually a reason "eligibility" is there. You are eligible to get them if you fly the 100k and spend the $12k (or have 3MM status). The bidding winner has (probably) achieved none of this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 10, 2018 at 10:10 pm
Old Mar 10, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
these people running it have no idea the nuances of the status,.^
I’d say highly unlikely it comes with GPUs and your alleged email evidence is suspect for the reason quoted above.

What is relevant here though is the benefits and cost of a gifted 1K status. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 11, 2018 at 12:14 pm Reason: Innappropriate personal comment removed, FT rule 12

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.