Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Buy 1K status in charity auction closes today! - extended to noon cdt 12 March 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy 1K status in charity auction closes today! - extended to noon cdt 12 March 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by schley
It includes the upgrades as the lady emailed me back.

Hi Jeff,

You would get everything listed here: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/default.aspx

Good luck!

I told them to extend the bidding now that FT knows and they did!!!!!! So will be nice to pump it up and help charity.

It seems clear to me that you get what the page says and the page says 1K’s get the upgrades. Not sure why you guys are doubting it.
Well, I guess we know who the person who bid $3200 expecting the auction to actually close should be angry with!

We discussed the eligibility clause re: GPU/RPUs many posts back, and it's not something anyone should count on. It could happen, and at the price it's going for now, it should.

But yes, I'm happy they're getting great interest in their auction item. So there's that...
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
We discussed the eligibility clause re: GPU/RPUs many posts back, and it's not something anyone should count on. It could happen, and at the price it's going for now, it should.
The fact that GPUs are not expressly listed in the auction description as one of the benefits suggests to me that they're probably not included. These are arguably the most valuable benefit of 1K . . . I'd kind of expect them to be listed if they were.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Kacee
The fact that GPUs are not expressly listed in the auction description as one of the benefits suggests to me that they're probably not included. These are arguably the most valuable benefit of 1K . . . I'd kind of expect them to be listed if they were.
I agree, but as our helpful OP pointed out, the auction people really have no idea, so nor do we.

It might've stood a better chance of happening accidentally due to IT, but this one's way above the radar now. It's definitely good news for Our Lady of Mount Carmel Academy, though!
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Now $5300
Old Mar 11, 2018, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Now $5300
That seems to be really pushing it. I thought I was off the deep end for FT when I ran for 3,000 PQD last year, but at least I got a free trip to Hawaii with my coaster set
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K
I don’t think the extension was necessarily related to this item as I had signed up for the auction and received this email “
ecause of technical issues, the Emerald Auction is extended until 11:59AM CT on Monday, March 12, so watch your items and keep bidding!

Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat
Originally Posted by findark
That seems to be really pushing it. I thought I was off the deep end for FT when I ran for 3,000 PQD last year, but at least I got a free trip to Hawaii with my coaster set
Well at least at this price, I won't have to wonder whether I should have gone for it or not.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Buyer is going to be in for quite a shock when they don't get any GPUs/RPUs.

$5K+ for the CPU lottery is certifiably insane.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Buyer is going to be in for quite a shock when they don't get any GPUs/RPUs.

$5K+ for the CPU lottery is certifiably insane.
The buyer may not even think it's a "lottery" for CPUs. Buyer may think (from the wording and lack of fine print) that the upgrades are guaranteed.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Well, I guess we know who the person who bid $3200 expecting the auction to actually close should be angry with!
That would be me and I have no problem with that at all, this isn't a legal contract it is a charity auction put on to raise money for a charity to help. They had no idea how to market this and I felt good to help them out and steer them some traffic which this board obviously did. ^

Disclaimer:::::::: IMO they package includes the upgrades, but I could be wrong.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
... IMO they package includes the upgrades, but I could be wrong.
The auction people need to contact their United people, get a definitive answer, and post it on the auction page.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
This is a school auction to support Mt. Carmel Academy - a preK-8th grade Catholic school located on the North Side of Chicago. As UA is not shown as listed sponsor of their "Emeralds Are Forever" auction event (held last night), I'm guessing that there is some other (perhaps parent/alum) connection to someone who works at Willis. The answer you seek may not be available on a Sunday, especially in the morning...
Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat
Originally Posted by Bonehead
The auction people need to contact their United people, get a definitive answer, and post it on the auction page.
Eh, at this point I don't think it makes a difference for them. With how high the price has already gone, I don't know if saying it definitely comes with GPUs is going to cause additional bidding. The bidders now are people who don't mind spending the extra money to benefit the school, not people who are carefully assessing the value proposition of buying 1k for $5,300.

Although for those of us spectating and trying to assess how bad of a price this ends up being, it would be helpful.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
That would be me and I have no problem with that at all, this isn't a legal contract it is a charity auction put on to raise money for a charity to help. They had no idea how to market this and I felt good to help them out and steer them some traffic which this board obviously did. ^

Disclaimer:::::::: IMO they package includes the upgrades, but I could be wrong.
Status matches and MM companion 1K don't get upgrade certs.
Unless UA confirms otherwise, I highly doubt the winner of this auction will either.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Status matches and MM companion 1K don't get upgrade certs.
Unless UA confirms otherwise, I highly doubt the winner of this auction will either.
Status matches to Plat now get 1 RPU and I believe to 1K have gotten 1 or 2 GPU.
But that doesn't mean this status will come with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.