Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX - SIN Mileage Run

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Well, lots of luck. Having personally completed two this year. One like yours with sub two hours and one just over forty eight. The short turn around allowed for little more than a stretch of the legs and back on board.
The forty eight was slightly better, hanging out with old military buddies and partying from touch down to takeoff. I really got lucky on the return with hobo first.
tstauck likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 6:33 pm
GDL

Programs: VB, UA, AM
Originally Posted by tstauck
That's what I've heard too - that you need to get that sticker for the back of the passport, so I do plan on stopping there at the transfer desk. Map of the airport printed already!
Keep in mind that the United Transfer Desk (located at Transfer E) does not open until 8am. The first time I did a quick-turn I camped out by transfer desk and they opened up around 7:45am. There you can get your passport sticker, security questions, and return boarding pass all in one.
I think you'll have enough time to do all you've mentioned without feeling rushed. Enjoy Changi.
tstauck likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tstauck
Looking at the map, looks like I arrive in T2 and the lounge and showers are in T3, so that will be the first trek. Then the butterfly garden in T3, and maybe massage, time permitting. It is a tight turnaround as I plan it in more detail!
There’s a SQ lounge in T2 too. Right after you pass the transfer desk and are walking towards the train, take a sharp left and look up for the lounge sign. Take the escalator up and the SilverKris lounge is straight ahead.
tstauck likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by GDL
Keep in mind that the United Transfer Desk (located at Transfer E) does not open until 8am. The first time I did a quick-turn I camped out by transfer desk and they opened up around 7:45am. There you can get your passport sticker, security questions, and return boarding pass all in one.
I think you'll have enough time to do all you've mentioned without feeling rushed. Enjoy Changi.
My mileage run was back in the EWR-HKG-SIN-HKG-EWR days. I had my BP's already and departure was around 5:00am, so the transfer desk wouldn't have been open. With the schedule now, you should have time to make that stop.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by nomad420
Ugghhhh, but at least you have Polaris on the way back. I use to have to do this run pretty regularly for work when I believe it still was the "longest flight in the world".
As in you did an out-and-back for work, or you stayed a few days? That would be rather evil if work forced you to fly to Singapore and spend only two hours on the ground.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by dordal

As in you did an out-and-back for work, or you stayed a few days? That would be rather evil if work forced you to fly to Singapore and spend only two hours on the ground.
On my return trip from SIN last fall I met a gentleman who was working as a courier and was sent to collect a signature (and was getting paid to do exactly the above mentioned turnaround). Needless to say he slept the entire flight. He was in Y+ both ways.

SAP
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
Another suggestion, although you have limited time there, is there are several places to get a message and you may need it. I can't remember precisely where I use to go but I am sure can find them.
As I recall, Changi's wifi coverage makes it possible for one to receive a "message" just about anywhere in the terminal.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Regarding the outdoor gardens, I don't recall if it was all or some, but at least one of them allowed smoking, which killed off the "fresh air" aspect. Might have been the Sunflower lounge.

The flight itself is more bearable than many give credit for. There may actually be something to the higher cabin pressure in the 787 making a difference. I've done two round trips so far, both surprisingly tolerable in coach. Just remember, in a 3x3x3 plane, an aisle in the middle section is best because you'll only have one person climbing over you, and there's a 50% chance he or she won't. Stats aren't so favorable for the outside two sections!
ContinentalFan and GDL like this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kale73
As I recall, Changi's wifi coverage makes it possible for one to receive a "message" just about anywhere in the terminal.
Except the challenge with the WiFi is that you either need to be able to receive an SMS code or need to be able to access one of the kiosks that can provide you with a code (not sure if they have those before the transfer desk).
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Regarding the outdoor gardens, I don't recall if it was all or some, but at least one of them allowed smoking, which killed off the "fresh air" aspect. Might have been the Sunflower lounge.

The flight itself is more bearable than many give credit for. There may actually be something to the higher cabin pressure in the 787 making a difference. I've done two round trips so far, both surprisingly tolerable in coach. Just remember, in a 3x3x3 plane, an aisle in the middle section is best because you'll only have one person climbing over you, and there's a 50% chance he or she won't. Stats aren't so favorable for the outside two sections!
Lord help me if I ever make a MR of this length in coach. Even in Business, I begin to wonder if we are ever going to get to our destination. I'm slowly making it back to 1K this year, in the most painful way possible, purely domestic travel with more 200's and 145's than cool mainline or even 170/175's, 700's. Not by choice, just focused on what is best for schedule and client needs. But no way am I making a MR in coach for a long flight such as this, I'll continue to suffer with Gold or Platinum.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Lord help me if I ever make a MR of this length in coach. Even in Business, I begin to wonder if we are ever going to get to our destination. I'm slowly making it back to 1K this year, in the most painful way possible, purely domestic travel with more 200's and 145's than cool mainline or even 170/175's, 700's. Not by choice, just focused on what is best for schedule and client needs. But no way am I making a MR in coach for a long flight such as this, I'll continue to suffer with Gold or Platinum.
ill take the opposite opinion on this one. In 2015 I did a YYC-SIN mileage run with a 6 hour turn in SIN (it was the old flight via NRT which was cancelled when they introduced the route from SFO). That weekend on a plane got me to 1K and since qualifying I’ve always managed to requalify in style. I never feel bad about booking MR’s anymore because generally I’m in J one way (sometimes both ways) and being a 1K has just made traveling UA a way more pleasant experience. Even though it has probably cost me $1-2k more per year than being a free agent, I still think it’s worth it.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
This really is the most efficient to rack up EQM (23k from YYZ), at the lowest possible price (as low as $550 all in, PQD dont matter anyway), and in the shortest amount of time (3 days). Much rather do that than 46 <500 mile segments on a CRJ/ERJ. That is just torture, and for those of us who dont fly for work (like 0.0001% of 1Ks), very inefficient way of topping up status.

Seat 16A is just fine, with a leg support bag. Its not actually the long flights that are bad, its the connecting domestic ones I dread (even if upgraded)

Thankfully, wont need this run this year, but it would be my go-to if needed
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
PQD does matter if the goal is 1K
Old Apr 30, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
PQD does matter if the goal is 1K
PQDs don’t matter to the person you’re quoting, assuming the profile’s Canadian location is accurate.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL

This is just evil from United, new rule on their SIN low fare K fares. Looks like they know exactly what their flights to SIN are being used for!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.