Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX - SIN Mileage Run

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Sorry, that has not been true for years. Maybe they open R wide at T-2.5 (more likely not). But the days of R9 at T-24 ended at least three years ago.

And I was watching, the flight did not go R9. In fact, despite checking numerous times, I saw no R. Nor PN, P, or Z.

And I have never seen anything like D8 Z0 P0 PN0 R9 which is what you're saying happened.
but to even be on the waitlist in the first place don’t you need to apply a GPU? Why would UA allow last minute R for upgrades when those on the waitlist are using the same instruments? I’m confused.
Old May 3, 2018, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Slightly OT but anybody know if the CP typically allows early AM check-in when the UA flight arrives. Or is it possible to spend some time in the Singapore Business Class lounge on arrival before check-in and then proceed to the hotel well imbibed ? Short of making the jet-lagged track plus bags into the city any other suggestions as I already booked a trip at the CP. Thanks in advance!
there is a day rate for that situation (need to contact hotel direct) but that means paying a day rate plus the next night rate. Day rate is spendy IIRC

I have been allowed early check in at the IC SIN as an Ambassador (eg 8am) but no experience doing this at airport CP. Clean Room availability can be a problem too.

Old May 3, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
Slightly OT but anybody know if the CP typically allows early AM check-in when the UA flight arrives. Or is it possible to spend some time in the Singapore Business Class lounge on arrival before check-in and then proceed to the hotel well imbibed ? Short of making the jet-lagged track plus bags into the city any other suggestions as I already booked a trip at the CP. Thanks in advance!
I suspect that, like any hotel, it depends on their capacity. But in my experience, they aren't sticklers for check-in time. I've flown KUL-SIN on the morning of the day prior to a departure on the old early-AM SIN-HKG/NRT-US routing, and been able to check in around ~9am, before heading into the city for the day. If nothing else, they will ABSOLUTELY take your luggage and store it for the day, if you're unable to formally check-in.

Not sure if the lounge will let you in or not, but to be honest, the food in S'pore is SO much better than anything you'd get in the airport, it's almost a shame to not leave the airport and get "real" food somewhere. If you need a shower and a nap, there's actually several (legitimate) spas in the CBD where you can get an awesome ~20 minute massage, half-hour "power nap" and a shower for < S$50. Would much rather unwind that way, followed by a good meal, than to hang out in the airport some more!
Old May 3, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
The OP has Marriott Gold status, which will allow him/her to check in early. Stay at one of the Marriott properties and have a memorable time.

As for Kacee's comment on upgrades, I have been 12 empty seats (36 out of 48 booked) go to 2 T-24. Upgrades are really a murky business. On a 15 - 17 hour flight, Business Class is a life saver, esp for these old bones.
Old May 3, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by david_oz

but to even be on the waitlist in the first place don’t you need to apply a GPU? Why would UA allow last minute R for upgrades when those on the waitlist are using the same instruments? I’m confused.
They don't intend to allow it, it just happens sometimes. There is some disjointedness in the systems that manage inventory and clear upgrades, so in some occasions they open R for an appreciable amount of time before the clear people into it from the waitlist. During those times it is possible to jump the list by applying an instrument on your own.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old May 3, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fumje
They don't intend to allow it, it just happens sometimes. There is some disjointedness in the systems that manage inventory and clear upgrades, so in some occasions they open R for an appreciable amount of time before the clear people into it from the waitlist. During those times it is possible to jump the list by applying an instrument on your own.
And I guess there is no way to set an alert since UA pulled their upgrade inventory from expert flyer?? Should I just watch in manually each week and more often close to departure?
Old May 4, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
In addition to the above ideas, what about adding on the free airport tour? Free Singapore Airport Tour, or is that only available to people not leaving the airport? Maybe do everyone of the tours over the 24 hour wait.
Old May 4, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: UA Plat | Marriott Gold
Slightly OT but anybody know if the CP typically allows early AM check-in when the UA flight arrives.
While I have had luck with 895 doing this, personally it'd be kind of a waste to go to CP if you arrive at 7AM+. If anything, if you don't have checked luggage and would have spent the cash anyway look into something like Aerotel above D41. It's still air-side but generally you can get a room for $70-90 depending if you want the private bathroom for 6 hours and breakfast, they have a pool and a small gym and you can always add more time on if you want. You can go to their website and book ahead of time for a time slot, and they'll adjust it depending on when you check in; this at least ensures they'll hold the room for you even though I've seen walk-ups before. Customs will generally comment about leaving far later than your flight and/or mention that your checked baggage would be at lost and found.

Also in regards to Marriott elites, the last time I was at the JW they mentioned that despite the early time, if you call them a day or so in advance they will try to work with you if they have a room available that early.

In regards to the airport tour I cannot say as I've only seen it mentioned for long stopovers. However you could always look into getting one of the Singapore tourist passes and just use the MRT and public transit as the pass gives you unlimited rides for 10 SGD / day up to three days and they'll give you cash back if you turn in the card on your way out. You can get one in the MRT station downstairs I think on the T2 side and pretty much take it wherever you want to go.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
And I guess there is no way to set an alert since UA pulled their upgrade inventory from expert flyer?? Should I just watch in manually each week and more often close to departure?
If I have a GPU waitlisted, I check every morning.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Definitely. You can make a bookmark for yourself of the search with '&ut=mua' attached to the end; then you can just go to ua.com (to start a session) and click the bookmark in your browser. If you see a green arrow, call. As Kacee does, if I am waitlisted, I try to check every day or even multiple times near departure. I have had it pay off before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.