Wiki Posts
Search

LAX - SIN Mileage Run

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by cagcag
I believe this info is incorrect. Return BP obtained from the transfer desk will be security stamped as well aa a security sticker affixed to passport. These will be checked and required at boarding gate by an additional security review. BP obtained in LAX will not have this and you will still be required to get a new BP from the transfer desk "E".
Please dont comment unless youve experienced this personally. You can get the yellow sticker at the gate using a LAX issued boarding pass, it takes all of 20 seconds for them to put a yellow sticket on the back of your passport.
I've done it twice and never needed to go to the transfer desk.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Please dont comment unless youve experienced this personally. You can get the yellow sticker at the gate using a LAX issued boarding pass, it takes all of 20 seconds for them to put a yellow sticket on the back of your passport.
This is correct. I've done it. You don't need to go to the transfer counter. UA agents at the podium are happy to help.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I am thinking about doing this run starting out of IAH sometime this year. I probably can't go until after the summer, so hopefully there are deals August-December.

I will be doing it to get over the PQD requirement to make 1K. Projecting out my spend for this year, it looks like I will be right around 10K & need about 2K more to get over the top. I am thinking of going out in Economy & returning in Business. I priced out a ticket and it comes in just over 2K so that should do the trick. Throw in 1K in ETC's & Travel Bank funds & it will only cost me about 1K out of pocket.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I have done this back to back MR 14 tines over past 3 years. I trust the validity of your comments; this is not what I experienced, but I will certainly try this on next week's SIN MR. Thanks for your info.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by cagcag
I have done this back to back MR 14 tines over past 3 years.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
On my way to 1MM 3 years ago.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:52 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
I am thinking about doing this run starting out of IAH sometime this year. I probably can't go until after the summer, so hopefully there are deals August-December.

I will be doing it to get over the PQD requirement to make 1K. Projecting out my spend for this year, it looks like I will be right around 10K & need about 2K more to get over the top. I am thinking of going out in Economy & returning in Business. I priced out a ticket and it comes in just over 2K so that should do the trick. Throw in 1K in ETC's & Travel Bank funds & it will only cost me about 1K out of pocket.
If PQD Is all you need why not just do a very expensive domestic trip in F? Seems a lot easier then 17 hours in Y, even if it is only one way. Unless you're actually going to visit Singapore, then it makes sense. I definitely wouldnt do it for a direct turnaround though.
jsloan and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by S.R
If PQD Is all you need why not just do a very expensive domestic trip in F? Seems a lot easier then 17 hours in Y, even if it is only one way. Unless you're actually going to visit Singapore, then it makes sense. I definitely wouldnt do it for a direct turnaround though.
+1 -- if it's just for the PQD buy a $2k domestic trip in F and save your time. If the PQMs or MM miles are important, then SIN makes sense.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Thanks again everyone for the feedback and tips!

- Tom
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by GBadger
+1 -- if it's just for the PQD buy a $2k domestic trip in F and save your time. If the PQMs or MM miles are important, then SIN makes sense.
It is for the PQD, but the experience also. I have never done long haul J & would like to see what it is like (on the way back). The PQM will get me over 150K for the year, so more RPU/GPU's, as well chipping away at MM status.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is for the PQD, but the experience also. I have never done long haul J & would like to see what it is like (on the way back). The PQM will get me over 150K for the year, so more RPU/GPU's, as well chipping away at MM status.
Not sure what route you planned would cost only $2K for Y outbound + C return.

It would make sense to do a domestic $2K trip to get to 1K. Then you can use the 6 + 2 GPUs to upgrade into J on a W class fare When you do, try a route with the real Polaris cabin.

Last edited by username; Feb 25, 2018 at 7:46 am
Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by username
Not sure what route you planned would cost only $2K for Y outbound + C return.

It would make sense to do a domestic $2K trip to get to 1K. Then you can use the 6 + 2 GPUs to upgrade into J on a W class fare When you do, try a route with the real Polaris cabin.
K fare going out & P fare coming back. The key seems to be that the return SIN to IAH is pricing out at around $1800 for returns on TUE & WED when part of a RT itinerary.

Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
This is the easiest MR in the UA system. YYZ-SIN frequently sell for <$600. You can stretch it to 23,000+ PQM. Easy way to top up to 1k over 3 days.
ContinentalFan and FlyngSvyr like this.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

K fare going out & P fare coming back. The key seems to be that the return SIN to IAH is pricing out at around $1800 for returns on TUE & WED when part of a RT itinerary.
PLXTZPM0 is a $3607 RT base fare effective from 5/1 through 8/31, for travel Monday through Thursday, requiring a 60-day advance purchase. Incidentally, if you're not worried about lifetime miles, it can be routed on NH metal, provided you use a UA code.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
As the OP approaches the million mile mark, he can reflect during the flight if he runs it once a week, for 1,065 more weeks, he'll catch the present mark of the venerable Tom Stuker.
ContinentalFan, rflor and GDL like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.