LAX - SIN Mileage Run

Old Feb 23, 18, 3:58 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: SBA
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Posts: 595
LAX - SIN Mileage Run

Hi Everyone - taking advantage of the current LAX-SIN $515 r/t United sale, this will put me within 5k of my 1 million! Flying LAX-SIN coach, SIN-LAX Polaris.

10pm dep LAX, 7am arrive SIN, 2.5 hour layover
10am dep SIN, 10am arrive LAX.

787-9 Dreamliner

A few questions please:

- Do I have to clear customs in Singapore?
- Polaris Business on the way back, recommended club to catch a shower in SIN?
- Any access to the UC club LAX on the way out? (in coach, only Silver status)
- I'm in row 27 on the way out, near lavatories with extra legroom. Says "missing a window". Anyone know, no window at all, or just missing one of two windows?

Any other tips are appreciated - thanks in advance!

- Tom
ContinentalFan likes this.

Last edited by tstauck; Feb 23, 18 at 4:18 pm Reason: added aircraft type
tstauck is offline  
Old Feb 23, 18, 4:04 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 44,498
Originally Posted by tstauck View Post
- Do I have to clear customs in Singapore?
No. Just security at the gate.

Originally Posted by tstauck View Post
- Polaris Business on the way back, recommended club to catch a shower in SIN?
SilverKris Lounge.

Originally Posted by tstauck View Post
- Any access to the UC club LAX on the way out? (in coach, only Silver status)
Afraid not. Don't think your return flight in J will qualify you because (i) not sure you can get a BP, and (2) it will appear to be more than 24 hours off due to the time difference.
Kacee is offline  
Old Feb 23, 18, 4:18 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: SBA
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Posts: 595
Thanks for the quick response Kacee!
tstauck is offline  
Old Feb 23, 18, 4:35 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Colorado
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,158
Originally Posted by tstauck View Post
- Do I have to clear customs in Singapore?
Should go without saying but don't check a bag and you won't have to clear customs. Arrivals/Departures are out of the low number E gates in Terminal 2. You can stay airside the whole time. Security is done at the gate approx. 45 mins prior to boarding.

Originally Posted by tstauck View Post
- Polaris Business on the way back, recommended club to catch a shower in SIN?
Biz class passengers can use the SQ SilverKris lounge which has complementary showers. You'll need to stop by the transfer desk for your return BP and to answer security questions.

Originally Posted by tstauck View Post
- Any access to the UC club LAX on the way out? (in coach, only Silver status)
Negative for Silver status - only for *Gold.

Originally Posted by tstauck View Post
- I'm in row 27 on the way out, near lavatories with extra legroom. Says "missing a window". Anyone know, no window at all, or just missing one of two windows?
Row 27 on the 787 is an Exit row. There is just a tiny window in the door. Not much to see anyway as this is an overnight flight entirely overwater and they will most likely have the windows darkened the whole time.

Originally Posted by tstauck View Post
Any other tips are appreciated - thanks in advance!
Changi is probably the greatest airport in the world for a MR. Take the time to explore a bit during your layover. Check out the Sunflower garden and butterfly pavilion if you have the time. Some other good info can be found in this thread: Mileage Runs turnarounds / turnabouts / transits:- Experiences please
ContinentalFan and tstauck like this.
mrswirl is offline  
Old Feb 23, 18, 4:39 pm
  #5  
GDL
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Guadalajara MX,
Programs: 4O, VB, UA, AM
Posts: 154
I believe Changi Terminal 2, Transfer E desk, does not open until 8am. So you may not be able to get return boarding pass as soon as you arrive. But plenty to do and places to relax in the 60 minutes or so during your wait.

What did your RT price out at end? Did you use miles + cash for upgrade on return segment?

Safe travels
tstauck likes this.
GDL is offline  
Old Feb 23, 18, 5:31 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: SNA, LAX
Programs: UA Plat
Posts: 2,939
Bring snacks for your flight in economy. Don't get the duck on the return flight in Polaris.
ual744777sta is offline  
Old Feb 23, 18, 5:39 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: YYC
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 536
I just got off this flight and am on the train into Singapore. Good luck! Itís a long flight and youíll be pretty tired when you get there. But Changi is a great airport and it will be worth it.

The info you received above is correct.
tstauck likes this.
david_oz is offline  
Old Feb 23, 18, 6:50 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: ExecutiveClub GGL/CCR MileagePlus 1K FLyingBlue GOld
Posts: 119
Originally Posted by david_oz View Post
I just got off this flight and am on the train into Singapore. Good luck! Itís a long flight and youíll be pretty tired when you get there. But Changi is a great airport and it will be worth it.
I have been on the same flight with you , I was on the first row in economy )
high.and.above is offline  
Old Feb 23, 18, 7:42 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 21,284
Yiu can get your boarding pass at a kiosk at LAX for the return, that way you dont have to bother with transfer desk, go straight to lounge,
No mobile BPs ex-SIN
ContinentalFan likes this.
rankourabu is offline  
Old Feb 23, 18, 9:06 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: SBA
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Posts: 595
Originally Posted by mrswirl View Post
Should go without saying but don't check a bag and you won't have to clear customs. Arrivals/Departures are out of the low number E gates in Terminal 2. You can stay airside the whole time. Security is done at the gate approx. 45 mins prior to boarding.


Biz class passengers can use the SQ SilverKris lounge which has complementary showers. You'll need to stop by the transfer desk for your return BP and to answer security questions.


Negative for Silver status - only for *Gold.


Row 27 on the 787 is an Exit row. There is just a tiny window in the door. Not much to see anyway as this is an overnight flight entirely overwater and they will most likely have the windows darkened the whole time.


Changi is probably the greatest airport in the world for a MR. Take the time to explore a bit during your layover. Check out the Sunflower garden and butterfly pavilion if you have the time. Some other good info can be found in this thread: Mileage Runs turnarounds / turnabouts / transits:- Experiences please
Thanks for the great tips!
tstauck is offline  
Old Feb 23, 18, 10:01 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Programs: DYKWIA, UA GS/1MM, Bonvoy Ambassador
Posts: 1,737
Wear compression socks. Getting a DVT sucks.
ContinentalFan likes this.
porciuscato is offline  
Old Feb 23, 18, 10:18 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: USA
Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 813
If you don't do an immediate turnaround (e.g., saw SFO-SIN landing 0645 with return SIN-SFO departing 0900), you can grab a nap or even full sleep in the movie theater at Changi (free second- or third-run movies with A/C) and decent meals in the food court. Heck of an opportunity for a MR ...
tstauck likes this.
ExplorerWannabe is offline  
Old Feb 24, 18, 2:01 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: SBA
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Posts: 595
Originally Posted by GDL View Post
I believe Changi Terminal 2, Transfer E desk, does not open until 8am. So you may not be able to get return boarding pass as soon as you arrive. But plenty to do and places to relax in the 60 minutes or so during your wait.

What did your RT price out at end? Did you use miles + cash for upgrade on return segment?

Safe travels
GDL - Thanks! $515 roundtrip then $450 + 30k miles for the return upgrade. It cleared immediately. R=1 still on this flight (April 30) - R=5 when I booked it.. When I booked it the other day, I noticed Singapore, Shanghai and Tokyo all had R space available
tstauck is offline  
Old Feb 24, 18, 2:39 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Posts: 774
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Yiu can get your boarding pass at a kiosk at LAX for the return, that way you dont have to bother with transfer desk, go straight to lounge,
No mobile BPs ex-SIN
I believe this info is incorrect. Return BP obtained from the transfer desk will be security stamped as well aa a security sticker affixed to passport. These will be checked and required at boarding gate by an additional security review. BP obtained in LAX will not have this and you will still be required to get a new BP from the transfer desk "E".
cagcag is offline  
Old Feb 24, 18, 3:17 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Japan
Posts: 5,542
Originally Posted by cagcag View Post
I believe this info is incorrect. Return BP obtained from the transfer desk will be security stamped as well aa a security sticker affixed to passport. These will be checked and required at boarding gate by an additional security review. BP obtained in LAX will not have this and you will still be required to get a new BP from the transfer desk "E".
True, but in order to enter the SilverKris lounge a boarding pass is needed. So for that purpose having one on hand is desirable. Before boarding, OP needs to go to the transfer desk to get his new boarding pass with all the stickers. Attempting to enter the boarding gate area without the sticker results in being send back to the transfer desk by security.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Exleftseat is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: