Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mile Play promotion #2 -- targeted book/travel X trips by 11 March 2018, get Y miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Mile Play promotion #2 -- targeted book/travel X trips by 11 March 2018, get Y miles

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Yeah, I saw that too. I was just hoping that the fare might be calculated the way PQD is (at least I'm pretty sure bag fees, upgrades to E+, etc, all count toward PQD), but it doesn't say anything about that here. I'm not sure it's worth me saving $50 or so to find out that it's not, and then I have to buy an additional $470 fare to make up for the fact that it didn't!
Well, I think I've confirmed that the Bundle Offers don't count. I decided to go through the booking process after having selected the fare I was looking at, and adding the Bundle Offer, and this is what I see:
Fare: $389.77
Taxes and fees: $43.53
Travel Options bundle: $23.00
So, since my fare is still listed as <$400, it's not going to work....back to the drawing board!
Old Feb 2, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
I got 1 trip >$300 for 2500 miles. I might actually get this bonus. We will see... I did book a flight for next week (before registering) and thought that was a bummer, until I realized that it was also <$300, so there is no way it would have qualified, even if I had waited to book it.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by tods27
I got 1 trip >$300 for 2500 miles. I might actually get this bonus. We will see... I did book a flight for next week (before registering) and thought that was a bummer, until I realized that it was also <$300, so there is no way it would have qualified, even if I had waited to book it.
Have you considered just doing the award accelerator for your current flight instead? I just booked a flight, and was given an option of buying 8000 miles for $200. Seems like a much better deal than 2500 miles for $300. I don't know if all award accelerator options are the same ratio (mine is 2.5cpm), but I would think that yours would be better than the 12cpm that you're getting in your offer! Just a thought...
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Have you considered just doing the award accelerator for your current flight instead? I just booked a flight, and was given an option of buying 8000 miles for $200. Seems like a much better deal than 2500 miles for $300. I don't know if all award accelerator options are the same ratio (mine is 2.5cpm), but I would think that yours would be better than the 12cpm that you're getting in your offer! Just a thought...
No, because I don't want to spend my own money for the miles. I do agree that the bonus of 2500 miles is pretty low, but I'm also not going to go out of my way to earn it. If I have another work trip that will get me the miles, so be it.
mpiotrow likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:07 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I scrutinized the fine print of the T&C on my offer, and discovered that "all flight activity" on a given trip must be in F/A/C/D/Z/P for my offer. Great, except a couple of places I want to go have UX segments on 1-cabin a/c. Even though these cost more overall, and the bulk of the fare is allocated to the mainline a/c segments on those trips, they wouldn't count.

That's annoying.

I was looking at, for example, IAD-DEN-SGU-DEN-IAD. The DEN-SGU segments are CRJ-200s, and for my dates, book into full Y. IAD-DEN is a mix of P, Z, C, and A depending on which flights I pick. But sorry, not eligible because UA themselves don't offer 2-cabin a/c on the route.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Mine is 5 trips in a premium cabin (>$450) for 13,000 miles.
Seriously?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: United Gold; HHonors Diamond
I guess my reduced travel works in my favor.
3x trips worth $250 or more for 18,000 miles.
I registered yesterday and booked my first flight today. I should be able to hit this.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
For me.... nada. (2018 1K)

For my Mrs..... 3 trips in premium cabin for 5,400 rdm's .... terrible. (2018 Gold)

Can fly from DEN-LAX $49 each way, and to many other destinations for similar prices right now during the winter months... why in the world would anyone pay 4-8X more for premium cabin to chase 5,400 miles? This total would have to be 10X the current offer to even warrant a consideration.

Originally Posted by exerda
I scrutinized the fine print of the T&C on my offer, and discovered that "all flight activity" on a given trip must be in F/A/C/D/Z/P for my offer. Great, except a couple of places I want to go have UX segments on 1-cabin a/c. Even though these cost more overall, and the bulk of the fare is allocated to the mainline a/c segments on those trips, they wouldn't count.

That's annoying.

I was looking at, for example, IAD-DEN-SGU-DEN-IAD. The DEN-SGU segments are CRJ-200s, and for my dates, book into full Y. IAD-DEN is a mix of P, Z, C, and A depending on which flights I pick. But sorry, not eligible because UA themselves don't offer 2-cabin a/c on the route.
Would be fair for UA to include Y/B/M in the mix since those fares are often more than Z/P.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 3, 2018 at 4:02 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold 75K , Expedia +Gold
My promo is book a trip for $200 or more and receive 8,000 miles by March 1st. Pretty easy!

Last edited by westleyl; Feb 3, 2018 at 12:21 pm
Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
No rhyme or reason as to who gets the promo... who gets a great offer... who gets a crap offer...
Old Feb 3, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
130k for two premium cabin (A, C, D, F, J, P and Z) trips of $2k or more. Not bad, and there's a chance I'll manage it anyway...
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, UA 1K
2 Very Different Offers
Hubby (1K, Million Miler): 3 trips, $300 each by 11 March, 9,700 bonus miles
Me (1K as spouse, but I travel a bit for work myself): 2 trips, $250 each by 11 March, 14,000 bonus miles

I doubt either of us will make it since we have both booked our Feb/March travel already, but it's always possible...
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
2 trips over $200 for a mesely 2500 miles. Wowwwwww...
Old Feb 3, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Originally Posted by jjmoore
No rhyme or reason as to who gets the promo... who gets a great offer... who gets a crap offer...
mmmmm, I don't know about that.

I have a history of booking in B and using GPUs over the last 4 years, with my increasingly buying up to P and D over the last 1.5 years. I've also been burning through my award miles like crazy, taking family on at least two international trips a year. UA is looking at my purchase patterns and offering me a serious incentive (96,000 miles) to buy two biz tix. It's a slight stretch for me timing wise (I am abroad now and try to keep the international travel to only once a quarter) but I'm considering doing it because the payoff is so sweet.

The other offers (particularly the less than stellar ones) appear to be in line with the travel patterns posted with them. Granted, I don't know what the travel patterns are for the piddly offers that aren't accompanied with travel pattern info, so my inference could be way off.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't know if all award accelerator options are the same ratio (mine is 2.5cpm),
You should never pay more than 2 cpm for award accelerator.

Originally Posted by big V
The other offers (particularly the less than stellar ones) appear to be in line with the travel patterns posted with them. Granted, I don't know what the travel patterns are for the piddly offers that aren't accompanied with travel pattern info, so my inference could be way off.
Yes, it is. >$15K PQD last year, nearly all in in P/Z or high economy (Q/U) fare classes. Stopped flying UA in October to complete DL Plat challenge. No offer.

They might as well just have a monkey throwing darts for all the sense these targeted offers make.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.