Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has started installing Premium Plus / Premium Economy seats in 772s and 773s. Other long haul aircraft will also be receiving these new seats.
For 77x it is a 2-4-2 (vs economy 3-4-3) with 3 rows - 24 seats
For 76x it is believe it will be 2-2-2 (vs 2-3-2) with 3 rows ( and maybe a partial row) - 22 seats
For 78x it is believed it will be 2-3-2 (vs 3-3-3) with 3 rows - 21 seats

UA has not yet started selling this new cabin but has restructured its fare class -- which appears to be in preparation of selling the new cabin (and removed 3-class F)

In the meantime, the Premium Plus cabin is being treated as an extension of E+ and those with E+ access can select the new seats.
In many cases UA is initially using an interim seat maps, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926142-interim-772-seat-map-polaris-potentially-premium-economy-2018-a.html
Things start to firm up about 2 days prior but last minute changes can happen

Print Wikipost

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chipmaster
So beyond layout, timing etc., what is the guess as to price of Premium E versus E+.
My guess is that it will be extremely route specific, but that you can get an idea by searching for PE on other carriers on the route(s) you're interested in. UA will likely match their fares.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: united
If you want a completely rough prediction, if an international Y fare might be $1100 r/t, and a J fare might be $4500, you might see PE at $2300 or something. That's based on what I have seen from other carriers.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
My guess is that it will be extremely route specific, but that you can get an idea by searching for PE on other carriers on the route(s) you're interested in. UA will likely match their fares.
This. I would be shocked if it was not price-competitive with existing PE products.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:22 pm

Seatmap for 772 with PE is not yet posted on united.com but is now viewable using the flight status tool. It appears PE will be rows 20, 21, 22:

GDL likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by atword
Seatmap for 772 with PE is not yet posted on united.com but is now viewable using the flight status tool. It appears PE will be rows 20, 21, 22:

My takeaways from the pic:

1. I bet United spent a long time finalizing the Polaris seat icons. Looks like they put zero effort into the PE seat icon. That gives me reassurance UA has relatively modest expectations for PE. Extra few hundred dollars from ~20 people per flight. Seems like there's no sinister plan to have GPU go Y > PE vs Y > J. If they were thinking along those lines, they would have juiced up the seat icon...

2. I wonder if 22 ABKL is recline restricted in any way?

3. I wonder if row 20 has limited foot space due to the Polaris wall in front?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
With that layout I see opups to j
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
1. I bet United spent a long time finalizing the Polaris seat icons. Looks like they put zero effort into the PE seat icon. That gives me reassurance UA has relatively modest expectations for PE. Extra few hundred dollars from ~20 people per flight. Seems like there's no sinister plan to have GPU go Y > PE vs Y > J. If they were thinking along those lines, they would have juiced up the seat icon...
Given that they haven't released the seatmap and we're only looking at this because we know how to search for a canceled non-revenue ferry flight, I wouldn't draw too many conclusions.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 2MM

1. I bet United spent a long time finalizing the Polaris seat icons. Looks like they put zero effort into the PE seat icon.
UA is going to be selling this as Y+ at the start, I would assume a different icon (or at least color) when the product is officially launched.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by N104UA
UA is going to be selling this as Y+ at the start, I would assume a different icon (or at least color) when the product is officially launched.
Perhaps orange like a domestic first seat.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott

2. I wonder if 22 ABKL is recline restricted in any way?

3. I wonder if row 20 has limited foot space due to the Polaris wall in front?
N796UA is scheduled to make its first revenue flight UA990 SFO-CDG Monday, so we'll see.

For now, a separate PE seat icon doesn't make much sense because the cabin is still E+, and in the case of the inevitable aircraft swaps, perhaps UA wants to manage expectations. It's also a conventional seat rather than a lieflat, so there's really no reason to make it look different... domestic F is still just a square.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWR764
N796UA is scheduled to make its first revenue flight UA990 SFO-CDG Monday, so we'll see.
Interesting. Currently Gold and higher can select a seat in the PE cabin at no charge, and for others the fee is the same as a normal E+ seat.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 3:41 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Well, it looks like the very first P+ Flight is slated to be UA990(25) SFO-CDG

According to the Fleet Site, this plane has been released from XMN and has P+ installed.
According to FlightAware, this plane is currently enroute to SFO and is scheduled to debut on UA990(25) SFO-CDG
According to United.com, there is no seat map listed under Travel Information/Aircraft Details/777-200 for a P+ equipped plane.
Checking the status of UA990(25) the seat map does not show a P+ Cabin, but shows the first three rows of Y+ being in a 2-4-2 configuration.

I guess this means that UA is giving P+ seats to Y+ passengers until there is more inventory, the way F is going to J passengers.

If anyone can get any pictures of this cabin, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by phkc070408
I guess this means that UA is giving P+ seats to Y+ passengers until there is more inventory, the way F is going to J passengers.
Yes, that is correct.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...onomy-in-june/
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:45 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Just tried a dummy booking SFO-CDG on UA990/25June as a non-status member, and was surprised that the PE seat doesn't go for a premium over a comparable non-PE Y+ seat. Both 21E and 31E were offered for $183. With the dynamic pricing for various Y+ seats, I thought the PE seats would be more.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 1984SW
Just tried a dummy booking SFO-CDG on UA990/25June as a non-status member, and was surprised that the PE seat doesn't go for a premium over a comparable non-PE Y+ seat. Both 21E and 31E were offered for $183. With the dynamic pricing for various Y+ seats, I thought the PE seats would be more.
As a non UA *G that doesn't get E+ free, I would pay that amount for a PY seat, especially on the way to Europe where I want to get some sleep.

Otherwise, I've always thought UA's E+ fee is ridiculously high, for both domestic and international flights. I'd be shocked if more than a few people actually pay for E+ on most flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.