Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has started installing Premium Plus / Premium Economy seats in 772s and 773s. Other long haul aircraft will also be receiving these new seats.
For 77x it is a 2-4-2 (vs economy 3-4-3) with 3 rows - 24 seats
For 76x it is believe it will be 2-2-2 (vs 2-3-2) with 3 rows ( and maybe a partial row) - 22 seats
For 78x it is believed it will be 2-3-2 (vs 3-3-3) with 3 rows - 21 seats

UA has not yet started selling this new cabin but has restructured its fare class -- which appears to be in preparation of selling the new cabin (and removed 3-class F)

In the meantime, the Premium Plus cabin is being treated as an extension of E+ and those with E+ access can select the new seats.
In many cases UA is initially using an interim seat maps, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1926142-interim-772-seat-map-polaris-potentially-premium-economy-2018-a.html
Things start to firm up about 2 days prior but last minute changes can happen

Print Wikipost

Real Premium Economy is Coming [Update: UA studying "Real" Prem Y in domestic market]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
But this is in line with what I have been seeing, which is that UA is not getting anywhere near what SQ is in Y, and this is not on a 77W, but a 789 vs an A359 on SQ.
Singapore Airlines is not exactly the poster child of airline profitability.

Just because they are charging a certain price doesn't exactly mean they are getting that price.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Agreed. UA vs SQ on SFO-HKG-SFO in Aug, Sep, Oct & Nov:

Aug, SQ Econ / PE = 920 / 1150
Aug, UA Econ / W = 635 / 1209

Sep, SQ Econ / PE = 720 / 950
Sep, UA Econ / W = 450 / 1210

Oct, SQ Econ / PE = 720 / 950
Oct, UA Econ / W = 450 / 1210

Nov, SQ Econ / PE = 750 / 950
Nov, UA Econ / W = 450 / 1210
Nov, UA V = 450 / 1470
Nov, UA Q = 450 / 1790

Based on these numbers, it looks like the new PE fare should equal the current W fare -- at most.
$450 RT is insanely cheap. Factor in a luxury spa/massage treatment after being contorted in 10-across 77w and you are still way ahead.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
SQ's not getting much of a "premium" for PE on that route. $200-230 would be a no-brainer.
If I read it right, they are not getting much of a premium over their own economy, but it is a fair bump over UAs Y fares. So if the PE competes with PE, UA should be closer to the SQ PE prices, which is a pretty good bump. Now watch UA make it so that higher straight Y fares can up upgraded over PE fares with GPUs..... They give with one hand and slap you with the other it seems.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by oopl
This FAQ creates so many more questions... does this mean that ps routes are getting 772/77Ws across the board? Also, will they make ps business Polaris? And will Y=>J upgrades no longer be possible since it's a double upgrade? We need answers!
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Kacee
"All planes"? I don't believe that was ever the plan.
I don't even believe the testing can last very long.

Taken BE as the example, UA ultimately has to scale back because UA ends up, in many instances, giving out E+ seats than regular Y, resulting an even worse situation.

So when no one buying P+, the seats will ultimately end up with op-up or non-rev.

UA will soon realize UA is losing more money in P+ than ever.

(FWIW - many airlines are not making as much money as they think from PEY.)
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eric.chen3742
This FAQ creates so many more questions... does this mean that ps routes are getting 772/77Ws across the board? Also, will they make ps business Polaris?
No, PE and the planes that get them will be on INTL routes. It is in the FAQ.
eric.chen3742 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by uastarflyer

No, PE and the planes that get them will be on INTL routes. It is in the FAQ.
However, internationally-configured planes will on occasion do domestic positioning flights, so you may encounter one from time-to-time on routes especially between international hubs.
eric.chen3742 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:20 am

Do we know the fare class(es) for PE (P+)? Will they map to NH and LH on codeshares?

Fleet site reports 772 mods begin 8/18 and 787-10 is due later this year.

Asking for a friend...
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atword
Do we know the fare class(es) for PE (P+)? Will they map to NH and LH on codeshares?
Neither of these questions has been answered yet. I imagine they'd need to update the codeshare agreement in order to allow PE fares to be sold. I don't see any reason they wouldn't do that at some point, once they've got the fare classes sorted out so that they wouldn't be selling economy fares into PE seats.

As for fare classes -- I would have expected them to have stopped selling Y fares for whatever buckets they eventually intend to use for P+. I'm able to find TPAC fares for every fare class except G and N; I don't think they'd re-use N. G is a candidate, but since it tends to be used for sale fares, it's also possible that this is a red herring; they just might not offer any sales on the routes I checked.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: All the programs!
Also note this really says nothing about the 787-8 & 787-9. Maybe they will be the next in line for retrofit after the 77W.

Zach Honig has said "Since it’ll take some time for premium economy to roll out throughout the fleet, the cabin will initially be sold as Economy Plus, with regular economy service. "
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by garykung
(FWIW - many airlines are not making as much money as they think from PEY.)
I guess airlines are lying, 'cause there's been a remarkably consistent and universal message that PE is the most profitable class of service from several measures.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
Neither of these questions has been answered yet. I imagine they'd need to update the codeshare agreement in order to allow PE fares to be sold. I don't see any reason they wouldn't do that at some point, once they've got the fare classes sorted out so that they wouldn't be selling economy fares into PE seats.

As for fare classes -- I would have expected them to have stopped selling Y fares for whatever buckets they eventually intend to use for P+. I'm able to find TPAC fares for every fare class except G and N; I don't think they'd re-use N. G is a candidate, but since it tends to be used for sale fares, it's also possible that this is a red herring; they just might not offer any sales on the routes I checked.
Why worry about fare code? A single fare code, such as N for BE, is a possibility for PE. UA just sells PE at an available economy fare plus a delta (non-refundable) or two (refundable). UA could choose a fare code such as V for PE. This is just my wild guess. This may create some problems when code-sharing with NH's and LH's PE.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by oopl
I'm curious about the statement that Premium Plus service will match that of Economy Plus. I wonder if this is a prelude to changing the E-/E+ service levels so they no longer are the same.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
E+ section of ps routes, EWR-SFO/LAX and SFO-BOS, has free meals and drinks.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Why worry about fare code? A single fare code, such as N for BE, is a possibility for PE. UA just sells PE at an available economy fare plus a delta (non-refundable) or two (refundable). UA could choose a fare code such as V for PE. This is just my wild guess. This may create some problems when code-sharing with NH's and LH's PE.
They could do that, but they'd still need to clear out existing fares that map into those seats.

I expect your pricing suggestion is spot on, but I think they will have multiple inventory buckets, for two reasons. (a) I think they'll want finer-grained control over P+ inventory than over Y inventory; you don't want last-seat availability for P+ at your lowest price point just because you have K9 in Y; (b) I expect differences in PQM and/or upgrade eligibility; (c) I think they'l want to offer P+ awards at the Everyday and Saver level; and (d) I expect a *A award bucket for PE to be introduced within the next year or two.

They can use synthetic (two-character) buckets for UA awards, but the others will require regular buckets. LH uses 3, two of which can be upgraded with a GPU, and none of which represent *A award availability. I expect UA to follow suit and start with 3 classes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.