Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I always used the contact form on the website, I include my ticket number flight number and all the information requested and then create a narrative. By doing so I received the best results. I don't have the link handy as I'm on my mobile right now. However someone else may want to post that for you as it's not in the wiki it doesn't hurt to file again
I contacted them through a form on the website. I followed the link (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/default.aspx) from the Wiki above for Customer Care. Is there another form I should have used?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mpiotrow
Non-functioning wifi on a recent flight from SFO-PEK in paid J (P class, actually, if that matters). No proactive compensation email was sent, so I emailed Customer Care (the Premier Voice website still seems to be broken and won't let you select dates in the past, which is important when you're trying to write in regarding past flights!). Got an email reply back with 3750 miles automatically deposited in my account. This is the first time I've ever NOT been given an option of ETC or miles. I know I can request ETC instead. Also, 3750 miles (or a $75ETC) seems light for non-functioning WiFi on a TPAC paid business flight, doesn't it? Any suggestions on how I should word a response to them to ask for more? I've been given more for non-functioning WiFi on economy domestic flights!
How much are you looking for. $100-$75 (5,000-3,750 miles) sounds in the ballpark IME, plus a refund if you paid for access.

Originally Posted by mpiotrow
I contacted them through a form on the website. I followed the link (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...r/default.aspx) from the Wiki above for Customer Care. Is there another form I should have used?
That was an appropriate communication path.

If you paid for wifi internet access and it failed to preform, you can also request a refund @ www.united.com/refunds
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
IAD-HNL this morning.
$300 or 15,000 miles for non function power outlet at my seat. LOL, chose the $300.
Great Purser proactively made the offer after breakfast and the ETC was emailed to me within 30 minutes.
Very impressed.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
IAD-HNL this morning.
$300 or 15,000 miles for non function power outlet at my seat. LOL, chose the $300.
Great Purser proactively made the offer after breakfast and the ETC was emailed to me within 30 minutes.
Very impressed.
Excellent comp. Do you have United status?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Excellent comp. Do you have United status?
Sorry, 1K. Should have noted that.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SFO777
IAD-HNL this morning.
Very impressed.
People have gotten less for a broken lie-flat on long-haul international.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
People have gotten less for a broken lie-flat on long-haul international.
the lowest for 1K is $500 for a broken seat IMHO and in my experience.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cfischer
the lowest for 1K is $500 for a broken seat IMHO and in my experience.
Considerably less has been reported in this thread. Multiple times.

A GS was offered $400 in paid J.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No Wifi on Wednesday's LAX-IAD flight. FA announced and apologized prior to departure.
No proactive compensation for this 1K. I emailed CS this morning and received a response a few hours later with an apology and 5,000 miles.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
GS, traveling on an award ticket and upgraded to business.

11 hour delay EWR ---> LAX on july 29th... proactive customer service email offering 25K miles or $500 voucher.

no GS rep assistance, but i asked for a room and was told by united club agent that there were none, but if i could find one (i did) that they would reimburse.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by bobosing
My flight of MEL-LAX was cancelled due to aircraft maintenance for today 7/14. They could have gotten me out on the 13th - different route (longer-thru hk) but was not offered it and did not find out about it until to late to get to airport. Was only offered the flight for 7/15. Customer care offered 15K or $300 e-cert. It was a paid business class seat and I am global services. That seems light?? What is fair. Also when they called to advise- as they knew in advance the flight was going to be cancelled (the LAX-MEL flight had not happened also due to aircraft maintenance) there was no mention of hotel compensation? Would appreciate your thoughts. TIA

UPDATE. I asked for an e-certif of $850. did not need miles, preferred the e-certificate. Also received a very nice phone call. Happy with what I asked for and what I received
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
My flight of MEL-LAX was cancelled due to aircraft maintenance for today 7/14. They could have gotten me out on the 13th - different route (longer-thru hk) but was not offered it and did not find out about it until to late to get to airport. Was only offered the flight for 7/15. Customer care offered 15K or $300 e-cert. It was a paid business class seat and I am global services. That seems light?? What is fair. Also when they called to advise- as they knew in advance the flight was going to be cancelled (the LAX-MEL flight had not happened also due to aircraft maintenance) there was no mention of hotel compensation? Would appreciate your thoughts. TIA

UPDATE. I asked for an e-certif of $850. did not need miles, preferred the e-certificate. Also received a very nice phone call. Happy with what I asked for and what I received
$300 is "light" especially since it seems like you got stuck over night in MEL. I got that for an equipment change on a domestic red-eye flight. From what you post it sounds like they bumped it up to $850 which is more in line with what I would think you should get.... Nice!
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:46 am

My flight of MEL-LAX was cancelled due to aircraft maintenance for today 7/14. Also when they called to advise- as they knew in advance the flight was going to be cancelled (the LAX-MEL flight had not happened also due to aircraft maintenance) there was no mention of hotel compensation? Would appreciate your thoughts. TIA
Uhh, fellow FTers can correct me if I'm out of step here but I think hotel voucher/compensation is given to anyone in your situation (even a General Member) since the *A airline manual states that when you have a intercontinental journey (which this one clearly is) and it gets cancelled for reasons within their control (i.e. goes mechanical) then everyone is entitled to this:

AMENITIES - CONTROLLABLE*
Provide the minimum amenities as defined below and as required by law for all customers.
MINIMUM AMENITIES
  • Access to phone and/or Wi-Fi and/or other means of communication and/or provide information about communication access;
  • Meals and/or refreshments when delay exceeds two hours;
  • Hotel accommodation for more than 8h delays if it occurs in overnight period;
  • Ground transportation between airport/hotel/airport must be provided upon customer request;
  • For those customers who decline airport accommodations, carrier should provide ground transportation options to allow customers to travel to/from their residence if within 80 km from the airport, or provide ground transportation compensation fee.
As a GS I would expect the hotel voucher/compensation to be doled out without any questions asked and would strongly recommend you keep your hotel receipt and ask UA to reimburse you for it.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Uhh, fellow FTers can correct me if I'm out of step here but I think hotel voucher/compensation is given to anyone in your situation (even a General Member) since the *A airline manual states that when you have a intercontinental journey (which this one clearly is) and it gets cancelled for reasons within their control (i.e. goes mechanical) then everyone is entitled to this:

AMENITIES - CONTROLLABLE*
Provide the minimum amenities as defined below and as required by law for all customers.
MINIMUM AMENITIES
  • Access to phone and/or Wi-Fi and/or other means of communication and/or provide information about communication access;
  • Meals and/or refreshments when delay exceeds two hours;
  • Hotel accommodation for more than 8h delays if it occurs in overnight period;
  • Ground transportation between airport/hotel/airport must be provided upon customer request;
  • For those customers who decline airport accommodations, carrier should provide ground transportation options to allow customers to travel to/from their residence if within 80 km from the airport, or provide ground transportation compensation fee.
As a GS I would expect the hotel voucher/compensation to be doled out without any questions asked and would strongly recommend you keep your hotel receipt and ask UA to reimburse you for it.

Safe Travels,

James
My understanding as well. I assumed maybe they were throwing him $850 voucher/cert as a form of a hotel voucher and additional compensation for delay as you stated. Call me lucky but mercifully I have not been delayed over night in years.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
And this is the difference between theory and practice.

In theory, UA is on the hook for a hotel for every passenger who needs one.

In practice, UA will often neglect to mention that fact (whether intentionally or as an oversight), which is why it's good to be prepared.

OP: If you had called up UA and asked to be sent home a day early, I'm sure they would have obliged, but I wouldn't have expected them to offer that proactively. It's relatively rare for people to be flexible enough to get to the airport on short notice for an intercontinental trip. One day's delay is usually less of a disruption than leaving a day earlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.