Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pax accuses UA of giving her F seat to US Rep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Please Read

It is the desire of the FT UA Moderation Team to keep this thread open, as there is still much to be learned. While realizing this incident has some elements that have led to some very active discussion; such as the Congresswoman is local to a major UA hub and familiar to many UA flyers, FT has certain rules for discussion. This forum is focused on travel with UA and there are better places for other types of discussion.

After some discussion among the FT UA Moderators, we wish to clarify what is appropriate and what is not.
Discussion of the actual incident and how it might have happened
Discussion of how UA has handled the event
Discussion if the congresswoman or others forced this to happen
Discussion of UA granting unearned GS status

Not appropriate and better elsewhere
Overly political or racial comments about the congresswoman (or anyone else)
General comments about politicians, government officials unrelated to the actual incident
General ethics discussion concerning corporate/government officials accepting complimentary status

And all the standard FT rules apply including not commenting on other posters and not posting unnecessarily inflammatory, inciting or provocative comments.

Generally, if you are not discussing the incident, good chance you may be Off Topic.

WineCountryUA
on behalf of the UA FT Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Pax accuses UA of giving her F seat to US Rep

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Is it possible that when the passenger went into the app to check for alternate flights her reservation was put into "limbo" as described by Artpen100 above.
In my experience, no. Selecting to view alternative flights has zero impact on your current itinerary, and wouldn't make any sense if it did.

But it is easier than it should be to then click on one of those options and accidentally move yourself to another flight - at which point obviously the reservation on the original flight would be removed.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by docbert
In my experience, no. Selecting to view alternative flights has zero impact on your current itinerary, and wouldn't make any sense if it did.

But it is easier than it should be to then click on one of those options and accidentally move yourself to another flight - at which point obviously the reservation on the original flight would be removed.
Yeah, whenever I am looking at SDC options, I am very careful so that I don't mess up my current res. However, there are two sequential confirmation clicks that you have to make, so it is very unlikely that you could "accidentally" do this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Dec 26, 2017 at 2:45 pm
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
United has a history of...um..accommodating government officials. The "Chairman's Flight" is a famous example.
I bet most airlines accommodate their regulators. Government officials are a privileged class. Some of it is due to the miles they earn from flying. If they were forced to experience the poor treatment their voters get, maybe they would protect them. Since airline deregulation prices have dropped, but service has dropped disproportionately. Is this Member of Congress of Congress any better or worse than other officials? Businesses and their lobbyists throw as much value in the direction of our officials to the extent the law permits. Just look the the close family members of officials being thrown jobs from the corporations they regulate.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium
The first thing that came to mind was the glitch I've experienced on two separate occasions where I scanned my mobile boarding pass for my first flight without issue, but my ticket for my connecting flight was invalidated, since for some reason the system didn't register that I got on the first flight.

In one of those instances, my Y seat was given away within an hour, so I was happy to hear that they'd have to accommodate me in Y+.

When I called to get the mileage credited for my "missed flight", the rep made it sound like it was a known I.T. issue.

As for the congresswoman, she was likely on a contract Y fare, which can get an instant upgrade even if she's a silver, so that could explain that convenient upgrade to F when a seat opened up.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1k Million Miler
So how does United give GS status to house menbers? They are prohibited from accepting anything of value above 25$ and GS (and 1k)is above that by virtue of the free drink coupons alone.
embarcadero1 and 747FC like this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lobo411
I think she accidentally and unknowingly canceled her own flight due to a poorly designed app. She probably did receive a cancellation email, but she probably had her hands full due to IRROPS. It's a lot easier to manage things calmly and rationally with the benefit of hindsight. It's a lot more difficult when you're in the pressure cooker right now.

I don't for one second believe that UA "deleted" her reservation, as she seems to believe. That kind of tinfoil hat thinking is emotionally satisfying when we feel wronged, but of course it's entirely illogical.
Originally Posted by azzurro
I disagree. I have flown 1M+ miles with UA and it only happened once, but it did happen...RT: DEN-ATL via connecting cities. On the return leg ATL-IAD-DEN I checked in via app in ATL, scanned my bp (heard the normal beep) and took my seat. Landed in IAD and noticed I was no longer on upgrade list. Checked with gate agent and they said my ticket was cancelled for not boarding the flight I just landed on!!! (But I was on it and they didn't notice when they did the final count that they had 1 more passenger than the manifest showed!) The IAD -DEN bp was no longer in my app and I had no record of ever being on that flight because, also for the only time ever, that morning I tossed my printed itinerary because I had never, ever needed it up to that point so surely I wouldn't need it that day either. What timing and coincidence. In the end they reinstated the cancelled ticket at full fare and put me on standby. I was lucky enough to get a bp and get home, but not in my exit row 21 window seat and learned that even though it only happened once over thousands of flights - it does happen, it was THEIR fault (I did not mess with any app changes nor was there MX or WX going on) and I will always keep written proof. I even go to kiosks and reprint bp's at every flight so I have proof. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...isn't gonna happen.

So for those who say this displaced passenger must have mistakenly cancelled her flight, while it could have happened it is also very fair to call poppycock as systems do make mistakes that are not immediately easy to discern what or where it went wrong.
Once in October, once in November, while flying Air Canada, I was offloaded from my final flight of the day.

The first time, I was number 1 on the upgrade list, so I was watching it like a hawk, and then suddenly numbers 2 and 3 were upgraded when the flight closed. The lounge agent's phrase was "I wonder why they offloaded you???" when she started to investigate. It took a couple phone calls between various airport employees, but I managed to get the upgrade.

The second time, I had attempted standby on one flight, but they only offered me economy, so I declined. Somehow, after boarding my original YUL-YYZ flight, I was offloaded from YYZ-SFO. By the time I went to board, business class was fully boarded. They downgraded the passenger who was now in my seat.

So system issues can certainly cause problems like this, but airlines can also fix them if they want, though I understand that downgrading a VIP happily sitting in 1A is probably not the best option.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
You can get government YCA (full fare) fares on IAH-DCA from United. If the congresswoman did not have 1K status, she would not be upgraded with "instant upgrade" from the full Y fare. She may apply miles to upgrade without co-pay (her staff may know this trick).
United will never give the full details. The pax in question might not tell the full truth.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
You can get government YCA (full fare) fares on IAH-DCA from United. If the congresswoman did not have 1K status, she would not be upgraded with "instant upgrade" from the full Y fare. She may apply miles to upgrade without co-pay (her staff may know this trick).
United will never give the full details. The pax in question might not tell the full truth.
The pax said the rep was Global Services so even on a discount fare she'd be at near the top
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
I actually think what most people are mostly upset about (especially the comments on the news) is that UAL seems to be continually caught red handed pulling some sort of caper/slight of hand, and NEVER fully owning up to it. It's ALWAYS the passengers fault, NEVER their own.

Also, what really has most folks p.o.'ed is the fact that SJL has more than her share of priors for continually pulling the flaming Queen scenario ("Queen", her own word), over & over, and dropping the race card at a drop of a hat, which she did to Ms. Simon.

This is definitely NOT GOOD for UAL, but they'll do what they always do and bury their head in the sand, hoping that this story disappears sooner than later.

How's bout they admit that it is very easy to accidentally screw up your reservation on their web-site, and they are working on a solution to this problem, RIGHT NOW?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Two Bee
How's bout they admit that it is very easy to accidentally screw up your reservation on their web-site, and they are working on a solution to this problem, RIGHT NOW?
Back before the merger, we were flying home DEN-IAD. After checking in at T-24, I got an e-mail saying our upgrades had cleared. Went to the web site, and it wouldn't let me choose seats. Called the 1K desk, they said no problem, we'd get our seat assignment at the airport. Got to the airport to find out we no longer had an upgrade, and that they had given our E+ seats away, and we were split into two middle seats in the back. Got to the UC, called the 1K desk again (UC CSRs wouldn't help) and the very apologetic CSR told me that a software glitch had upgraded us when it shouldn't have. We eventually got seats across the aisle from each other, but sad fact is that UA's passenger facing IT has always been a problem.
Two Bee likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lobo411
Whatever her personality is or isn't (let's not forget that a former staffer might have an axe to grind), it doesn't change the facts.

Here's the latest on the story:
1. The pax canceled her reservation after the original fight was delayed due to wx

2. The Congresswoman was subsequently auto-upgraded by the computer.

The moral of the story is: don't cancel your reservations and you'll be fine.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/united-...seat-1.3735153

Who cares what the commenters think? What has that got to do with the facts?

If a million people think that the sun revolves around the earth, does that make it true?
She was not auto-upgraded. United claims Jackson Lee was upgraded according to the automatic/normal upgrade order, not due to her congressional credentials.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX

She was not auto-upgraded. United claims Jackson Lee was upgraded according to the automatic/normal upgrade order, not due to her congressional credentials.
Given SJL's past behavior on United, that's the part that's hard to believe. We also have the other congressperson sitting with the original pax who told her that he's seen SJL bump people out of first class three times. Maybe it's true, but I find it quite fishy.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
1. Have to give up first class seat to congresswoman
2. Complain about it, with UA not giving any good explanation why it happened
3. Be called a racist and bigot by the congresswoman

Cool. And with SJL's past behavior, I'm willing to side with the passenger here.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
I wonder if the congresswoman sometimes doesn't get upgraded (ie, UA always ensures that she sits in F).
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
I wonder if the congresswoman sometimes doesn't get upgraded (ie, UA always ensures that she sits in F).
No way they're gonna take a chance on a "Tizzy Fit!" Especially when she represents the district where IAH sits smack dab in the middle of!
JNelson113 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.