Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pax accuses UA of giving her F seat to US Rep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Please Read

It is the desire of the FT UA Moderation Team to keep this thread open, as there is still much to be learned. While realizing this incident has some elements that have led to some very active discussion; such as the Congresswoman is local to a major UA hub and familiar to many UA flyers, FT has certain rules for discussion. This forum is focused on travel with UA and there are better places for other types of discussion.

After some discussion among the FT UA Moderators, we wish to clarify what is appropriate and what is not.
Discussion of the actual incident and how it might have happened
Discussion of how UA has handled the event
Discussion if the congresswoman or others forced this to happen
Discussion of UA granting unearned GS status

Not appropriate and better elsewhere
Overly political or racial comments about the congresswoman (or anyone else)
General comments about politicians, government officials unrelated to the actual incident
General ethics discussion concerning corporate/government officials accepting complimentary status

And all the standard FT rules apply including not commenting on other posters and not posting unnecessarily inflammatory, inciting or provocative comments.

Generally, if you are not discussing the incident, good chance you may be Off Topic.

WineCountryUA
on behalf of the UA FT Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Pax accuses UA of giving her F seat to US Rep

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
This is what happens when you make your airline policy "Never remove a seated passenger."

Somehow PAX lost their reservation on the flight, and the Congresscritter who has GS status and picks her flights last minute was on the top of the list and got the vacated seat. Once she was on the plane, per United policy, nothing could be done.

DG compensation happened because pax did pay for an F seat and didn' fly in it.

I doubt anyone intentionally bumped the PAX as this wouldn't be the way they'd do it if the goal was to get the Congresscritter a seat.

Old Dec 25, 2017, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by raehl311
This is what happens when you make your airline policy "Never remove a seated passenger."
This was a bad policy when it was crafted, and it hasn’t been enforced — there was a report on the “is this IDB?” thread where someone was removed from a flight after having boarded as a (cleared) standby passenger. However, there’s absolutely nothing saying that UA could not, if they had chosen to do so, walked to the first passenger on the downgrade list and asked them to move back to E+. Of course, if the passenger had refused to move, UA would have had no good options. Having said that, it’s entirely possible that an award ticket, even at the Everyday level, is actually first on that list.

The fact that the woman began her Facebook rant by bringing up Dao immediately makes me question her veracity, however. Without re-hashing that scenario, I’ll just say that there’s a giant gulf between what happened in April and being told that her reservation had been deleted and being reseated in E+.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 25, 2017 at 11:34 pm Reason: OT/OMNI content removed per Moderator note
Old Dec 25, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
It's pretty safe to say that the Congresswoman usually doesn't need to hassle with a lowly g/a when she shows up for every one of her flights. She simply makes a call to her "Host" @ UA who takes care of things for her. Every airline and station have people that handle VIP's, and things get taken care of, no matter what it takes. Jackson Lee swings a lot of weight, as others have mentioned, and HQ doesn't want to deal with her, so it is up to the "Host" to handle matters on the qt and efficiently. Even though this incident got out of control, by a smarter than average pax, it will be handled efficiently, and nothing more will come of it until once again Ms. Lee pushes it too far, which she seems to be close to doing. But then again, who at UAL has the huevos to take her on?
Old Dec 25, 2017, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Two Bee
But then again, who at UAL has the huevos to take her on?
Are you expecting them to throw eggs at her?
Cotumely likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by lobo411
The latter. She threw a fit. I gather that she didn't get a voucher at the time. She got nothing until she complained about it on FB, and UA sent her a voucher hours/days after the event:

United Airlines accused of 'erasing' teacher from first class to favour US congresswoman
i'm sorry but asking to fly in the class you paid for is not throwing a fit....
wrp96 and Cotumely like this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Who knows what the truth is. It's impossible for us to know since both sides have a very plausible explanation.

I think the only truth here under either story is that UA is the one getting screwed. They are in a no-win situation.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Better keep your UA Gold+ status, then, lest you care to embarrass yourself. Standby is $75 (collected if it clears) for general or Silver members. I don’t necessarily position this as informative to this thread, however, since it is waived during IRROPS.
I don't care what UA wants to charge, I'm not paying extra money to help UA with load factors! I just made Gold last week. I've spent the last 3 years as a kettle/Silver and only done a handful of SBYs. No one has attempted to charge me. In fact, GAs should be embarrassed for trying to charge me to do them a favor.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
I don't care what UA wants to charge, I'm not paying extra money to help UA with load factors! I just made Gold last week. I've spent the last 3 years as a kettle/Silver and only done a handful of SBYs. No one has attempted to charge me. In fact, GAs should be embarrassed for trying to charge me to do them a favor.
Perhaps you’ve stood by for an earlier connecting flight, for which there is no fee (per a poorly-documented ex-CO policy), or in an IRROPS situation. For an originating/nonstop flight, UA does not offer free standby and has not done so in 7 years (a quick Google search shows the policy went into effect April 28, 2010).

Also, unless your original flight was extremely oversold, it’s unlikely you were doing anyone a favor, least of all the gate agents. You likely just opened up a seat for them to move someone else into later or allow to go free.

If you’ve truly done ordinary, run-of-the-mill standby in the last three years without being charged, the gate agents have been doing you a favor, not vice versa.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Unfortunately for UA, I find it entirely plausible that they finagled the ticketing to accommodate a politician at the expense of an average person. On the other hand, I have long been under the impression that if you click on “change flights”, it puts your ticket into some type of limbo, and that if you do not properly exit out of it, you could lose your seat reservation.That is why I have always been careful to confirm no changes if I click on “change flights”, even if just looking and not selecting anything.Maybe someone else can confirm that.It might explain how the seat became available.Though I would still say this would still be UA’s fault, just the IT rather than a GA. I sincerely hope that someone (DOT, press) gets to the bottom of it. If the airline changed the reservation of a regular person to give the seat to a politician, they should pay serious compensation and it should be publicized.Reason number 1 million and 1 to watch your reservation like a hawk and board first (though that might not have helped since from the story, it looks like the politician was GS - which raises a question of whether UA gives very valuable GS status to politicians, and if so which ones. Hello Daily Mail?).
artvandalay and denver19 like this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Fox News

Fox News is saying the Congresswoman had something to do with this. No evidence of that. Now that is Fake News.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Fox News is saying the Congresswoman had something to do with this. No evidence of that. Now that is Fake News.
Would you mind directing us to that "Fake News" stuff, as all I can find are 2,590+ conversations (comments) on there about this incident. I can not find anything that FOX News has to say laying the blame on SJL, but if you would kindly post that info it would be swell. It shouldn't be hard to find as it is the #1 trending news article on Fox News today!
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
The biggest question in all this to me - does UA really auto-upgrade within 90 minutes of departure? The company line is that the passenger canceled her flight at T-80 (or it was "canceled by united.com") and then the system upgraded the first person on the list. At AA, starting ~four hours before the flight, nothing clears until T-30 by the GA - I would have thought UA was the same.

​​​​
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
The biggest question in all this to me - does UA really auto-upgrade within 90 minutes of departure? The company line is that the passenger canceled her flight at T-80 (or it was "canceled by united.com") and then the system upgraded the first person on the list. At AA, starting ~four hours before the flight, nothing clears until T-30 by the GA - I would have thought UA was the same.

​​​​
It's close to the same depending who gets to play God @ the gate, as they want to sell these seats, up to the very last possible minute.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by iadisgreat

​​​​
Before boarding flight was delayed due to a late inbound aircraft. So not sure when the delay became official. Could have been 80 minutes prior to the delayed boarding was the normal window of gate control.

Or could have been something out of the ordinary - a manual cancellation on the web followed by some keystrokes to process the upgrade.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
A question for the gurus who understand United's IT systems and policies far better than I do...

Is it possible that when the passenger went into the app to check for alternate flights her reservation was put into "limbo" as described by Artpen100 above. At the same moment, either by chance or an eagle-eyed VIP host, seat 1A was shown as available and they swooped on it to put the congressperson there. But then the original passenger backed out of the change flights phase (clicking "keep my original reservation" or whatever), leaving her reservation hosed up to the point where the system didn't know what to do with it. So now she tries to board with what she thinks is still a valid boarding pass, but the gate flashes red and the gate agent can only see the mess in her record. That could explain the various answers she was given ("You have no seat," "You have no reservation," "You have no ticket," etc.) because we all know run-of-the-mill United staff often can't decipher even fairly basic record information. There were no first-class seats to put her in, they knew that a high-maintenance VIP was now in the seat, and they offered more generous-than-usual downgrade compensation in the hopes the whole thing would blow over.

Possible? Plausible?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.