Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pax accuses UA of giving her F seat to US Rep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Please Read

It is the desire of the FT UA Moderation Team to keep this thread open, as there is still much to be learned. While realizing this incident has some elements that have led to some very active discussion; such as the Congresswoman is local to a major UA hub and familiar to many UA flyers, FT has certain rules for discussion. This forum is focused on travel with UA and there are better places for other types of discussion.

After some discussion among the FT UA Moderators, we wish to clarify what is appropriate and what is not.
Discussion of the actual incident and how it might have happened
Discussion of how UA has handled the event
Discussion if the congresswoman or others forced this to happen
Discussion of UA granting unearned GS status

Not appropriate and better elsewhere
Overly political or racial comments about the congresswoman (or anyone else)
General comments about politicians, government officials unrelated to the actual incident
General ethics discussion concerning corporate/government officials accepting complimentary status

And all the standard FT rules apply including not commenting on other posters and not posting unnecessarily inflammatory, inciting or provocative comments.

Generally, if you are not discussing the incident, good chance you may be Off Topic.

WineCountryUA
on behalf of the UA FT Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Pax accuses UA of giving her F seat to US Rep

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
Why would somebody fly from Guatemala to Houston on the way to DC, and then halfway home cancel the remaining half of her trip? Even if she retained a paper boarding pass, with old info on it and presented it for boarding; I don't understand why somebody would do such a thing. Usually, halfway home, I'm just itching to get the trip over. I would never consider cancelling the remaining leg.

Fox just picked up the story:
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/1...ckson-lee.html

Another hiccup for United WRT treatment of customers.

Last edited by denver19; Dec 24, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Old Dec 24, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by hughw
Of course it is front page news. Due to the Dao incident from last year, the editor's desk on all these rags probably puts any article with the keyword "United" to the front of the queue. If it bleeds it leads, and they are going to fill their space with any negative United news they can get. Don't remember them spending much time putting any positive United stories in the press recently. They might have given some second page space to the charitable work for Harvey & Irma, but definitely didn't dwell on it with multiple articles.

Originally Posted by Lani1
Classic United BS - no doubt Jackson-Lee and United kicked this person out of 1A
Actually there is great doubt in my mind that this is how it happened. Possibly a mistake on the pax part, or a systems failure by United, but I have a hard time believing collusion and nefarious intent on the part of the airline.
chrisny2 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 24, 2017 at 2:32 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 24, 2017, 2:52 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by denver19
Why would somebody fly from Guatemala to Houston on the way to DC, and then halfway home cancel the remaining half of her trip? Even if she retained a paper boarding pass, with old info on it and presented it for boarding; I don't understand why somebody would do such a thing. Usually, halfway home, I'm just itching to get the trip over. I would never consider cancelling the remaining leg.

Fox just picked up the story:
Woman claims United gave her seat to Democrat Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee | Fox News

Another hiccup for United WRT treatment of customers.
simple. Inbound flight is late, it gives you new connection options. You accept them. Connecting flight gets delayed, you’re able to get there, but you’re now booked on later flight, not original. Happens frequently as airlines operations, being impacted by many possible unforeseen things, are not always accurate.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Read this gem from VFTW (pardon the shill) this morning
Lee had come to expect other deluxe perks not always available in Continental’s non-hub cities, Cox explained.

She then described an incident the previous month when Lee boarded a flight at National, and found the menu did not include a seafood special she had wanted.

“She screamed at the top of her lungs at least a minute,” Burruss quotes Cox as telling her. “She embarrassed the flight attendants and the passengers in first class. And she embarrassed herself.”

According to Burruss, Cox claimed Lee declared, “Don’t you know who I am? I’m Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee. Where is my seafood meal? I know it was ordered!”

…According to Burruss, Lee routinely demands three first-class reservations on the carrier for Monday and Tuesday when she is in Washington, and then decides at the last minute which one to use. The airline was fed up with the arrangement, and began reducing the reservations to coach class, a development that infuriated Lee when staffers told her they could not guarantee her first-class seats.
United Passenger Accused of Racism After Losing First Class to Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee - View from the Wing
Old Dec 24, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by fastair

simple. Inbound flight is late, it gives you new connection options. You accept them. Connecting flight gets delayed, you’re able to get there, but you’re now booked on later flight, not original. Happens frequently as airlines operations, being impacted by many possible unforeseen things, are not always accurate.
But then when you present your BP for the original flight, United doesn't say "You aren't on this flight." They say; "We can rebook you in E+".

So you have to believe 1 of 2 stories:

1. This lady changed her second leg accidentally, putting herself on a different flight, but didn't realize same. Simultaneously, United put a high profile flyer in her 1A seat, and all this was just a coincidence. Then they magnanimously put her back on the original flight in E+ and gave her $500, for reasons I cannot devine.

2. United decides to put a known flyer, who is a US Rep in first class. They relocate the person formerly in 1A into E+. Later, try to blame the flyer.

I find explanation 2 more believable. Your mileage may vary...

Last edited by denver19; Dec 24, 2017 at 4:45 pm
Old Dec 24, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by denver19
But then when you present your BP for the original flight, United doesn't say "You aren't on this flight." They say; "We can rebook you in E+".

So you have to believe 1 of 2 stories:

1. This lady changed her second leg accidentally, putting herself on a different flight, but didn't realize same. Simultaneously, United put a high profile flyer in her 1A seat, and all this was just a coincidence. Then they magnanimously put her back on the original flight in E+ and gave her $500, for reasons I cannot devine.

2. United decides to put a known flyer, who is a US Rep in first class. They relocate the person formally in 1A into E+. Later, try to blame the flyer.

I find explanation 2 more believable. Your mileage may vary...
Explanation 2 definitely!!
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 4:07 pm
Suspended

I don't blame the customer....the person got hosed....how would you feel if it was u???? I wouldn't let it go if I burned up those miles and got this trouble as a result.....However I'm fairly certain since the customer use what sounds like Everyday Award...UA likely would put the customer in first on the next available flight with an open 1st seat.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
I got bumped one time from a paid first class seat to e+. LAX-IAH. Gate agent "told" me (didn't ask) I had to be moved for a "special needs" passenger.

Didn't complain got my whole ticket refunded and $800 credit for future flight.

When I boarded the plane the person sitting in my previous seat didn't look "special needs" to me. Non-Rev if i had to guess. GA doing someone a favor?
Old Dec 24, 2017, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by bhunt
I got bumped one time from a paid first class seat to e+. LAX-IAH. Gate agent "told" me (didn't ask) I had to be moved for a "special needs" passenger.

When I boarded the plane the person sitting in my previous seat didn't look "special needs" to me. Non-Rev if i had to guess. GA doing someone a favor?
Could it have been a Federal Air Marshal? The times I've been bumped, I was told it was for "operational reasons," or something equally vague, but it seemed obvious the seat was taken by an FAM.

As far as the OP, the guess here is United caved in to the horrific temper and nastiness that is Rep. Jackson-Lee. She is legendary on Capitol Hill, and for all the wrong reasons.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:54 pm

They booted her and they do it all the time.
Silver Fox, denver19 and Two Bee like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 24, 2017 at 8:38 pm Reason: Discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Dec 24, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
CO knew how to handle this situation

“In May 1999, as Continental flight 1961 prepared to leave Reagan National Airport in Washington, Jackson Lee became flustered when she couldn't find her purse. Thinking she had left it in the boarding area, she went back to search for it. Meanwhile, the plane pulled away from the gate. Moments later, her purse was found onboard. According to aviation lobbyists at the time, Jackson Lee demanded that she be let back on the flight. Airline employees explained that FAA rules prohibit planes from returning to the gate once they've taxied away, but Jackson Lee was unconvinced. She accused the gate staff of racism and demanded to see their supervisor, who was a black woman. Her purse, meanwhile, was unceremoniously dropped out of the cockpit window”
Old Dec 24, 2017, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhunt

Clean-cut, healthy male perhaps? (FAM--you'll never be told the true reason when it happens because that would identify the FAM and they're not supposed to do that.)
Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:32 pm

I hope the displaced passenger sues the congresswoman for libel over the racism charge.
DJ_Iceman, Silver Fox and Kevin AA like this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Clean-cut, healthy male perhaps? (FAM--you'll never be told the true reason when it happens because that would identify the FAM and they're not supposed to do that.)
Yes, the 28 year old with the high&tight haircut, wearing an overly baggy/long plaid shirt in 2A whilst holding his newspaper upside down, never sleeping on a 8 hour flight and not drinking. Oh, and also every time he walks by you can see the outline of his Sig P229. haha. Hard to miss.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by HomerJay
Could it have been a Federal Air Marshal?
We won't need No Stinkin' FAM's btw IAH & DCA with the passage of this bill!

(June 20, 2017)
Congress is considering new legislation that would permit lawmakers to carry a concealed firearm wherever they perform official duties across the United States, according to a copy of the new bill that marks an unprecedented effort to help lawmakers confront a growing threat to their safety.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.