Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ways to search for upgrade space at booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Until 18 Oct 2018, upgrade space for RPU/GPUs was "R" ("PN" for GS), starting 19 Oct 2018 "R" has been replaced by "PZ"
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)
"R" upgrade / fare class is missing! (replaced by PZ)
Expert Mode Update: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data.

When using Expert to find upgrade space, check segments individually because checking multiple segments may defaults to reporting the less inventory (such as zero) of any segment for the multi-segment result
R / PZ Avail changes depending on how you search flights
Segments clear individually based on their upgrade space

UA provides Advance Search options for Mileage Upgrades or GPUs or RPUs -- There are complications with those searches, so if used to find space best to just record the flights and then book without the extra search options.

If you expect for an upgrade to clear after booking and it does not, remember you can cancel within 24 hours with no cancellation fee.

There are no tools available for searching for more than one day or one route at a time. UA has blocked any attempts by third parties to provides such tools,
Print Wikipost

Ways to search for upgrade space at booking?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2021, 10:09 am

Programs: UA GS, EK Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Avis First, Hertz Pres Club
PN inventory search

Is there a way to set up an alert for PN inventory availability for a specific flight within a date range?
Old Feb 24, 2021, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
United doesn't provide alerts and ExpertFlyer can't be used for subclasses such as PN or PZ.

-RM
Old Feb 24, 2021, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
ExpertFlyer can't be used for subclasses such as PN or PZ.
Has nothing to do with "subclasses." They'll get sued by UA if they scrape that data for resale.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Kacee
Has nothing to do with "subclasses." They'll get sued by UA if they scrape that data for resale.
The point of my post was quite clear...subclasses will not be displayed in EF. Valid and true statement. I didn't attempt to explain why.

P is a valid class and displayed in EF. Anything sub to "P" such as PZ and PN are not displayed. End of point.

-RM
Old Feb 24, 2021, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
The point of my post was quite clear...
I'm not sure everyone would agree with that. EF absolutely has the capability to allow searches for subclasses, the problem is that it would have to pull the underlying data from UA's site (which it used to do, back in the days that you could set an alert for upgrade inventory). This is why I clarified the reason has nothing to do with subclasses, it has to do with UA having previously sent a cease and desist to EF about scraping its proprietary data.
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm not sure everyone would agree with that. EF absolutely has the capability to allow searches for subclasses, the problem is that it would have to pull the underlying data from UA's site (which it used to do, back in the days that you could set an alert for upgrade inventory). This is why I clarified the reason has nothing to do with subclasses, it has to do with UA having previously sent a cease and desist to EF about scraping its proprietary data.
i was ticked off when UA took this action. How could they possibly benefit from blocking PN/PZ tracking? All they did was anger 1K/GSs.
Old May 24, 2021, 7:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, United 1K, Southwest Preferred Plus
PlusPoints Non-Waitlist Availability Calender

I have not had much success in using my PlusPoints. Is there a calendar to search for non-waitlisted available flights using PlusPoints?

Also, do you think they may change the option of using more points to get an upgrade at the time of booking?
Old May 24, 2021, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by aloha12
I have not had much success in using my PlusPoints. Is there a calendar to search for non-waitlisted available flights using PlusPoints?

Also, do you think they may change the option of using more points to get an upgrade at the time of booking?
If you enable expert mode on your account, you can search for PZ >0 when you perform your original flight bookings. If PZ >0, you can immediately confirm the PlusPoints upgrade.
Old May 24, 2021, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam

No calendar. Have to search day by day, flight by flight.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 24, 2021, 7:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, United 1K, Southwest Preferred Plus
Thanks. I do that but just wanted to avoid having to avoid having to look at each flight on individual days.
Old May 24, 2021, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Thanks. I do that but just wanted to avoid having to avoid having to look at each flight on individual days.
united makes it difficult for a reason
Old May 24, 2021, 8:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
united makes it difficult for a reason
Who makes it easier?
Who else provides Expert Mode?
Old May 24, 2021, 8:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Who makes it easier?
All the US airlines are about the same. They all don’t make it easy. Because if you could see a Calender that would allow people to buy and upgrade instead of buying business. They want to keep upgrade instruments for upgrading, not discounts for business class tickets.
Old May 24, 2021, 8:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
All the US airlines are about the same. ....
Not aware of any other domestic carrier with Expert Mode, nor are international carriers any more fore coming on their sites.

Yes, UA does not offer a list of upgradeable sites per se, they deserve some credit for providing more accessable info than others.
Old May 24, 2021, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Who makes it easier?
All the US airlines are about the same. They all don’t make it easy. Because if you could see a Calender that would allow people to buy and upgrade instead of buying business. They want to keep upgrade instruments for upgrading, not discounts for business class tickets.
I'd argue the process is a tad easier on AA, simply because it allows EF to scrape its upgrade/award classes and EF in turn allows you to search within +/- 3 days of a specific date, so up to seven days at a time. Not sure to what, if any, extent AA itself was "involved" in enabling this "feature" though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.