Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ways to search for upgrade space at booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Until 18 Oct 2018, upgrade space for RPU/GPUs was "R" ("PN" for GS), starting 19 Oct 2018 "R" has been replaced by "PZ"
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)
"R" upgrade / fare class is missing! (replaced by PZ)
Expert Mode Update: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data.

When using Expert to find upgrade space, check segments individually because checking multiple segments may defaults to reporting the less inventory (such as zero) of any segment for the multi-segment result
R / PZ Avail changes depending on how you search flights
Segments clear individually based on their upgrade space

UA provides Advance Search options for Mileage Upgrades or GPUs or RPUs -- There are complications with those searches, so if used to find space best to just record the flights and then book without the extra search options.

If you expect for an upgrade to clear after booking and it does not, remember you can cancel within 24 hours with no cancellation fee.

There are no tools available for searching for more than one day or one route at a time. UA has blocked any attempts by third parties to provides such tools,
Print Wikipost

Ways to search for upgrade space at booking?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2022, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
In order:
  • No (see above); look for PZ.
  • Activate expert mode and spend a lot of time on your phone (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...site-down.html).
  • Look for open PZ. Since you already found PN0 all dates for EWR-ATH, there will be PZ0 on all dates. So start looking for -FRA, -MUC, -BRU, etc. If you can't find it, either reconcile to flying Y (waitlist anyway), reconcile to paying J, use google flights to find better value on another carrier, or (last best option) reconcile to paying O and live on the edge with your upgrade waitlist (might clear).
  • Not likely from waitlist. Solo flyer in PE is best chance, and eastbound it's very difficult. Best chance is mid-week (We/Th), but in the age of zoom and too much affluent leisure spend that's not a sure thing.
Thanks--this is kind of bleak to be honest and leaves me wondering what was the point of getting all these PlusPoints if I can't use them.

Sounds like best strategy is to just look for open PZ at the time of booking. So back to my original question, if a flight has 0 PZ now, will that ever change (e.g., if United decides there is no cash demand on that route), or am I better off looking for another flight with PZ?

On a different note, how is PlusPoints upgrade possibility to Hawaii/Asia?
Old Nov 1, 2022, 9:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
1K clears into PZ, not PN. PN is for GS.
I was just going to ask if PN isn't just for GS because that's what I had thought it was. Thank you for pre-answering my question .
Old Nov 1, 2022, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by XUEC
Thanks--this is kind of bleak to be honest and leaves me wondering what was the point of getting all these PlusPoints if I can't use them.

Sounds like best strategy is to just look for open PZ at the time of booking. So back to my original question, if a flight has 0 PZ now, will that ever change (e.g., if United decides there is no cash demand on that route), or am I better off looking for another flight with PZ?

On a different note, how is PlusPoints upgrade possibility to Hawaii/Asia?
It may change. It's most likely to go positive if inventory is P9PN0PZ0. But you are by far best off looking for another flight with PZ and working on your schedule around the flights to make it feasible.

Hawaii is difficult except perhaps Jan/Feb. Asia currently is not as difficult, but it's still not wide open (e.g., you will not clear SFO-SIN).

edit add: lest this all seem too sobering — good luck! It can be done. It's just not easy, especially if you have other schedule/routing constraints.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
It may change. It's most likely to go positive if inventory is P9PN0PZ0. But you are by far best off looking for another flight with PZ and working on your schedule around the flights to make it feasible.

Hawaii is difficult except perhaps Jan/Feb. Asia currently is not as difficult, but it's still not wide open (e.g., you will not clear SFO-SIN).

edit add: lest this all seem too sobering — good luck! It can be done. It's just not easy, especially if you have other schedule/routing constraints.
Thanks--it will make it all the sweeter when I make it work. We don't have any routing constraints but of course would prefer not to travel mid-week to mid-week.

Two more questions:

1. how is EWR-NRT/HAN or EWR-HKG these days? That would be other big trip next year to somewhere in East Asia.
2. any data points on PlusPoints price for skip the waitlist to Europe from EWR and Asia from EWR? I'm seeing around 100 to Europe each way (yikes), how about Asia?
Old Nov 1, 2022, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks--it will make it all the sweeter when I make it work. We don't have any routing constraints but of course would prefer not to travel mid-week to mid-week.

Two more questions:

1. how is EWR-NRT/HAN or EWR-HKG these days? That would be other big trip next year to somewhere in East Asia.
2. any data points on PlusPoints price for skip the waitlist to Europe from EWR and Asia from EWR? I'm seeing around 100 to Europe each way (yikes), how about Asia?
1. There's no service EWR-HAN/HKG, and I wouldn't expect there to be any next year. EWR-NRT could have a chance although again not easy. SFO-NRT would be easier (obvious compromises). And again look for PZ>0, or P9PN?P0 if you must waitlist.
2. I've not seen StW offered to Asia, but I also had not seen it offered to Europe, so — sorry, not sure. However, 100 is the lowest I've seen at all.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two more questions:

I assume you mean HND (Tokyo Haneda), not HAN (Hanoi). UA has never flown to Hanoi.

Where/when are you seeing StW to Europe? That would be major news. With the exception of a brief period last year, StW has only been offered on flights to South America.

If the W fare is reasonable, 100 points is a steal. If your plans are firm, and it's available on a flight that makes sense for you, take it and don't look back. It's only 20 points more than a waitlisted upgrade from a discount fare class would be.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 12:14 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Looking for PZ

I use expert mode to search for upgrade space. Is there an alternative method?
Old Nov 12, 2022, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mmack
I use expert mode to search for upgrade space. Is there an alternative method?
you can search with advanced search and tick the box that you want to upgrade with +Ps. That'll also show you what is available or would waitlist. Can be easier than with the app these days, but YMMV
Old Dec 1, 2022, 12:41 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Any way of searching PZ inventory

Slightly OT I guess, but...

With a small wad of PPs burning a hole in my pocket and time to spare, I am willing to travel anywhere from SFO/LAX/ORD/IAH/DEN to Europe over a 2 week window in May.

Now that Expert Flyer access to UA inventory has (long) gone, expert mode appears to be gone on the website, hand searching using the app is really tiresome (and currently unrewarding!), and with PZ space as rare as hen's teeth, is there anyway to scan broadly for PZ space over multiple flights like those mentioned above?

Can an agent do it?

Thanks in advance.

Lurker
Old Dec 1, 2022, 12:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Lurker
expert mode appears to be gone on the website
Expert mode is available on the website. Though I find the app quicker and easier to use.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Questions about searching for flights which can be upgraded with Plus Points:

1 - Are there any TATL flights which are available immediately, without being Waitlisted?

2 - I'm in expert mode and it shows the fare class for the segments but it doesn't show the inventory for the segment?

3 - I'm looking at two different routings with PP fares which can be upgraded, SFO-FRA-NCE and SFO-EWR-NCE. Which is more likely to be upgrade out of SFO, the SFO-FRA (UA926) or SFO-EWR/EWR-NCE?
Old Dec 4, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by frappant

1 - Are there any TATL flights which are available immediately, without being Waitlisted?

2 - I'm in expert mode and it shows the fare class for the segments but it doesn't show the inventory for the segment?

3 - I'm looking at two different routings with PP fares which can be upgraded, SFO-FRA-NCE and SFO-EWR-NCE. Which is more likely to be upgrade out of SFO, the SFO-FRA (UA926) or SFO-EWR/EWR-NCE?
EWR-NCE without a doubt.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by frappant

Not a confirmed upgrade, but high probability of upgrade: About a dozen people were upgraded today from GVA-EWR. Everyone who wanted an upgrade got one. There were 6 empty seats in Business and 7 open seats in premium plus.

You could fly there and take the train to Nice
Old Dec 4, 2022, 11:52 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by nexus7556
Not a confirmed upgrade, but high probability of upgrade: About a dozen people were upgraded today from GVA-EWR. Everyone who wanted an upgrade got one. There were 6 empty seats in Business and 7 open seats in premium plus.

You could fly there and take the train to Nice
Fly to GVA instead of NCE? Because GVA would be easier to upgrade around June?
Old Dec 16, 2022, 10:13 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Expert Flyer

I'm trying to search for PZ and IN availability using Expert Flyer, and it doesn't seem to be an option. Am I missing something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.