Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ways to search for upgrade space at booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Until 18 Oct 2018, upgrade space for RPU/GPUs was "R" ("PN" for GS), starting 19 Oct 2018 "R" has been replaced by "PZ"
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)
"R" upgrade / fare class is missing! (replaced by PZ)
Expert Mode Update: better upgrade visibility and opt-in to see fare bucket data.

When using Expert to find upgrade space, check segments individually because checking multiple segments may defaults to reporting the less inventory (such as zero) of any segment for the multi-segment result
R / PZ Avail changes depending on how you search flights
Segments clear individually based on their upgrade space

UA provides Advance Search options for Mileage Upgrades or GPUs or RPUs -- There are complications with those searches, so if used to find space best to just record the flights and then book without the extra search options.

If you expect for an upgrade to clear after booking and it does not, remember you can cancel within 24 hours with no cancellation fee.

There are no tools available for searching for more than one day or one route at a time. UA has blocked any attempts by third parties to provides such tools,
Print Wikipost

Ways to search for upgrade space at booking?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
If it's booked 20/39, this far in advance, the chance for a waitlisted 1K upgrade to clear is near zero.
I was trying to give the bad news in a gentle way. Maybe the traveler asking this question should check routing the trip through FRA. Tuesdays are usually good for upgrades.
jsloan likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 9:32 pm
eyi

Upgrade availability

Does anyone know if there's an easier way to check for upgradeable fares that are available/green using MileagePlus Upgrade Awards, rather than just going date by date?
Old May 29, 2019, 10:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by eyi
Does anyone know if there's an easier way to check for upgradeable fares that are available/green using MileagePlus Upgrade Awards, rather than just going date by date?
No, UA has blocked third parties that have offered such tools.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No, UA has blocked third parties that have offered such tools.
This question seems to come up all the time, just curious as to how they "block" this. Also it seemed that awhile back some third party was doing it briefly and from what I heard not well and then per your comment was "blocked".
Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
This question seems to come up all the time, just curious as to how they "block" this. Also it seemed that awhile back some third party was doing it briefly and from what I heard not well and then per your comment was "blocked".
The only source of information is via UA.com and the terms of use state that use of the site to harvest such information is not allowed. And those that have created tools have received Cease and Desist letters from UA. There are various other additional remedies for UA.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
My last three successful GPUs was me playing the lottery and all three took at time of applying the GPU - there was no indication of PZ availability (and in fact my last attempt I had upfared to an R fare and would only have upfared to W had I been aware PZ was available.

Most of my other GPUs and RPUs this year have been some time after I applied for them.

As others have suggested usually successful for Tuesdays and Wednesdays and unsuccessful for Fridays and Sateudays.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:17 pm

MileagePlus Award Upgrades - Flights with automatic Upgrades (from DEN)

Is it possible to search for flights (or destinations) that have Mileage Plus Award Upgrade fares that are automatically confirmed at the time of booking? Vs being put on the waitlist?
I have noticed when searching for different international flights from Denver, using a the MAU search/fare option - the only flight or destination that offers an automatic (at the time of booking) MPU is a flight from Narita to Denver. All other flights put on the upgrade waitlist. Even searching a million different dates. That flight seems to be the only one that offers automatic upgrade at the time of booking.
Or, does anyone know of other international destinations (from Denver) that offer automatic upgrade vs waitlist only? Screenshots attached of what I'm talking about.
Wanting to travel to Europe later this year but want to find a flight where we can get the upgrade at the time of booking, vs waiting and never getting the upgrade.
I'm silver and have the United card.
Thanks!!
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by SavSpo
Is it possible to search for flights (or destinations) that have Mileage Plus Award Upgrade fares that are automatically confirmed at the time of booking? Vs being put on the waitlist?
I have noticed when searching for different international flights from Denver, using a the MAU search/fare option - the only flight or destination that offers an automatic (at the time of booking) MPU is a flight from Narita to Denver. All other flights put on the upgrade waitlist. Even searching a million different dates. That flight seems to be the only one that offers automatic upgrade at the time of booking.
Or, does anyone know of other international destinations (from Denver) that offer automatic upgrade vs waitlist only? Screenshots attached of what I'm talking about.
Wanting to travel to Europe later this year but want to find a flight where we can get the upgrade at the time of booking, vs waiting and never getting the upgrade.
I'm silver and have the United card.
Thanks!!
Yes. Expert mode. Then, look for PZ availability.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:51 pm

Right, but you can't search for PZ in expert mode, so I have to look at each flight and date individually? There is no way to see what flights have the automatic upgrade availability?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Right, but you can't search for PZ in expert mode, so I have to look at each flight and date individually? There is no way to see what flights have the automatic upgrade availability?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

That’s correct. In fact, it’s worse than that: you need to check each US gateway individually also. For example, if you want to go to FRA, you’d want to check DEN-FRA, ORD-FRA, IAH-FRA, etc. Otherwise, if the long leg has space available but the domestic leg doesn’t, it’ll still show PZ0.

Note that neither Silver status nor the United Explorer card influence your ability to upgrade.

I’d suggest watching for discount business class fares also. Between the co-pay and the miles, mileage upgrades aren’t necessarily a great value compared to a sale on a business class fare. FlyerTalk has a Premium Cabin Deals board that may be useful.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:22 pm

MileagePlus Award Upgrades - Flights with automatic Upgrades (from DEN)
The short answer is these are not common,

The domestic legs to another UA international gate almost never have PZ at booking. With the limited international flights on UA/partners from DEN, you will likely need to go to another UA international gateway. the MUA search will return mixed cabin results but searching from the other gateway cities first will provide a clearer picture.

But it will take a lot of work, lots o manual searching and TATL upgrade space is tough and probably non-existent between now and late October. Pacific space is a tiny bit better, There is no 'tell what upgrade space is available anywhere function"
Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
To me the frustrating thing is it could be done very easily. As I understand it is has in the past indeed been done by other vendors sites that marketed this tool, however, UA immediately shuts them down. I don't get it, I guess they want their customers to grovel through the muck and find the every elusive upgrade space. Open to comments as to why this makes sense.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420
... Open to comments as to why this makes sense.
Because it puts the few at a great advantage over the many. Additionally, I suspect UA probably believe it will be used by travel hackers / blogs to the disadvantage of their "better" customers. Inequity in access to a major benefit. Plus a third party making a profit on "trafficking" one of UA's most valuable benefits.
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: United
GPU/Plus Points upgrade

Hi all,

Looking for some information for an upcoming milage run. I’ll hit 1k early November and I want to use my GPU/Plus points to help a friend hit platinum before the years up.

Is there a way to search on the United website for upgrades without currently having them in your account?

He needs 13k to reach Platinum and I was hoping to use the plus points to upgrade us but can’t seem to find how to search for December flights without currently having the available.

Thanks for any assistance!
Old Oct 14, 2019, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Yes just enable expert mode or go to advanced options when booking and press on miles plus co pay to look for upgrade space

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.