Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky
Global Services Qualifying Discussion- 2018
Qualification Form
Please only fill out the above form once you are 100% certain that you have made or not made Global Services for 2018.

Qualification Spreadsheet
This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
Use "Global Services 2018 Notifications (ONLY)" to report your actual notification.
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017
For 2017 qualifications, see the 2017 thread

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.

rwsteelers had a good method for determining UA BIS -- the change in Lifetime Miles from the first of the year.
Print Wikipost

2018 GS Qualifying Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by villox
Why do you think iffy? Unless not all of that 70K is UA metal, I've yet to hear of someone with that much spend not getting an invite.
$70K is all UA metal. I say iffy because nobody on FT really knows what the qualification criteria are for achieving GS.

My ultimate goal is to reach 4 million for a lifetime GS before UA changes its program rules. I should get there in 2019. Maybe sooner.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by MostlyUA
$70K is all UA metal. I say iffy because nobody on FT really knows what the qualification criteria are for achieving GS.

My ultimate goal is to reach 4 million for a lifetime GS before UA changes its program rules. I should get there in 2019. Maybe sooner.
In the sense that nobody is ever certain about anything and it can change at any time, sure. But you would be a significant outlier.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by MostlyUA

There are threads here that discuss what basically the qualification "look like". They heat up at the end of the year when people are scrambling to see if they even have a chance of getting the invite. Someone has even collated data as to what people spent, miles, and hub as the where or not they made cut. So yes, while you are correct the "qualifications" are not publicly released you can get a good idea of what your chances are here on some of the FT threads that deal with this topic. I would agree at $70K, UA metal, and no invite you would be at the far end of a bell curve for sure.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Im confused. The spread sheet has a number of qualifications in the $20-$40k range. For example out of EWR and other places, although few out of SFO.

Yet some thinks it's unlikely to get GS at less than $40k or $50k.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by TexasTea
As GS is a revenue based qualification, I don't think $35k will cut it. YMMV though.
So did they never in the past have a requalification criteria that was based on BIS metal on B fares and above? I don't know - that's just what I was told.

I only spent $38k last year and I made it so $35k doesn't seem that much different.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
So did they never in the past have a requalification criteria that was based on BIS metal on B fares and above? I don't know - that's just what I was told.

I only spent $38k last year and I made it so $35k doesn't seem that much different.
$38K got you the invite, just curious what hub do you fly out of? As others have stated, it seems to make a difference. SFO for example is tough, I didn't get the invite at $39K.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by nomad420
$38K got you the invite, just curious what hub do you fly out of? As others have stated, it seems to make a difference. SFO for example is tough, I didn't get the invite at $39K.
I probably had 7 consecutive years with more than $38K where I didn't make GS...
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420
Most flights are round trip PEK-SFO-PEK

So back to my question - does anyone know or has anyone ever heard of a 50k BIS of B fares and above to requalify?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
So back to my question - does anyone know or has anyone ever heard of a 50k BIS of B fares and above to requalify?
I've followed this thread for four years and your post is the first time I've ever heard that.

And there's just no way that 50k BIS in P fares automatically gets you GS. I mean zero chance. If you're flying ps, for example, that's $13.5k in spend. Even if you're flying TPAC or TATL, that's under $25k (and possibly under $20k). Y or B fares would be about the same spend, or lower. Not even close to GS territory.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Around 2010, UA sent a letter to some GS members, saying that they would renew GS status for the next year with 50k miles of some kind of expensive (full fare?) tickets. Search the FT UA archives, pre-merger.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
Around 2010, UA sent a letter to some GS members, saying that they would renew GS status for the next year with 50k miles of some kind of expensive (full fare?) tickets. Search the FT UA archives, pre-merger.
Good to know my friend wasn't totally crazy. I'll look through those archives and see what I find.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
They got me again.............

Keeping the invitation algorithm to GS a secret really is pure marketing and business genius (and I am NOT being sarcastic).

I have been GS for 7 years and love the benefits and service I have received. My business travel is down a little bit this year due to some Q1-Q2 expense control and my evolving role at the company. I was projected to be at my lowest spend in the last 7 years (but still > $40K). That is close based on the anecdotal data for an out station based GS. So what did I do? I booked a TATL trip for Q4 that could have been done in Q1 2018. So instead of relaxing at home, I will be flying to BRU. True insanity on my part, but real genius by UA.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Keeping the invitation algorithm to GS a secret really is pure marketing and business genius (and I am NOT being sarcastic).You won't be lacking for company in the looney bin

I have been GS for 7 years and love the benefits and service I have received. My business travel is down a little bit this year due to some Q1-Q2 expense control and my evolving role at the company. I was projected to be at my lowest spend in the last 7 years (but still > $40K). That is close based on the anecdotal data for an out station based GS. So what did I do? I booked a TATL trip for Q4 that could have been done in Q1 2018. So instead of relaxing at home, I will be flying to BRU. True insanity on my part, but real genius by UA.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Keeping the invitation algorithm to GS a secret really is pure marketing and business genius (and I am NOT being sarcastic).

I disagree. At least for my own experience. I'll spend $35k this year. mix of work business class trips and personal G class trips. If they published a criteria say $40k spend, then I woudl have converted two of those G trips and paid out of pocket up to Business Class. But no way I will spend $5k out of pocket without a guarantee.

Just my experience and everyone else's will be different.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:45 pm

I disagree. At least for my own experience. I'll spend $35k this year. mix of work business class trips and personal G class trips. If they published a criteria say $40k spend, then I woudl have converted two of those G trips and paid out of pocket up to Business Class. But no way I will spend $5k out of pocket without a guarantee.

Just my experience and everyone else's will be different.
Kind of feel the same way. Last year I hit $39K and probably had multiple options as to what I could have done IF $40K for example was the magic number. But not knowing I just let it ride (and no I did not get the invite).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.