Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky
Global Services Qualifying Discussion- 2018
Qualification Form
Please only fill out the above form once you are 100% certain that you have made or not made Global Services for 2018.

Qualification Spreadsheet
This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
Use "Global Services 2018 Notifications (ONLY)" to report your actual notification.
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017
For 2017 qualifications, see the 2017 thread

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.

rwsteelers had a good method for determining UA BIS -- the change in Lifetime Miles from the first of the year.
Print Wikipost

2018 GS Qualifying Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
You may want to look at the spreadsheet in the wiki. 40K spend is borderline bottom of the barrel for LAX guys, especially for initial qualifications.
I just calculated my numbers for 2016 and I spent just a few dollars shy of $50K on UA metal out of SFO but did not get invited to GS.

This year, I'll hit 70K+ and hope that I get invited.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by MostlyUA
I just calculated my numbers for 2016 and I spent just a few dollars shy of $50K on UA metal out of SFO but did not get invited to GS.

This year, I'll hit 70K+ and hope that I get invited.
Was that 2016 spend mostly on premium cabin or full-fare Y,B,M tickets?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by physioprof
I speak with GS agents on a regular basis and also people who should know unequivocally whether fare class has any relevance for GS qualification. No one from global or corporate has ever suggested to me that fare class has any significance for GS qualification.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by ermintrude
I speak with GS agents on a regular basis and also people who should know unequivocally whether fare class has any relevance for GS qualification. No one from global or corporate has ever suggested to me that fare class has any significance for GS qualification.
Here's one version of the GS rejection letter:

At year end, when determining annual invitations to Global Services, we evaluate multiple factors, the most critical of which is your flight activity relative to other members. In order to provide the highest possible level of service, we limit the number of invitations to maintain its exclusivity. We typically invite those who have achieved very high levels of revenue while flying first and business class tickets on United, United Express and Copa Airlines operated flights over recent consecutive years.
All the others I've seen mention fare class as well. So what do you believe it is? Pure spend? Or perhaps the chimerical "cents per mile?"
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Here's one version of the GS rejection letter:
All the others I've seen mention fare class as well. So what do you believe it is? Pure spend? Or perhaps the chimerical "cents per mile?"
I've been consistently told (by those who should know) that the overwhelming factor is UA PQD.

However the degree of flexibility regarding UA PQD required at outstations is outside my knowledge base. There appears to be some flexibility there (looking at the data).

When I looked at the data, it didn't support the common perception that SFO requires greater UA PQD than any other hub. Though I hear conflicting takes on this.

There can I guess be a gray area where perhaps fare class is taken into account, however no one has mentioned it to me, therefore at best IMO if it applies at all it likely only matters the gray area. Either that or everyone is consistently lying to me.

Also I have never heard of any sort of complicated algorithm involved in GS qualification.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by physioprof
At $70K PQD on UA metal alone even out of SFO if this doesn't qualify for a GS invite I want to hear about it (please post back). It would seem to me even if the pax is flying BE that is a big spend rate! Now let's say the spend was around $45K I can see where GS would then look at who is flying F and full-fare vs. discount E. I haven't checked into it since last year but there is that program (mostly for corporate clients) that gets immediate GS qualification for what I thought was a similar spend rate (I am sure someone will know the exact figure).
Old Aug 6, 2017, 5:43 am

I flew BOM-EWR yesterday. Flight had issues and ended in BOS. So I called UA 1k desk and heard, please wait while you are transferred to GLOBAL Services. Yes, I departed BOM as a 1k and landed as GS. Checking my account, I am GS until January 2019, my wife, by way of my million miler status, is also now GS. Here are my stats: 450k PQM (ALL UA metal), $112k PQD for 2017. Maybe I am the first 2018 GS approval?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Rossin86
I flew BOM-EWR yesterday. Flight had issues and ended in BOS. So I called UA 1k desk and heard, please wait while you are transferred to GLOBAL Services. Yes, I departed BOM as a 1k and landed as GS. Checking my account, I am GS until January 2019, my wife, by way of my million miler status, is also now GS. Here are my stats: 450k PQM (ALL UA metal), $112k PQD for 2017. Maybe I am the first 2018 GS approval?
I'm curious, what was the issue? I was on the same flight the day before.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Looks like a pretty high certainty that I will drop back to 1K next year. I don't think $35K PQD is going to make the requal cut this year out of Denver.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Congrats! You are going to enjoy GS. One of the most valuable benefits for a married couple is the ability to force a saver award on any flight for a companion traveling with a GS member on a cash ticket.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA GS
Is this the first confirmed example of mid year GS qualm that wasn't tied to a corporate contract? The spend of course more than justifies it...
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: United
Just got GS for first time!

Hi,
Just looked at my mobile app and it says I am GS. I wasn't aware that they did that mid-year. Currently have flown 236k PQM and $65k. Am also waiting for recent fra to sfo J fare to be credited to my account.
I haven't received anything from united about GS. Will I get something from them explaining benefits? They did send me some coffee 2 weeks ago but no mention of GS. Will this mid year GS last through end of 2018?
Excited to join the group as I know I have earned it with all my travel.
Thanks
Lori
Old Aug 7, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by Lstyles
Hi,
Just looked at my mobile app and it says I am GS. I wasn't aware that they did that mid-year. Currently have flown 236k PQM and $65k. Am also waiting for recent fra to sfo J fare to be credited to my account.
I haven't received anything from united about GS. Will I get something from them explaining benefits? They did send me some coffee 2 weeks ago but no mention of GS. Will this mid year GS last through end of 2018?
Thanks
Lori
Good for you.

I would call the GS number and ask to be put through to customer care. They can answer your questions
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Lstyles
Hi,
Thanks
Lori
This makes the second person getting GS mid-year that I've ever heard of, both within a few days. Could yours have been the result of a corporate contract by chance? If not, it looks like there may be a new process in the works.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by LordHamster
This makes the second person getting GS mid-year that I've ever heard of, both within a few days. Could yours have been the result of a corporate contract by chance? If not, it looks like there may be a new process in the works.
This makes me wonder if anyone with similar spend levels has gotten a re-invitation/extension until 2019.

It certainly makes sense for United to invite GS members who will EASILY qualify midyear to start them in enjoying the benefits, just wonder why they've never done so until now.

It could also be that the number of people who go from not qualifying based on full year spend into EASILY qualifying by midyear is relatively small and we haven't heard about it until now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.