Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky
Global Services Qualifying Discussion- 2018
Qualification Form
Please only fill out the above form once you are 100% certain that you have made or not made Global Services for 2018.

Qualification Spreadsheet
This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
Use "Global Services 2018 Notifications (ONLY)" to report your actual notification.
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017
For 2017 qualifications, see the 2017 thread

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.

rwsteelers had a good method for determining UA BIS -- the change in Lifetime Miles from the first of the year.
Print Wikipost

2018 GS Qualifying Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by villox
It's important to note that since we have no clue how much United requires to qualify for GS and that the PQD system has only existed recently, we have no earthly idea whether United looks at PQD or total spend on UA metal. I would not be surprised if it's the latter. After all, $50k in PassPlus can get you GS and that money can be used on taxes.
My understanding is that indeed it is based ONLY on dollars spent on UA metal. The last 2 years I have not gotten the GS invite because too many dollars were spent on *A metal. Trying not to do that this year but I don't think I will hit the minimum dollar amount (whatever that is) anyhow as my internation (high ticket) travel is down this year but I may be close.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by nomad420
My understanding is that indeed it is based ONLY on dollars spent on UA metal. The last 2 years I have not gotten the GS invite because too many dollars were spent on *A metal. Trying not to do that this year but I don't think I will hit the minimum dollar amount (whatever that is) anyhow as my internation (high ticket) travel is down this year but I may be close.
This is absolutely correct. My only point was that we don't know whether it is totaldollars spent on UA metal, or UA metal PQD, and that it doesn't really matter which it is because we don't know what the magic number is to begin with.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by villox
This is absolutely correct. My only point was that we don't know whether it is totaldollars spent on UA metal, or UA metal PQD, and that it doesn't really matter which it is because we don't know what the magic number is to begin with.
Probably does not matter because the scaling factor in a fairly narrow range -- in the low 0.9x.

As high ticket cost flyers the % reduction of total fares to PQDs is less than that for discount flyers and likely is a narrower range. Mostly dominated by the 7.5% Federal Excise Tax -- as most other items are fixed value fees.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Our best guess was that GS status came to him at least in part due to a corporate contract with the aforementioned consulting firm.
It has been mentioned on this forum for years that UA (and probably most airlines) gives a certain amount of GS status to employees at companies that they wish to retain as permanent/loyal passengers (High Revenue is the objective). It has also been mentioned that some of these GS members NEVER fly, but the travel dept, or the "BIGGEST OF THE BIG SHOT'S", of said company, doles them out to whomever they wish.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Two Bee
It has been mentioned on this forum for years that UA (and probably most airlines) gives a certain amount of GS status to employees at companies that they wish to retain as permanent/loyal passengers (High Revenue is the objective). It has also been mentioned that some of these GS members NEVER fly, but the travel dept, or the "BIGGEST OF THE BIG SHOT'S", of said company, doles them out to whomever they wish.
Yep, that's where I came up with that hypothesis If that's how he got it he wasn't aware -- until he figured out that I flew more and spent more, he thought it was based purely on his travel last year. [Of course, there's also the factor of previous years' travel which we didn't get to discussing, though neither of us have had significant international travel]
Old Aug 20, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold
would it be easier for my wife to re-qualify for GS if she changes her address to Switzerland(uses GVA to fly in and out of Switzerland) instead of EWR? She is working in Switzerland for 2 years so not a problem providing documents for proof.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by physioprof
Congrats! You are going to enjoy GS. One of the most valuable benefits for a married couple is the ability to force a saver award on any flight for a companion traveling with a GS member on a cash ticket.
Whoa! That I did not know. I have been missing out. Is there a place where all these are listed? I knew about upgrading award tix.

I am assuming this is only 1 companion, and only on UA metal. Right?
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sharmaintl
Whoa! That I did not know. I have been missing out. Is there a place where all these are listed? I knew about upgrading award tix.

In the Wiki for the GS benefits thread.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by sharmaintl
I am assuming this is only 1 companion, and only on UA metal. Right?
Yes and yes.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:31 am

Years ago, I recall hearing from a friend of mine that any current GS that flew 50k BIS in FPAJCDZPYB was automatically requalified. Does that sound familiar to anyone on this board? Anyone know if that's still true? I will be way under $40k this year, but about 75k BIS in mix of mostly PZ one C and one D. Plus a 75k BIS in G (Will that actually hurt me?). I expect my spend to be about $35k.

Current 1st year GS. I'm gonna lose it huh?

Address in SNA, most of my round trips begin in PEK.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
Years ago, I recall hearing from a friend of mine that any current GS that flew 50k BIS in FPAJCDZPYB was automatically requalified. Does that sound familiar to anyone on this board? Anyone know if that's still true? I will be way under $40k this year, but about 75k BIS in mix of mostly PZ one C and one D. Plus a 75k BIS in G (Will that actually hurt me?). I expect my spend to be about $35k.

Current 1st year GS. I'm gonna lose it huh?

Address in SNA, most of my round trips begin in PEK.
As GS is a revenue based qualification, I don't think $35k will cut it. YMMV though.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by TexasTea
As GS is a revenue based qualification, I don't think $35k will cut it. YMMV though.
I can tell you that last year out of SFO for base and a $39K spend with a mix of F, C, and economy tickets I did not get the invite. This seemed pretty typical from what was being posted. Looks like the cut is somewhere in the mid $40'sK spend out of a major UA hub.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by nomad420
I can tell you that last year out of SFO for base and a $39K spend with a mix of F, C, and economy tickets I did not get the invite. This seemed pretty typical from what was being posted. Looks like the cut is somewhere in the mid $40'sK spend out of a major UA hub.
I was $49.9K last year and did not get invited. I tried to recreate how much I flew when I was invited to GS, and back then I think it was around 50K. When it went below $40K, I was dropped to 1K.

This year, I will exceed 70K; it's still iffy if I will get invited.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by MostlyUA
I was $49.9K last year and did not get invited. I tried to recreate how much I flew when I was invited to GS, and back then I think it was around 50K. When it went below $40K, I was dropped to 1K.

$70K on UA metal and no invite! Wow, let me know if that happens, even out of a west coast hub.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by MostlyUA

Why do you think iffy? Unless not all of that 70K is UA metal, I've yet to hear of someone with that much spend not getting an invite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.