Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky
Global Services Qualifying Discussion- 2018
Qualification Form
Please only fill out the above form once you are 100% certain that you have made or not made Global Services for 2018.

Qualification Spreadsheet
This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
Use "Global Services 2018 Notifications (ONLY)" to report your actual notification.
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017
For 2017 qualifications, see the 2017 thread

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.

rwsteelers had a good method for determining UA BIS -- the change in Lifetime Miles from the first of the year.
Print Wikipost

2018 GS Qualifying Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: United GS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
I got back in after review

PQD 40661
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hdfdisk
I got back in after review

PQD 40661
wow, maybe I should ask
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Global Services, Marriot Bonvoy Platinum, National VIP Status
Denied upon reconsideration request

Can’t say I’m surprised too much but here’s my stats, just found out I was denied invitation after reconsideration request:
PQD 40,221
PQS 149.5
PQM 161,461

will they issue a “challenge” for first quarter spend or something like that? Does that challenge thing really exist?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: United GS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
wow, maybe I should ask
My PQS is only 37...
so probably that helped
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:57 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The criteria was increased this year?
Or there were more potential folks in the pool this year?
Or your case last year was a wildcard selection and this year numbers weren't higher enough?

It is clear we do not have the exact criteria UA uses and those on the bubble may not make it due to some unknown / hidden factor.
I wonder how representative the FT sample is?

I know many people who spend hundreds of K$ flying and probably have never heard of FT. Some are Delta 360, CK and GS and some are in two of these programs.

I also know lots of people in the 30K-50K range who don't get CK or GS.

FT is a small percentage of fliers.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:19 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by SFFLYR1940
Can’t say I’m surprised too much but here’s my stats, just found out I was denied invitation after reconsideration request:
PQD 40,221
PQS 149.5
PQM 161,461

will they issue a “challenge” for first quarter spend or something like that? Does that challenge thing really exist?
A quick look at the spreadsheet and the thread and it looks like the average cut off for re-qualification was around $43K UA metal PQD.
Yep typically it's $15K UA Metal spend within 3 months. Currently only given once a lifetime.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by bldr1k
I wonder how representative the FT sample is?

I know many people who spend hundreds of K$ flying and probably have never heard of FT. Some are Delta 360, CK and GS and some are in two of these programs.

I also know lots of people in the 30K-50K range who don't get CK or GS.

FT is a small percentage of fliers.
Wow, you know people (as in more than one) that are Delta 360, CK, AND GS?! That's insane...
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Global Services, Marriot Bonvoy Platinum, National VIP Status
Originally Posted by ermintrude
A quick look at the spreadsheet and it looks like the average cut off for re-qualification was around $43K UA metal PQD.
Yep typically it's $15K UA Metal spend within 3 months. Currently only given once a lifetime.
i don’t know quite why I care...as I fly only first domestic and Polaris business or Polaris first (when available)...Great marketing by United I suppose. Might go for the challenge....
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by AugustusM
Officially declined.
Sorry to hear that
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Declined
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by ermintrude
A quick look at the spreadsheet and the thread and it looks like the average cut off for re-qualification was around $43K UA metal PQD.
Are you sure about the once in a lifetime? I had a coworker do it two years in a row. First year was 12k and second was 15k.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Just received a challenge.... only a couple months of 1K for me.

---------------------------------------------

"Thank you for your interest in United Global Services, our highest level of recognition and benefits. In appreciation for your history with us, we are extending you an exclusive, limited-time opportunity to secure United Global Services in 2018.

Purchase and fly US $15,000* (base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges) on flights operated by United or United Express between February 1st and May 1st, to enjoy the very best of United and MileagePlus"
Old Jan 17, 2018, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Did not qualify at 272KPQM/186PQS/$51KPQD(all United). 126 flights, 121 in first and 71 A fares. Also $135K on the United Club card and another $40K on the Explorer card. Appealing the decision but can't do it until next week since I was told 'the tool is not available'.
Officially declined.
Hard to believe the declined decision based on your UA activities and spent.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
This is probably the closest we've seen that CPM somehow matter. Based on the # of segments it looks like almost no international travel. Still surprising though.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
They twice emphasized previous years spend, last year I was around $20K. This year I already have $15K booked already so I was disappointed there was no challenge offered, I would have crushed it.

So I guess the take away is that they are in fact weighting somewhat heavily what you did at least the last year and possibly farther back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.