Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Barely meeting 1K criteria--how close are others?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barely meeting 1K criteria--how close are others?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott/Starwood Platinum Elite, National Executive Elite
I’ll get to the 100,000 (currently at 90,482), but struggling on the PQD. Currently at $9,599 with 8+ trips left for the year. Worried I won’t reach it naturally. Quite the pain with 47 segments. Flights have been mostly in the $140 range this entire year.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Will finish at 100,152. PQD of about $1200 because of mostly partner flights.
Will be 1K for the 5th straight year. Zero work flights as always.

If UA ever removes the foreign PQD waiver without allowing for %earn from partner flights like AA/DL do, that will be the end of that.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: United Airlines, National, Holiday Inn, Marriot
As of last month, I was on schedule for 118k, but due to surgery had to cancel trip to MNL in November.

My PQM for the year will be 100,000....exactly! I have $12414 in PQD.

Last year I had to call in to adjust PQD. They shorted me $17, which was the difference between 1K and Plat. I had 120k PQM last year.
nnn, CaptainMiles, BeeeJay and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
I will end with
PQM: 101,128
PQS: 54.5
PQD: 4,927
and will qualify due to foreign residence waiver.

mduell's scores -57,813 and -66,486,200 !!!

It has been a very liberating year. I only put into UA the minimum to requalify, and flew many airlines that have demonstrated that UA's status is not all that special. When jetBlue refunded my airfare because their flight was 17 minutes late, or Norwegian let me sit in the exit row for no extra charge and provided free wifi in flight, or when in Europe I can buy LCC fare + row 1 + priority boarding + a bag for less than the typical *A flight, or when Spirit offered $14 airport meal vouchers for a 2-hour delay without even asking, or when T-Mobile gives me free gogo wifi which is prevalent on DL and AA, each of those times I think that UA status is not all that important. I fly mostly on low fares, and UA used to have good RDM earning and good redemption values, but those days are gone. I will have to rethink future loyalty. If the foreign PQD waiver disappears, I too will disappear from UA.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:02 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by eisejm
I’ll get to the 100,000 (currently at 90,482), but struggling on the PQD. Currently at $9,599 with 8+ trips left for the year. Worried I won’t reach it naturally. Quite the pain with 47 segments. Flights have been mostly in the $140 range this entire year.
47 segments... i'm going to end with ~108! Currently at 87 segments but only 50,316 pqm. Debating whether to take two saturdays and fly all day to get the extra 12 segments for 1K. Fortunately i've got a South America paid trip to boost my PQD up near $11k so it should be the task of finding some cheap 6 segment flights again (I did this to get 1K a few years ago).

I'm really debating whether it's even worth it. I'll mostly be flying regionally next year and will have a hard time justifying using United when I'll have non-stop with American (probably at a lower cost).
Old Oct 15, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by bigshooter
47 segments... i'm going to end with ~108! Currently at 87 segments but only 50,316 pqm. Debating whether to take two saturdays and fly all day to get the extra 12 segments for 1K. Fortunately i've got a South America paid trip to boost my PQD up near $11k so it should be the task of finding some cheap 6 segment flights again (I did this to get 1K a few years ago).

I'm really debating whether it's even worth it. I'll mostly be flying regionally next year and will have a hard time justifying using United when I'll have non-stop with American (probably at a lower cost).
Unless you are flying internationally, I can't see where 1K will make any significant difference to your flying experience. I think you are in a position where you should have no loyalty to any carrier and just go with the cheapest fare for your preferred cabin and routing.

Since RPUs are so hard to use these days, I end-up buying more P-fares on trans-cons (I still fly in coach on most shorter flights). So, by making RPUs more difficult to use, UA is squeezing more revenue out of me but simultaneously devaluing the domestic value of 1K benefits to me.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott/Starwood Platinum Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Unless you are flying internationally, I can't see where 1K will make any significant difference to your flying experience. I think you are in a position where you should have no loyalty to any carrier and just go with the cheapest fare for your preferred cabin and routing.

Since RPUs are so hard to use these days, I end-up buying more P-fares on trans-cons (I still fly in coach on most shorter flights). So, by making RPUs more difficult to use, UA is squeezing more revenue out of me but simultaneously devaluing the domestic value of 1K benefits to me.
I travel with 4 heavy Pelican cases and the separate 1K area is a lot loss crowded when checking in luggage.

Ha, you’ve got me on segments! Most my flying is EWR-SF if that helps my case at all. I’ll try to reach for 1K this year, but my wife and I are expecting in April, so my travel is going to dip a tad next year.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:05 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum

I was hoping for the GPU's (if you can actually use them these days) and I enjoyed the 1K benefits in case of disruption during personal travel (or when I really had to be somewhere for work). Gold is actually all I NEED so I can have E+ at booking and international lounge access, but Plat is nice for G1 and allegedly better award availability. I stick with United vs cheaper fares so far to hopefully hit MM for LT Gold and to keep my miles crediting to one place for international biz/first awards.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
i think i requalified in early April
Old Oct 15, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
@UAL250

Originally Posted by UAL250
If you don't mind me asking, what area of work are you in? Consulting? I used to hit 1K a little while back when I did that
Bingo! Technology consulting. Me and every other 1K at SFO every week. I'm routinely number 20+ on the upgrade list. I apply RPU/GPUs on every leg and get most of them back as they can't even clear.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
I was hoping for the GPU's (if you can actually use them these days) and I enjoyed the 1K benefits in case of disruption during personal travel (or when I really had to be somewhere for work). Gold is actually all I NEED so I can have E+ at booking and international lounge access, but Plat is nice for G1 and allegedly better award availability. I stick with United vs cheaper fares so far to hopefully hit MM for LT Gold and to keep my miles crediting to one place for international biz/first awards.
Sorry, I misunderstood you. Since you are flying international, it is definitely worth the extra effort to make 1K. I have been able to use all but a couple of my GPUs over the last 4 years, primarily to Asian destinations. In addition, my IRROPS treatment has been fantastic. The 1K line has performed some miracles for me over the last couple years on rerouting after last-minute cancellations, etc. while keeping me in J on international flights, sometimes on other carriers.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
If they had a 2k with 200,000PQM with 24K PQD I would scrape by and just barely hit that. The PQM would be the hard part and I'm mostly domestic a few INTL routes a year.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Based on my planned flights for the rest of the year, I'll be 904PQM short of 1K. I'm way over on PQD. I'll have to plan another trip or do a SDC and take the long way home.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 5:20 pm

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
103K PQM with 12.5K PQD. Least travel in 30 years. Made it on personal vacation travel with 4 international business trips (all in paid P and Z fares). Next year will make via 3MM as only 20K away.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 7:50 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
I am currently at 109,000 PQM, 111.5 PQS and $15,700 PQD.

Zero international paid segments this year (except to Mexico once) and very, very few paid F class flights.

I don't agree with your first statement. Since becoming a 1K in July 2016, my flying experience has become markedly better. I am 95% on CPU's and 100% on RPU's (hopefully I am not jinxing it). Now, that said, routes, days, etc. make a huge difference and I am fortunate to be flexible enough to strategically plan flights to avoid the usual Monday morning and Thursday afternoon rushes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.