Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Barely meeting 1K criteria--how close are others?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barely meeting 1K criteria--how close are others?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
I still have two flights left this year, but should finish with the following:

PQM: 100,369
PQD: $12,165

Required two mileage runs in back to back weekends this month - SFO-EWR-MIA-EWR-SFO and SFO-EWR-PBI-EWR-SFO. Here's to another 250 hours in the tube next year!
Old Dec 22, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
wow...exactly 100,000

One of my last flights of the year required some connections to push me over 100k, so to get to Sacramento, I booked IAH-MIA-EWR-SMF, upgraded the whole way. A mechanical issue caused a late arrival into MIA and a missed connection to EWR. The re-route was through ORD to SMF, that that lost me 600-ish miles.

After that trip, I was 2,018 miles short of 100k, and my last flight to/from PHX was exactly 2,018 miles.

I thought that maybe UA had been kind enough to go in and juggle the PQMs due to the re-routing so that I would hit 100k, but it appears that the miles are correct and just a very happy coincidence that it hit exactly 100,000. I wonder if I could have complained enough for them to give me the originally booked PQMs rather than the re-routed PQMs if I had been just short of 100k.

With only one international flight all year, it is a bear to hit 100k domestically, and I'm happy I didn't have to do a single mile over that.
BeeeJay likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
One of my last flights of the year required some connections to push me over 100k, so to get to Sacramento, I booked IAH-MIA-EWR-SMF, upgraded the whole way. A mechanical issue caused a late arrival into MIA and a missed connection to EWR. The re-route was through ORD to SMF, that that lost me 600-ish miles.

After that trip, I was 2,018 miles short of 100k, and my last flight to/from PHX was exactly 2,018 miles.

I thought that maybe UA had been kind enough to go in and juggle the PQMs due to the re-routing so that I would hit 100k, but it appears that the miles are correct and just a very happy coincidence that it hit exactly 100,000. I wonder if I could have complained enough for them to give me the originally booked PQMs rather than the re-routed PQMs if I had been just short of 100k.

With only one international flight all year, it is a bear to hit 100k domestically, and I'm happy I didn't have to do a single mile over that.
I believe you would be able to request original routing credit
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drew in the air
I believe you would be able to request original routing credit
Correct. With this irrop you can ear ORC.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Send email to MP for ORC

MP service center will add PQM adjustment to your account. One time, I did not mention lifetime miles in my email. They only added PQM adjustment.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
All of my UA operates flights for the year have now posted, in at $11,990 PQD and 131,950 PQM. This last trip was in J to Asia and I’m still short (YYZ P fares are unfairly cheap). I had to book an intra-Asia segment on UA (paying a premium to do so, and fighting with the website to book PE) in order to get the remaining 10 PQD to make 1K.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K3M, Marriott(SPG) Lifetime Plat
A few months back I had to take a look at my year-end travel to see whether I can make it. I ended the year with

PQM: 203,682
PQD: $12,130

I was going to make it with less than $50 over, but had to buy another ticket so I ended up making it with $130 over. I am still pretty happy with the result, but I am very jealous of folks who made it with exactly 100,000 PQMs, or just a few dollars over $12,000.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 4:27 pm

Will be at 102,000 PQMs and 12,076 PQDs.

What made it for me this year was a business class booked trip I took to Korea. I was unaware that PQMS get doubled when booked in business and that’s what put me over the edge.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by segiddins
YYZ P fares are unfairly cheap
Uh... you know, you’re not required to pay the lowest fare, right? If you truly believe that the fares are “unfairly cheap,” you can always purchase a Z fare instead; alternatively, sometimes there may be multiple P fares that apply to the same trip, and while the website will always pull up the cheapest one, a competent — albeit, likely confused — phone agent will be able to sell you a more expensive one.

Personally, I find those fares extremely fair, and I hope UA continues them or even chooses to expand them stateside. ^

On topic: I had to do a PQD run, as those “unfairly low” fares plus good deals on W fares with R space left me short. Assuming I’m able to get ORC for my recent flight, I’ll finish at $12,008 PQD and 150,903 PQM.
nnn likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jsloan

Uh... you know, you’re not required to pay the lowest fare, right?
I know . I’m not really complaining, I’m happy I was able to fly Business instead of Coach and make the journey a fun part of the trip, I just think it’s funny that per BIS mile, I’m paying about my average in coach for the year!
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
PQM: 102210
PQD: 14068

Usually I'm short on PQD but this year I was I was 904 PQM short. I would have been alot farther away actually but a diversion caused me to fly an extra 1931PQM earlier in the year. (Actually more but they don't count the actual diversion). Cheapest PQM deal I could get was $250. Ended up going with the cheapest option, a RT same day MR PHL-DEN for $130
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:29 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
I'm very jealous of everyone's $12,000 PQDs.

I'm hitting 100,000 exactly, but on $21,500 PQDs.

Houston to Richmond is a ridiculously expensive fare, and an ERJ on top of the multiple $1000+ roundtrips.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:39 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I'm 800 miles short of 1K, with a non-refundable FC ticket coming up for travel this weekend that would put me over the top. Called and requested pre-emptive bump to 1K for next year so I could push 2 unused GPU into February and redeem for two trips just purchased today. Denied - was told no until the flight next Sunday posts....but was thanked for being a loyal 1K and Million Miler

Update: saw the R space on my flights starting to go, so called back and got a new supervisor who was super nice, super helpful and willing to bump the two GPUs into 2018 after verifying my flight next weekend, so I could redeem them, and a happy result in the end. He seemed shocked I didn't use any of the GPUs this year at all, but truth be told, I've cut my flying by 50% and just buy P/Z fares domestic and international and end up with the same PQM at the end of the year with 99% fewer hassles and problems and no more upgrade worries.
Revenue mgmt has defeated you! Where's my star wars "chosen one" gifs when I need them...
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Dog Woof Million Mile Member
I made it with 166 miles to spare! (100,166) But my PQD was over $15K.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, Alaska 75K, Marriott Premier Plat
First time making 1K this year:

PQM: 102,201
PQD: $12,022

The last 2,000 PQM was from my 4 hour trip to San Diego on Friday to push that PQD over the line

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.