Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

got ejected from my exit aisle seat(777) because arm has a quarter-size bruise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

got ejected from my exit aisle seat(777) because arm has a quarter-size bruise

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by MrWilliamston
actually time in the air was about 5 and half, so it's not the end of the world. millions of people fly in middle seats every single day and walked off the flights alive...

I don't blame my parents for whatever genes they gave me to cause me to be this tall... but when I'm choosing airline seats, I do wish that I was shorter, perhaps only 5'10 or less?
-----------
You're really being too kind here. Stop defending this FA's idiotic behavior and e-mail (nicely) a complaint.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
-----------
You're really being too kind here. Stop defending this FA's idiotic behavior and e-mail (nicely) a complaint.
Even if it's not the end of the world, what the FA did to the OP was wrong. Please file a complaint and escalate as necessary.
iluv2fly and ESPECIALROB like this.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 7:50 pm

Was it here (or on TA) that someone was questioning why someone that was in a scooter and had priority boarding was allowed to sit in an exit row seat. It was found that he should not have been in the seat during takeoff and landing but was allowed to sit there during the flight because there was less chance of an emergency. Not that it matters, but I totally disagree with this.....

And I also disagree that someone that has a bruise the size of a quarter on their arm is taken out of their seat, that they booked quite awhile ahead of time, and put in a middle seat - even if the FA did not seat a friend of theirs. Just should not have happened.

And just such a sad, sad state of affairs that he is unable to even say anything for fear of "sounding threatening" or "making the FA feel uncomfortable" and being kicked off the flight.

I think this is just disgusting and I do not think it should be ignored. It may never stop, but at least you can say you did your best to end this type of behavior.
iluv2fly and ESPECIALROB like this.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
  • I disagree with suggestions that lying is situationally OK. It may level the playing field; I'd rather elevate decency.
  • Definitely write UA; whether you include DOT or not is up to you.
  • Consider this not an opportunity to go after the rogue FA, but rather to clarify policy and point out that it had the appearances of favors extended to a non-rev at the expense of a loyal UA customer.
  • No need to ask for anything but a better, more consistent airline that you're happy to fly. If they want to throw something your way, great.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It doesn't, but you are unfortunately required to follow cremember instructions even when they've flagrantly abusive. Your only recourse is to lodge a complaint after the fact.
Actually, I would not have followed this crew member instruction at all, and would have called her out on it right in her face and demanded the purser and a gate supervisor. If I was forced out by the purser and the supervisor, and I found non revs in the seat, I would have taken their photo with my phone to document it and told them to their face I would be writing to my United regional sales manager and would be pushing to have their privileges suspended and their "buddy FA" disciplined.

I hope the OP writes in and receives significant compensation, but more important, I hope the FA is severely disciplined and the NRSAs in question have their flight privileges suspended.

The OP was far more easy going than I would have been in this case. Threads like this just make my blood boil

Last edited by bocastephen; Aug 27, 2017 at 8:06 pm
Old Aug 27, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Actually, I would not have followed this crew member instruction at all, and would have called her out on it right in her face and demanded the purser and a gate supervisor.
+1

Totally outrageous. I would not have moved and got my camera out...
ESPECIALROB and Kevin AA like this.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Bear96
Something sounds off in the original post. I would be interested in hearing the other side of the story.
But chances are you won't get the other side of the story.

So perhaps instead of just posting some subtle drive-by accusation against the OP you could ask him to clarify the part that bothers you (the "something").
Old Aug 27, 2017, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by MrWilliamston
Yeah... I wasn't "surprised" so I just complied. I didn't have to pay for the E+ exit because of my status. But what if I paid to sit in the E+ seat? Was the flight attendant going to refund me my money? IIRC, for that flight, it's at least $200 for the E+ seat.

I'm sure if I contact UA, they'll just throw some free miles(5000 or 10,000?) into my account, plus a canned response. Oh well, it's not like I got beat up by the flight attendant and had my teeth knocked out... so I guess ranting here is the best therapy to help me forget the incident. Going to a bar with my co-workers later today, so I'll get some extra rum(double, triple?) in my frozen pina coladas.
Drinking is not the solution to your problem (well, short term it is ). What you should do is say "no". Getting the Captain at least gives you a fighting chance.

The reason UA flight attendants continue to abuse their customers is because the customers let them.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Please write United and report this flight attendant. I hope you have her name and I hope she gets fired. No room for someone who acts like that in an airline or any customer service focused industry.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by sincx
If you really want to get even, file a small claims lawsuit against a "Jane Doe" and then subpoena United for the flight attendant's contact information, then serve her. If United won't discipline these lying employees, maybe the thread of court action will.
I hope your recommendation of suing the FA directly was a joke. We both agree that the FA actions were wrong (assuming OPs story is accurate, which I no reason to doubt). If passengers start suing FAs directly, the already poor customer service provided by many legacy carriers will drop to a new low, if they think they are under threat of a lawsuit. APFA would start sending notices to FAs scary them that they may be sued.

Also, I am not a lawyer, but I do not think small claims court would entertain a "John Doe" lawsuit. I think that you were be referred to the "real" court. Also, I think not think a court would enforcing internal policies of a company.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: 3 MMer
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Actually, I would not have followed this crew member instruction at all, and would have called her out on it right in her face and demanded the purser and a gate supervisor. If I was forced out by the purser and the supervisor, and I found non revs in the seat, I would have taken their photo with my phone to document it and told them to their face I would be writing to my United regional sales manager and would be pushing to have their privileges suspended and their "buddy FA" disciplined.

I hope the OP writes in and receives significant compensation, but more important, I hope the FA is severely disciplined and the NRSAs in question have their flight privileges suspended.

The OP was far more easy going than I would have been in this case. Threads like this just make my blood boil
I agree 100% with this post! Moving me for the bogus reason hatched by the FA wouldn't have happened to this 1K - 3MMer --- PERIOD!

I'd call her bluff, and anyone else that showed up to move/remove me. I can pretty much assure ya'all that they would blink, and no matter what the outcome was, I'd still be doing some letter writing.

I mostly book my flights 9 to 10 months out, and any "Johnny Come Lately" that contrives a story to steal the seat I chose back then is gonna pay, and I definitely wouldn't be as passive as the OP is now!

I would be fuming in an E- seat, and when we landed a super would be looking at my bruise very closely, and informed what happened prior to me leaving that gate area!
ESPECIALROB and Kevin AA like this.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
"Please issue me a new boarding pass showing my downgraded seat, so I can include it as evidence with my formal complaint."
Please issue me a new boarding pass, FROM YOUR SYSTEM, showing my downgraded seat, so I can included it as evidence with my formal complaint and evidence of who was placed in that seat.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 10:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Terrible customer service attitude by the stewardess but that's the standards now day's of the type of people the airliners and unions are recruiting...if you don't like it, don't fly attitude.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:07 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
File a complaint. If I was asked to do this, and a FA tried to push me on it, I'd ask the gate agent to deboard me and rebook. I had a FA try to get me to move to a forward facing aisle, when I prefer rear facing windows, to sit a couple, who had upgraded, together. I told him no, flatly. If he had pushed, I'd have demanded they put me on AF to CDG.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:13 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by N1120A
File a complaint. If I was asked to do this, and a FA tried to push me on it, I'd ask the gate agent to deboard me and rebook. I had a FA try to get me to move to a forward facing aisle, when I prefer rear facing windows, to sit a couple, who had upgraded, together. I told him no, flatly. If he had pushed, I'd have demanded they put me on AF to CDG.
.....but AF doesn't have any rear facing seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.