Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

got ejected from my exit aisle seat(777) because arm has a quarter-size bruise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

got ejected from my exit aisle seat(777) because arm has a quarter-size bruise

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2017, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
I saw that work beautifully the other day. Just before the door was closed, a FA goes to a passenger and says "I'm sorry, but we're oversold in First, and you were the last passenger upgraded. I'm going to have to ask you to move to any available seat in Economy." The passenger replies, "Happy to - as soon as I get my new boarding pass."

FA goes to the nose of the aircraft, and a few seconds later another uniformed FA comes down the aisle, gives the passenger a dirty look, and plops herself down in coach.
I hope you reported this. IMO those two deserve to be fired. They attempted to steal (company services/company merchandise) from one of their employer's best customers.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I hope you reported this. IMO those two deserve to be fired. They attempted to steal (company services/company merchandise) from one of their employer's best customers.
I think it's unlikely anyone would be reprimanded, much less fired. FAs working Dr. Dao flight are probably still employed, and this is quite minor by comparison.

Got to treat UA staff as a possible adversary and look out for number one.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I saw that work beautifully the other day. Just before the door was closed, a FA goes to a passenger and says "I'm sorry, but we're oversold in First, and you were the last passenger upgraded. I'm going to have to ask you to move to any available seat in Economy." The passenger replies, "Happy to - as soon as I get my new boarding pass."

FA goes to the nose of the aircraft, and a few seconds later another uniformed FA comes down the aisle, gives the passenger a dirty look, and plops herself down in coach.
The first clue that the downgrade order is not legit is when it comes from the FA. I'm glad that passenger stood their ground, and I hope they report the incident to UA, as well.
Kevin AA likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by br2k
I think it's unlikely anyone would be reprimanded, much less fired. FAs working Dr. Dao flight are probably still employed, and this is quite minor by comparison.

Got to treat UA staff as a possible adversary and look out for number one.
Thse working Dao's flight were following the procedures in place at the time. They also were not the ones who roughed Dao up. Those responsible were employees of the city of Chicago.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by freshairborne
I am a fairly high seniority employee, with 31 years minus one week. That said, I buy tickets about 6-8 times per year, virtually every time I travel with my wife. The only time I will ever be dimed out as an employee, non-rev or full-fare, is if one of the F/As recognizes me. I don't talk shop, I don't wear my ID, I don't have any airline bag tags. None of you would know who I am, unless I'm deadheading in uniform.

FAB
congratulations on being an excellent role model. Not quite sure of the point you were making it n regard to this thread; I used to follow the rules when I was non-rev too. Well done you and me
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by MrWilliamston
I don't think there's really a reason for me to write a complaint to UA. What would be the benefit for me if my complaint cause the FA to be disciplined or worse, lose her job? It's not like she threatened me personally or dragged me out of my seat physically. I believe in karma and maybe she'll get what she deserves some other day. I don't wish to be the cause of her losing her job. What if she has three little kids to feed at home or something? I think ranting about it here is as far as I'll go.
The FA will never get what she deserves if every victim of hers cowers and lets her push them around.

That's great that the FA didn't threaten you or drag you out of your seat. So the FA doesn't get criminal charges. Back to the real story now...

Do lazy, jaded, and anti-customer attitudes take the back burner to having three kids to take care of? This is United Airlines, not Welfare Airlines. Single employees must be customer-focused but those with three kids can do whatever they want? What an odd type of "logic" you have there...
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
congratulations on being an excellent role model. Not quite sure of the point you were making it n regard to this thread; I used to follow the rules when I was non-rev too. Well done you and me
A few posters upthread alluded to this person being booted from the exit row so the FAs friends could sit there. Savvy FTers apparently know how to identify all non-revs, something that I can't even do. My point is that not everyone that might be a non-rev actually is. For instance, I'm an employee but rarely a non-rev sitting in the cabin. I'm usually on a paid ticket or sitting in the cockpit jumpseat. The times that I am in a cabin seat on a non-rev ticket, I'm invisible.

FAB
atword likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:19 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
A few posters upthread alluded to this person being booted from the exit row so the FAs friends could sit there. Savvy FTers apparently know how to identify all non-revs, something that I can't even do. My point is that not everyone that might be a non-rev actually is. For instance, I'm an employee but rarely a non-rev sitting in the cabin. I'm usually on a paid ticket or sitting in the cockpit jumpseat. The times that I am in a cabin seat on a non-rev ticket, I'm invisible.

FAB
Cool. Since there was no reference in your post I didn't know what it was that you were referring to.

As a non-rev I was once seated between to elderly (fare paying) womenon a 10 hour flight. They were gorgeous, however the IFE in our row wasn't working, and they insisted that I, being the gentleman, should be the one who complained to the FA. I was clearly invisible (to coin a phrase), it put me in a very difficult position. I couldn't tell them that I was non-rev, nor could I easily make a complaint.

Non-rev travel sucks, imho. I'd prefer to pay for a J seat than fly non-rev.

I can pick a dead-header, staff traveller or non-rev in an instant. Good for you if no-one can tell.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I am a fairly high seniority employee, with 31 years minus one week. That said, I buy tickets about 6-8 times per year, virtually every time I travel with my wife. The only time I will ever be dimed out as an employee, non-rev or full-fare, is if one of the F/As recognizes me. I don't talk shop, I don't wear my ID, I don't have any airline bag tags. None of you would know who I am, unless I'm deadheading in uniform.

FAB
Hey FAB.

I am sure you, and many others, are absolutely unidentifiable when flying non-rev. I don't think many (any?) FTers claim they can identify every non-rev passenger.

But there are some non-revs that are not nearly as incognito and are quite easy to figure out. They are also the ones that seem to cause the issues.

And wow, didn't realize you had 31 years. That is a lot of time on the planes. Thanks for participating here and sharing your perspective. I appreciate it a lot.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by docbert
FA's have the right to move a passenger out of an exit row seat for safety reasons, and given that this can happen after the door has been closed (or even potentially whilst in flight) I'd be fairly sure there is no need for them to issue a new boarding pass when doing do...
What's their leverage up in the air when you play the safety card too? The offloading game doesn't work anymore, once the wheels are up.
If it was a serious issue, sure, they'd get the purser or first officer repeat it to you ...
To the "I would have fought her" folks: if a FA is willing to make up a bruise rule, what makes you think she would be unwilling to make up another reason...
Hence the microphone and if possible the cam come on, the moment I smell conflict.

People making up assault, threat and harassment stories while in a densely populated public space these days must be pretty criminally careless. Unfortunately, this isn't out of reach for an FA.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by MrWilliamston
I don't think there's really a reason for me to write a complaint to UA. What would be the benefit for me if my complaint cause the FA to be disciplined or worse, lose her job? It's not like she threatened me personally or dragged me out of my seat physically. I believe in karma and maybe she'll get what she deserves some other day. I don't wish to be the cause of her losing her job. What if she has three little kids to feed at home or something? I think ranting about it here is as far as I'll go.
Perhaps this scenario is the result of her previous accumulation of bad karma. You need to report her to make the karmic cycle work. @:-)
Kevin AA likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Cool. Since there was no reference in your post I didn't know what it was that you were referring to.

As a non-rev I was once seated between to elderly (fare paying) womenon a 10 hour flight. They were gorgeous, however the IFE in our row wasn't working, and they insisted that I, being the gentleman, should be the one who complained to the FA. I was clearly invisible (to coin a phrase), it put me in a very difficult position. I couldn't tell them that I was non-rev, nor could I easily make a complaint.

Non-rev travel sucks, imho. I'd prefer to pay for a J seat than fly non-rev.

I can pick a dead-header, staff traveller or non-rev in an instant. Good for you if no-one can tell.
A non-rev can't notify the FA that the IFE in our row is not working? ("our" meaning me and these two fare-paying passengers who asked me to speak up)
Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
A non-rev can't notify the FA that the IFE in our row is not working? ("our" meaning me and these two fare-paying passengers who asked me to speak up)
I would think they most certainly could, and probably should - in fact, any employee on the flight who notices a paying customer, including themselves if on a paid ticket, is being inconvenienced by something not working, should bring it up to the crew on their own accord.
Kevin AA likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll admit that my non-rev-dar is effectively nonexistent. If a passenger is in uniform with a lanyard badge, I suppose he or she might be an employee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.