Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 26, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread.
The active thread is What Route(s) do you wish UA Flew?
Thanks, United forum Moderators.
Print Wikipost

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
In flying out to Maui on a 77W, I do wonder why the East Coast can’t get either EWR-OGG or IAD-OGG. If they can fly a widebody plane there from multiple locations, I would have to think that there should be demand to fill a 763/764 from there (I assume an HD 772 doesn’t work due to length restrictions). It would also give a direct redeye with early-morning arrival, instead of having to leave early to make the HNL flight (via a short OGG-HNL hop) or getting in midday or later by flying the redeye to one of the other hubs.
A 772 and a 763 both use almost the entire 7,000ft runway to take off to the west coast, I would assume that it would have a hard time making it to the east coast without weight restrictions. Although happy to be proven wrong after looking at performance data.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
In flying out to Maui on a 77W, I do wonder why the East Coast can’t get either EWR-OGG or IAD-OGG. If they can fly a widebody plane there from multiple locations, I would have to think that there should be demand to fill a 763/764 from there (I assume an HD 772 doesn’t work due to length restrictions). It would also give a direct redeye with early-morning arrival, instead of having to leave early to make the HNL flight (via a short OGG-HNL hop) or getting in midday or later by flying the redeye to one of the other hubs.
Pretty sure it's just relative demand to HNL versus OGG. I forget if even IAD-HNL is daily (don't think it is, it certainly hasn't always been), and HNL pretty clearly has more demand than OGG. They might be more interested if they could get a non-premium aircraft on the route, but the 77Gs can't make it from the East Coast since they are all on 77A (non-ER) equipment. I'm not 100% sure on a 763 making it off of the runway, but a fully loaded 77G can fly OGG-ORD so I would bet it's more about using the 767s elsewhere.
Old May 22, 2019, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by findark
Pretty sure it's just relative demand to HNL versus OGG. I forget if even IAD-HNL is daily (don't think it is, it certainly hasn't always been), and HNL pretty clearly has more demand than OGG. They might be more interested if they could get a non-premium aircraft on the route, but the 77Gs can't make it from the East Coast since they are all on 77A (non-ER) equipment. I'm not 100% sure on a 763 making it off of the runway, but a fully loaded 77G can fly OGG-ORD so I would bet it's more about using the 767s elsewhere.
That’s probably the case, but since they fly 77G from ORD, IAH, DEN and 1x SFO (combined with the multiple frequencies from both SFO and LAX on narrowbodies), I have to believe the demand is there to fill the seats up front. I would argue that during TATL offseason, you could make more money upfront to OGG than to some European destinations.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
When are we getting the long-coveted DEN-AMS?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:26 pm

UA is flying a bunch of one-off nonstop routes for college football season. The PR is here, but the flights are:

EUG-DFW
BTR-AUS
BHM-CAE
SBN-ATL
CMH-LNK
BHM-CLL
LAX-SBN
MSN-CMH
SBN-RDU

Given that it doesn't seem centralized around one school (I see Alabama, Notre Dame, and Ohio State getting more than 1 game), I wonder if these schools paid up a little to subsidize the routes on a one-off basis, or if it's indicative of UA executives showing some love for their college.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
I wonder if these schools paid up a little to subsidize the routes on a one-off basis, or if it's indicative of UA executives showing some love for their college.
Neither. Airlines have spare capacity, especially around weekends, so they're happy to fly these routes and charge above average rates, given the passion shown by alums.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA MM
UA is flying a bunch of one-off nonstop routes for college football season. The PR is here, but the flights are:

EUG-DFW
BTR-AUS
BHM-CAE
SBN-ATL
CMH-LNK
BHM-CLL
LAX-SBN
MSN-CMH
SBN-RDU

Given that it doesn't seem centralized around one school (I see Alabama, Notre Dame, and Ohio State getting more than 1 game), I wonder if these schools paid up a little to subsidize the routes on a one-off basis, or if it's indicative of UA executives showing some love for their college.
I can't imagine anyone is subsidizing these flights. It's well known which schools' fans travel well and I'm sure United knows this as well.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I can't imagine anyone is subsidizing these flights. It's well known which schools' fans travel well and I'm sure United knows this as well.
Didn’t know traveling BHM-CAE on an E145 was ‘traveling well’
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Imagine a State school subsidizing an airline. Probably grounds for immediate impeachment of the Governor
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Back on topic, I wish UA flew:

LNK-MBS
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Due to the ongoing trade US-China rift Vietnam sees increasing business activities with U.S. companies. Wondering if this might further plans to launch SFO-SGN.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure where exactly this goes, so I'll put it here.

RoutesOnline just posted a Qantas service expansion: Brisbane to SFO (3x weekly) and Brisbane to Chicago (!) (4x weekly).

I can't imagine that there's room for two BNE-ORD flights -- unless maybe UA wants to do the other three days or something -- so that probably kills the short-term chances for UA Australia travel from ORD. I wouldn't be surprised to see UA add SFO-BNE as a response, though.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by jsloan

RoutesOnline just posted a Qantas service expansion: Brisbane to SFO (3x weekly) and Brisbane to Chicago (!) (4x weekly).

I can't imagine that there's room for two BNE-ORD flights -- unless maybe UA wants to do the other three days or something -- so that probably kills the short-term chances for UA Australia travel from ORD. I wouldn't be surprised to see UA add SFO-BNE as a response, though.
ORD-BNE is 8901 miles according to GCM...have to imagine Qantas is going with whatever configuration they use on PER-LHR. I can’t imagine UA’s 789 have that range.

ORD-SYD is 9200 miles, so forget that. ORD-AKL is doable (8184 miles), but I think NZ already covers that route.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan

With the approved QF/AA JV, they promised to add at least three new routes within two years. These are the first two, even though the SFO flight is really just a shift of 3x weekly flights from LAX. I wouldn't be surprised for the last one to be SYD-SEA or MEL-DFW (long, but shorter than PER-LHR). Both SYD/MEL-LAX are 9x weekly and QF could simultaneously reduce one of those to daily while adding another 3x/4x weekly flight to add a new route without adding too much capacity.

With SFO-MEL only being 3x weekly and MEL having higher demand than BNE, something that would be interesting would be bumping SFO-MEL to 4x weekly and adding 3x weekly SFO-BNE to give double daily service to Australia. However, LAX-BNE is a larger market than SFO-BNE and UA has LAX as their primary Australia gateway, so LAX-BNE is probably more likely than SFO-BNE.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Due to the ongoing trade US-China rift Vietnam sees increasing business activities with U.S. companies. Wondering if this might further plans to launch SFO-SGN.
LAX-SGN is a much bigger market than SFO-SGN. United can split into 3-4 weekly from both hubs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.