Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 26, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread.
The active thread is What Route(s) do you wish UA Flew?
Thanks, United forum Moderators.
Print Wikipost

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

Out of curiosity - the fact that LH owns OS / LX / SN has no impact on the JV with LH specifically?
OS/LX/SN are part of that JV as well, yes. https://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/co...-ventures.html
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
I would have thought so, considering that GUM was widely believed to be the most profitable of pmCO's hubs. However, UA has made so many cuts to GUM service that it's hard to see them adding that route. They won't cut GUM-HNL, as that's a huge O&D market on its own, and I don't know if they have enough mainland-bound passengers to make use of both an HNL and SFO flight.
Oscar was on GUM a few months ago and gave the formula needed in order for any non stop service to commence between GUM and CONUS:

https://www.postguam.com/business/un...7df2c3d28.html
Direct Guam-mainland flights uncertain

Guam's lack of direct air service to and from the U.S. mainland also will be unchanged for a while. The passenger volume and revenues required to sustain these direct flights are not adding up for Guam just yet, he said.

Such a long-haul flight will cost a lot of fuel and a lot of business-class travelers to help make the numbers work, he said, and Guam doesn't have the right volume of business travelers to sustain direct service to the mainland.

Guam would need to fill 250 to 300 seats three times a week, through a sustained period, for the airline to consider the route viable.

"I'm not gonna say never," he said of the direct Guam-U.S. mainland flights.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Joint Venture with Lufthansa. United won't want to push traffic to VIE / OS.
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

Out of curiosity - the fact that LH owns OS / LX / SN has no impact on the JV with LH specifically?
Originally Posted by LXFlyer
OS/LX/SN are part of that JV as well, yes. https://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/co...-ventures.html
Thanks for that, LXFlyer. I didn't realize the whole LH group was part of TATL JV.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:10 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Thanks for that, LXFlyer. I didn't realize the whole LH group was part of TATL JV.
I was a bit surprised to hear that as well - otherwise I would expect to see UA selling the EWR-VIE nonstop on OS on their website (they don’t).
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
CLE—LHR

CLE-LHR

Spmeone needs to fly it at least in the summer.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The JV per se does not prevent UA (or any other JV-partner) from opening up routes within their partners network.
e.g. UA launched SFO-ZRH last year, and SFO-MUC the year before - "competing" with LX and LH respectively.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by cesco.g
The JV per se does not prevent UA (or any other JV-partner) from opening up routes within their partners network.
e.g. UA launched SFO-ZRH last year, and SFO-MUC the year before - "competing" with LX and LH respectively.
These *A carriers don't really compete with each other from what I can tell. Case in point: AC sells business class YYZ-TLV for maybe half of what they offer it for CLE-TLV with that 35 minutes flight from CLE-TLV tacked on. It also happens to be about the same fare as UA will give you for CLE-TLV via EWR.

Frankly, if the government looked closely at these things they might find some disturbing trends.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Frankly, if the government looked closely at these things they might find some disturbing trends.
No, they wouldn't, because they've immunized the AC/LH/SN/OS/UA TATL JV, which is why the fares are the same.

Even if they didn't -- airlines match each others' prices regularly. It's legal to match the price that someone else is charging; it's illegal to discuss that price with them in advance, before setting it (except where you have anti-trust immunity).
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
No, they wouldn't, because they've immunized the AC/LH/SN/OS/UA TATL JV

Even if they didn't -- airlines match each others' prices regularly. It's legal to match the price that someone else is charging; it's illegal to discuss that price with them in advance, before setting it (except where you have anti-trust immunity).
TATL JV includes LX

In the case of LX, fares ex-ZRH on tickets typical business pax book are 50% + higher from pre-* days..
Officials tout fares to be lower or the same, quoting some off-season NR/NC discount coach fare, many are not able/willing to book.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TATL JV includes LX
Sorry, yes, missed that one.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
So those routes were not part of the JV? I thought all TATL service within the JV was included. Do they exclude individual flights?
I didn't think these would "compete" with LX/LH, but would be a revenue share with them?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I would love to see a flight to PER other than on QF via SYD/MEL. It astounds me that UA would rather give the revenue to a non *A partner than SQ (via SIN).
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by trust77
Such a long-haul flight will cost a lot of fuel and a lot of business-class travelers to help make the numbers work, he said, and Guam doesn't have the right volume of business travelers to sustain direct service to the mainland.
Great summary of what is needed to support an SFO TPAC route. And the same reason BKK doesn't/won't have one.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:25 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by east_west
Great summary of what is needed to support an SFO TPAC route. And the same reason BKK doesn't/won't have one.
Which always amazes me given the size of Thailand's economy and its rank in SE Asia economies. You'd think it would not just be a leisure market. Tons of business and business growth there.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by east_west
Kirby recently implied in an interview that there is a surprisingly large demand for the forward cabins from SFO leisure travelers. Simply a large concentration of wealth in Silicon Valley. SFO-AMS is a good example. Route doing well with limited corporate interest.

TPAC C fares also tend to be reasonable outside of the JV (aka collusion) sectors. I think SFO-BKK would do extremely well. If the 2nd SIN route fails, I think UA would give SFO-BKK a shot before redeploying those frames outside SE Asia. You could also make a strong case for SFO-BLR, depending on how SFO-DEL does when it launches in Dec...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.