Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 26, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread.
The active thread is What Route(s) do you wish UA Flew?
Thanks, United forum Moderators.
Print Wikipost

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1P
IAH-MSN, or IAH-MKE, for South American connections
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
The most interesting part of Kirby's interview, as it relates to new routes, was his comment on SFO:

"California, and SFO in particular, is a unique crown jewel for United - it is the best gateway across the Pacific because of geography. It's in the right place to connect the whole country to Asia. And it's also the biggest local market with lots of premium demand. Turns out that even our flights to Europe, with less geographic advantage, do well for us from SFO due to a large, high-income customer base full of people with a high propensity to travel. Every new route that we add works—recently Tahiti, Europe, Amsterdam. India and Melbourne start later this year. We just keep growing here and it all does very well. SFO is a unique asset for United"

Based on this, I wish he would pull the trigger on SFO-BKK. They are spraying new SFO routes into the vicinity of BKK -- SIN #1 , SIN #2 , DEL It's such a PIA to get there via HKG, TPE or NRT. SIN and DEL overshoot Thailand, so they're no better.
He's right on most of those points but not the "right place to connect the whole country to Asia".

The entire eastern half of the USA is better connected through ORD or maybe even EWR as those are polar routes. O'Hare is only about 850 miles farther from Hong Kong than San Francisco. Does anyone want to fly an extra 1500 miles or more to SFO just to shave off 850 miles?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
The entire eastern half of the USA is better connected through ORD or maybe even EWR as those are polar routes. O'Hare is only about 850 miles farther from Hong Kong than San Francisco. Does anyone want to fly an extra 1500 miles or more to SFO just to shave off 850 miles?
I think what he's saying (without saying it) is there is a surprisingly large demand for the forward cabins from SFO leisure travelers. That's what allows these ULH routes to be profitable. Not sure you would get that from ORD. SFO-AMS is a good example. Route doing well with very limited corporate interest for SFO-AMS.

BTW, does someone know the smallest UA frame that can reach BKK from SFO? Thx!
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW, does someone know the smallest UA frame that can reach BKK from SFO? Thx!
SFO-BKK is only about 500 miles shorter than SFO-SIN. I think it would take a 787-9; I don't think the 787-8 would make it.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by Air Houston
IAH-MBS please
I always thought it was CRIMINAL UA could not capture the business from the really big chemical company that is located near MBS. I thought for sure post merger UA really missed the boat once the 3rd party charters contract was up to begin some sort of IAH service for MBS, but the chem company found more value in purchasing 2 CRJ700's and running the route themselves, rather then making their employees sit in a CRJ200 via ORD.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Turns out that even our flights to Europe, with less geographic advantage, do well for us from SFO due to a large, high-income customer base full of people with a high propensity to travel. Every new route that we add works—recently Tahiti, Europe, Amsterdam.
Curious, if/what other EU destinations might be looked into. With the recent additions of AMS (this year), ZRH (last year), and MUC (the year before, soon going year-round):
Maybe BRU? or MIL? ...... ?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: UR, United MP, AAdvantage
Neither here nor there but I'm curious if anyone has any insights regarding a possible SFO-GRU or SFO-GIG at some point. Substantial Brazilian population in the Bay Area and I would think a decent enough amount of business travel. I know the AA LAX-GRU is an easy connection from SFO. Just curious if anyone thinks SFO-GRU makes sense/might be coming at some point. Asking selfishly as my wife is from smaller Brazilian city and connecting on both continents is a royal pain.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 12, 2019 at 4:53 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: united
Ont-ord, ont-ewr
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Curious, if/what other EU destinations might be looked into. With the recent additions of AMS (this year), ZRH (last year), and MUC (the year before, soon going year-round):
Maybe BRU? or MIL? ...... ?
I’d be interested in seeing something like SFO-Scandinavia (CPH or ARN), but given how much UA cut back on those routes ex-EWR, I doubt that there’s enough demand to make it work from the West Coast.

I agree that UA may as well take a flyer on SFO-BKK as a seasonal route and see what happens. There aren’t really any other obvious routes that I think UA should try...maybe SFO-BNE? Perhaps another SFO-India route if SFO-DEL does well (if the geography/routing works)? Does SFO-GUM on any kind of frequency make sense at all? UA is taking in more 789s coming up, and I don’t think they have to retire all of their old 767s / 777s such that this will simply be fleet update/replacement purchases.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Does SFO-GUM on any kind of frequency make sense at all?
I would have thought so, considering that GUM was widely believed to be the most profitable of pmCO's hubs. However, UA has made so many cuts to GUM service that it's hard to see them adding that route. They won't cut GUM-HNL, as that's a huge O&D market on its own, and I don't know if they have enough mainland-bound passengers to make use of both an HNL and SFO flight.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still surprised that UA never touched VIE, given that is a OS/Star hub, with good connections into Eastern EU.
Maybe LHs connections from FRA & MUC to Eastern EU are sufficient for UA.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Still surprised that UA never touched VIE, given that is a OS/Star hub, with good connections into Eastern EU.
Maybe LHs connections from FRA & MUC to Eastern EU are sufficient for UA.
Joint Venture with Lufthansa. United won't want to push traffic to VIE / OS.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Joint Venture with Lufthansa. United won't want to push traffic to VIE / OS.
Out of curiosity - the fact that LH owns OS / LX / SN has no impact on the JV with LH specifically?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
PDX-LAX!
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:02 pm

Cleveland to San Diego

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.