Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 26, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread.
The active thread is What Route(s) do you wish UA Flew?
Thanks, United forum Moderators.
Print Wikipost

What Route(s) do You Wish UA Flew? [Archive thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by eric.chen3742
I kind of want non-AC options for SFO-YYZ, given how AC does landings these days.
This. It still amazes me that UA is completely absent even though AC flies multiple times per day.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Seeing UIN (Quincy, IL) <> CGI (Cape Girardeau, MO) as a new planned spoke-spoke route in this month's Hemispheres magazine...any idea what the inspiration for this would be?
Apparently the carrier refused to bid for UIN-ORD and CGI-ORD unless they were allowed to fly it as a triangle. I believe each city gets one nonstop pair and one one-stop pair each day, although it may have half that on the weekends. (i.e., they'll fly ORD-UIN-CGI-ORD and ORD-CGI-UIN-ORD each once per day).

They are actually selling the UIN-CGI nonstop flight, though, for anyone who happens to need that route.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott
I would love CMH to SFO so I could have much better 1 stop options to Asia on United metal. when Southwest started CMH to OAK a few years ago, I assumed that a United flight to SFO is no longer viable, but can hope. CMH to LAX would be nice too, but I can at least buy on Delta to LAX and separate on UAL if need be.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by warrenw
Also, maybe I'm biased, but they have no east coast - ICN options. An IAD/EWR/ORD-ICN would be fantastic.
I agree. 1x 789 service to ICN is ridiculous. ICN-USA is the first or second largest TPAC market, and UA is partners with Asiana.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DA201
I agree. 1x 789 service to ICN is ridiculous. ICN-USA is the first or second largest TPAC market, and UA is partners with Asiana.
Does UA need to add more capacity to USA-ICN?

JFK-ICN = KE 2 x A380 OZ 1 x A380
IAH-ICN = 0
DEN-ICN = 0
DFW-ICN = AA 1 x 787
ORD-ICN = KE 1 x 777
LAX-ICN = SQ 1 x 777 OZ 2 x A380 KE 2 x A380
SFO-ICN = UA 1 x 787 OZ 1 x A350 KE 2 x 777
SEA-ICN = DL 1 x 767 OZ 1 x 777 KE 1 x 777
DTW-ICN = DL 1 x A350
ATL-ICN = DL 1 x A350 KE 1 x 777
LAS-ICN = KE 1 x 777
HNL-ICN = KE 1 x 747 OZ 1 x 777 LJ 1 x 777
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
One of the nice things about UA (for all its faults) is that they have Wi-Fi on all their planes. Admittedly, it does not work 100% all the time, but that's one reason why I don't really consider OZ when looking at longhaul TPAC routing...their planes don't have Wi-Fi, and from what I have read, their IFE isn't all that great either.

That doesn't really make a difference from a capacity standpoint above, but it would certainly be nicer to have an EWR-ICN route to consider instead. Not sure it could support a 772/77W capacity though (no 789s given the current basing of the Dreamliners).
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by JVPhoto

IAH-ICN = 0
DEN-ICN = 0
DFW-ICN = AA 1 x 787
ORD-ICN = KE 1 x 777
DTW-ICN = DL 1 x A350
LAS-ICN = KE 1 x 777
Some corrections:
JFK-ICN KE 1x 388 1x 748, OZ just downgauged to a 772 for the winter
ORD-ICN sees OZ 1x 772 5x weekly as well
and KE is less than daily (5x weekly?) on SEA-ICN

A case could be made that there really aren't that many East Coast - ICN options, and OZ/*A seems to be struggling in particular... EWR-ICN might be plausible seeing how OZ just went from an A380 (12F/66C/417Y) to 772 (24C/277Y); pretty huge cut in premium capacity into NY there...

Last edited by truncated; Nov 5, 2017 at 12:48 pm
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by truncated
Some corrections:
JFK-ICN KE 1x 388 1x 748, OZ just downgauged to a 772 for the winter
ORD-ICN sees OZ 1x 772 5x weekly as well
and KE is less than daily (5x weekly?) on SEA-ICN

A case could be made that there really aren't that many East Coast - ICN options, and OZ/*A seems to be struggling in particular...
I was looking at dates in April for flights to EU and just plugged in ICN. I didn't look at daily vs not but that's what April was showing for aircraft.

Forgot to list IAD-ICN KE 1 x 777
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I thought the most telling thing about UA service to ICN was that they really struggled to fill the 747s on SFO-ICN.

IAH-ICN = 0
DEN-ICN = 0
And IAD, not even enough of a city to end up on this list
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
HAN, SGN, ULN, and BKK

I can dream, right?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by findark
I thought the most telling thing about UA service to ICN was that they really struggled to fill the 747s on SFO-ICN.

And IAD, not even enough of a city to end up on this list
They can't? I fly the route ~6 times a year and it's almost always full. I will caveat that to say that I'm usually flying out of ICN thurs/fri timeframe which is heavy biz travel, but even still it either goes out full or nearly full. And when people say it's an easy GPU to clear, well yes if you're flying on like a Tuesday.........

Originally Posted by DA201
I agree especially since UA has the ICN-SFO route and has to support all the gov pax going to Korea. Yes, there is a lot of competition from KE and OZ especially to the west coast, but O/D pax alone could fill the plane not to mention connecting pax.

IAH-ICN = 0
DEN-ICN = 0
DFW-ICN = AA 1 x 787
ORD-ICN = KE 1 x 777
DTW-ICN = DL 1 x A350
LAS-ICN = KE 1 x 777
I think IAD would be a good choice, as well as either EWR or ORD (EWR probably is better because NYC is a HUGE market for Korea). I wouldn't think IAH would be a good option, KAL is pulling out of IAH due to lack of pax.

It really seems that traffic is light to the east coast, which is where they could add a route. ATL has a large Korean population, maybe adding a *A flight to there would be beneficial.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold

IAH-ICN = 0
DEN-ICN = 0
DFW-ICN = AA 1 x 787
ORD-ICN = KE 1 x 777
DTW-ICN = DL 1 x A350
LAS-ICN = KE 1 x 777
If UA announced a JV with OZ tomorrow, different story. Until then, yes they need more capacity. NYC-ICN has a little over 900 PDEW. During peak season, KE/OZ offer about 1300 seats each day both ways. KE/OZ connect a good portion of their traffic (I know just from flying both of them on JFK-ICN) and are receiving little feed at JFK (maybe KE is now but they were flying 2x A380 before DL). UA has the advantage of feed at EWR to destinations alongside the east coast. Their 772 only seats 267 passengers, which would bring the total number of seats to about 1550. That would make a PDEW to seats ratio of 1:1.7, which is really low considering how much connecting traffic there is. For comparisons sake, NYC-TYO has a PDEW to seats ratio of 1:2.1.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by warrenw
They can't? I fly the route ~6 times a year and it's almost always full. I will caveat that to say that I'm usually flying out of ICN thurs/fri timeframe which is heavy biz travel, but even still it either goes out full or nearly full. And when people say it's an easy GPU to clear, well yes if you're flying on like a Tuesday..........
I'm probably guilty of making generalizations. My statement was based on looking at Aug-Sep-Oct of this year, where I found very plentiful O and IN space, as well as of course R, and I saw many flights go out ~60% full in the back. Yes, peak days were probably quite a bit more full than that - my focus was the week I took a trip to ICN, where there was ultimately open R even day of the week ICN-SFO (although we didn't fly that way), including Thursday and Friday.

However, given the downgauge to 789, I'm guessing UA might agree.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by findark
I'm probably guilty of making generalizations. My statement was based on looking at Aug-Sep-Oct of this year, where I found very plentiful O and IN space, as well as of course R, and I saw many flights go out ~60% full in the back. Yes, peak days were probably quite a bit more full than that - my focus was the week I took a trip to ICN, where there was ultimately open R even day of the week ICN-SFO (although we didn't fly that way), including Thursday and Friday.

However, given the downgauge to 789, I'm guessing UA might agree.
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just giving my experience. And I have personally never seen R space for an entire week looking into the future, but not saying it doesn't occur. I guess I wish that UA had more capacity to ICN, especially now that they've pulled out of the NRT-ICN route - it basically has dropped the number of premium seats available to me (unless I take an inconveniently timed flight to NRT). Of course giving it the 789 suggests that they consider it more of a "long and thin" route.... And suggests an east coast addition to be slim.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:34 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Originally Posted by jsloan
Apparently the carrier refused to bid for UIN-ORD and CGI-ORD unless they were allowed to fly it as a triangle. I believe each city gets one nonstop pair and one one-stop pair each day, although it may have half that on the weekends. (i.e., they'll fly ORD-UIN-CGI-ORD and ORD-CGI-UIN-ORD each once per day).

They are actually selling the UIN-CGI nonstop flight, though, for anyone who happens to need that route.
I'm a bit shocked because I heard Cape Air was going to switch their STL service to ORD...

Wow. Wonder how this will do.

Originally Posted by Mirko
Sorry guys
Didn't see the existing thread.

Anyway I find ORD-ATH, if confirmed, very interesting. Seems like the same way AA launched BCN (this year) and VCE (next year) out of O'Hare.
Very popular destinations in the summer + cruises ... without direct flights.

I also wonder if a seasonal IAH-FCO (just like IAH-MUC) could work, also given the success of new DFW-FCO service by AA this summer.
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
ORD-ATH will start next summer.
Would love to see a source on this one.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 6, 2017 at 11:54 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.