Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best *G IAD Lounge for UA flyers {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best *G IAD Lounge for UA flyers {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLAT, DL PLAT, EK SILVER
OK formal answer after my visit today: Cava for the entire SEN lounge, nothing better. As usual though, great beer selection. Food was a let down, but I prioritize good seating / ability to get work done over the better food in TK's lounge (I know I'm probably in the minority on that one!)
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by SvenB1414
OK formal answer after my visit today: Cava for the entire SEN lounge, nothing better. As usual though, great beer selection. Food was a let down, but I prioritize good seating / ability to get work done over the better food in TK's lounge (I know I'm probably in the minority on that one!)
I tried the cava , and I wasn't a fan personally. In the past if you would ask they would always open up a bottle of champagne but my last visit they only had the cava in the afternoon ( not sure if that changes later in the day)I surely hope that's not a permanent change. Actually in the afternoons the TK lounge is not that busy and the food is much better. However I typically go to both (depending on the time of my layover)
Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite for Life, AA Platinum, United Gold
UA IAD-FRA biz class and Lounges

Turkish

Turkish

Turkish

Lufthansa

Turkish
I am flying IAD-FRA on UA in biz class and I only have silver plus PriorityPass. I tried the LH lounge which was quite nice. Half empty, quiet and clean. Lots of staff working to keep it that way. Food choices includes salads, soup, sandwiches and plenty of snacks. Drinks by law or regulation cannot be self serve - there was a sign.

I then then went over to the Turkish lounge and it was quite crowded and the food was excellent. Lamb stew with rice, hummus, soup and more. I got in via my biz class ticket. PriorityPass was restricted till 4pm.

I did not try any wine or other alcoholic drinks.

I am now now going to wait for my flight in the UA lounge, “shudder”.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:00 pm
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
I don't see much mention of time of day; I believe the TK lounge opens at 6 while the LH lounge does not open until 8.
I've had breakfast there a few times before a domestic UA flight; I love the idea that UA has to pay even though I have no club membership. Anyone know how much?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gre
I don't see much mention of time of day; I believe the TK lounge opens at 6 while the LH lounge does not open until 8.
I've had breakfast there a few times before a domestic UA flight; I love the idea that UA has to pay even though I have no club membership. Anyone know how much?
I believe I've seen a figure in the range of $20. But given how much partners pay each other for award space, I would not be surprised if it's much less than that.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Recent experience at Turkish . . . generally I like the lounge and prefer it other things equal to LH. However, don't arrive around 11am. That's when they switch out the breakfast for lunch. But it takes some time, which meant my arrival at 11 and necessary departure at 11:30 meant a very hurried dine and dash.

What's more, because they're busy setting up lunch, the bar service was hard to find (i.e., not there).
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I tried the cava , and I wasn't a fan personally. In the past if you would ask they would always open up a bottle of champagne but my last visit they only had the cava in the afternoon ( not sure if that changes later in the day)I surely hope that's not a permanent change. Actually in the afternoons the TK lounge is not that busy and the food is much better. However I typically go to both (depending on the time of my layover)
The cava in LH Sen and Business is usually Anna Cordonieu, which is not bad in my opinion, but not champagne. They have real champagne but it is only for those flying LH F (the cordoned off area). Occcasionally I have asked for it, but been turned down. TK had prosecco when it first opened, and though I usually ask when I am there, have not had it in a long time. They do have Myanmar beer, though, which I have not seen anywhere else.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse (in Priority Pass mode)

This has the most limited hours of all the Priority Pass-accessible IAD lounges: only from 6 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. It's also least convenient to United flights, since it's situated about as far as possible from either Aerotrain station. On the other hand, it's just up the stairs and around a corner from the underground walkway linking the main terminal and A/B, which also means it's not too bad if you need to take the main terminal shuttle to the D gates.

When we stopped in at 1 p.m. last Saturday we had the place to ourselves and therefore didn't mind the upstairs level being closed off. In addition to nuts, potato chips and cookies, they had a pasta dish and two kinds of mini sandwiches available, an upscale BLT and the turkey sandwich you see below. They also brought out a new tray of sandwiches with only a few minutes left of PP time, which pleasantly surprlsed me. The lounge also had two bottles of white and red wine apiece available for self pouring, which set it a little above the AF and TK lounges.

Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: SPG gold, Marriott Plat, *A Gold
Any lounge access on arrival?

I'll be arriving in IAD on LH F. Connecting to domestic UA in Y but on a separate ticket. I am not *G and don't have PP. I have around 4 hours between flights. Will my arriving boarding pass let me access any of the lounges (LH/Senator/First Class area or TK)?
Thanks guys!
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:11 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by thypath
I'll be arriving in IAD on LH F. Connecting to domestic UA in Y but on a separate ticket. I am not *G and don't have PP. I have around 4 hours between flights. Will my arriving boarding pass let me access any of the lounges (LH/Senator/First Class area or TK)?
Thanks guys!
Generally *A lounge access (without status) depends on departure BP, so the TK lounge or UCs is a no.
However, LH allows access based on arrival on their operated flights in First Class cabin.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 17, 2018 at 8:19 am Reason: lh link
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by gre
I agree time of day is key. Overall, I like Turkish lounge before 1-2 pm, and Lufthansa Senator lounge after 2 pm. The food overall is better at TK, but I find the crowd there is often unmanageable by 2 pm. LH has better drinks, the "better' hot food is not put out until 3 pm, and LH SEN lounge never seems to get as crowded as TK in the afternoon. TK lounge has the added benefit of opening at 6am, which allows for a good breakfast for morning UA flights and the crowds are usually light. LH lounge has direct boarding to the LH and OS flights, which is really nice. It helps that they are a close walk to each other. I use both regularly.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lotemblizej
... TK lounge has the added benefit of opening at 6am, which allows for a good breakfast for morning UA flights and the crowds are usually light. ...
Is TK actually putting out a good breakfast now at 6 am? The times I've been there before around 8 am, it was just bagels and that sort of thing.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Is TK actually putting out a good breakfast now at 6 am? The times I've been there before around 8 am, it was just bagels and that sort of thing.
I've had pretty decent breakfast offerings at TK lounge. They don't put out much hot food like they do at lunch, but I still have found it much better than the UA lounge in the C terminal.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I had the misfortune of visiting an IAD United Club a couple weeks back on a Sunday afternoon. Was crowded and miserable, just like Newark...Absolutely no seats available.
Didn't realize UCs at IAD were as bad as this.

Didn't have time to get back and forth to LH/TK, so I just went out to the terminal to wait for my flight.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by DCA writer
This has the most limited hours of all the Priority Pass-accessible IAD lounges: only from 6 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. It's also least convenient to United flights, since it's situated about as far as possible from either Aerotrain station. On the other hand, it's just up the stairs and around a corner from the underground walkway linking the main terminal and A/B, which also means it's not too bad if you need to take the main terminal shuttle to the D gates.

When we stopped in at 1 p.m. last Saturday we had the place to ourselves and therefore didn't mind the upstairs level being closed off. In addition to nuts, potato chips and cookies, they had a pasta dish and two kinds of mini sandwiches available, an upscale BLT and the turkey sandwich you see below. They also brought out a new tray of sandwiches with only a few minutes left of PP time, which pleasantly surprlsed me. The lounge also had two bottles of white and red wine apiece available for self pouring, which set it a little above the AF and TK lounges.
The VA lounge is actually pretty convenient if you are taking one of the UA regionals from A5 or lower in the morning. At 7:30 am yesterday, visiting on PP, they had a sausage egg biscuit, cereal, pastries, fruit and yogurt. They also had, in addition to one red and one white (and a fridge with beers), champagne, though I did not think to check what it was (and had I been traveling for fun and not work, might have tried). And the lounge was probably only a third full. I have not visited AF in the morning, but it is now PP in the morning and even closer to those UA regional gates. I have a hunch it is not full at that time, either, and I suspect I can get a capuchino and a pain au chocolate there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.