Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Incident w/ pro tennis player, too many carryon items/oversized bag & "aggressive GA"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Incident w/ pro tennis player, too many carryon items/oversized bag & "aggressive GA"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
Absolutely zero news value. This happens every day with every airline, no shortage of stupid, mean GAs (just as there's no shortage of helpful, good GAs).

I'd have thought that the Dao effect was over now, but I guess not....
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
-----

From the Facebook photos he had a red bag, a brown bag and a black bag (backpack?).....that's three carryons with stuff sticking out. 1K or not, you don't get three carryons (He actually says he started out with four) -- truly excessive. Gotta love it when people grouse because they can't get their way. Childish and ridiculous. ......The GA was doing her job but I guess everyone that feels they should have exceptions can post all over Facebook otherwise and claim all sorts of mishandling. "torn boarding pass"......WHERE IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE TORN - on the perforated edge. It certainly wasn't destroyed. Why now do I really doubt the boarding pass and passport were "grabbed" from him?

Walk a mile in agents' shoes, I can guarantee it's a different perspective. I'm sick of every whiner coming out of the woodwork and expecting apologies and monetary/ miles rewards for their own rudeness and tantrum throwing. Do they not know that if enough people cry "Wolf" United and all the rest will have to stop their current never-ending flow of money and miles ? Sorry the street goes both ways, there are two sides to every "story" so people need to stop believing everything they read on Facebook accounts by some overwrought tennis player who got away with murder on previous flights with too many carryon bags.
Think she actually has a backpack with her lap top and her tennis rackets in another tennis racket bag which contained a small backpack within.

The agent took everything out and counted it as 5 rackets+1 backpack+1 tennis racket bag as 7 bags.

The agent was being stupid.

I have carried my tennis rackets (not 5 but 2 at the maximum in a tennis bag) and never had issues on AA or UA before back in 2015/2016.

I just don't understand why UA need to bring these silly issues on themselves and why they insist on targeting people who are asian.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
News coming out of the states today that a Chinese pro tennis player had her tennis rackets checked in at the gate into cargo (5 rackets) and was rudely attended to.

Have UA not learned anything since the Dao incident!?!
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by wolf72
Think she actually has a backpack with her lap top and her tennis rackets in another tennis racket bag which contained a small backpack within.

The agent took everything out and counted it as 5 rackets+1 backpack+1 tennis racket bag as 7 bags.

I have carried my tennis rackets (not 5 but 2 at the maximum in a tennis bag) and never had issues on AA or UA before back in 2015/2016.

I just don't understand why UA need to bring these silly issues on themselves and why they insist on targeting people who are asian.
She?...oops sorry, I thought it was a guy in the photo.....anyway....
Think that if you want (UA bringing it on themselves and targeting Asian people) ? I don't agree. Just another case of "misunderstanding" on the part of the passenger because they managed to fly with 4 or 3 carryon bags on various other UA flights and then assume that is the case on every other UA flight into Eternity. GA's and FA's are to blame for not enforcing carryon limits. Here was a case where the GA was doing her job and doing it correctly instead of putting on blinders.

Last edited by FlyingNone; Jun 8, 2017 at 10:39 pm
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:07 pm

A quick Google search shows the typical tennis racquet is 27-29 inches in length. It would seem that any bag containing tennis racquets would exceed the allowable carry on dimensions.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by idiosyncrasy
We've all seen larger carry-on's than that in the picture being carried on planes and no one ever stopped them, including overstuffed carry-on's where FA's can't close the bin properly.
People get away with crimes all the time, too. Does that mean we should just eliminate all laws?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
I take some pity on the passenger, though it sounds like she may have handled it poorly and gone too confrontational throughout the process. Gate agents allow so many bags to skirt the limits. (I'm willing to wager my rollaboard wouldn't truly fit within the actual contraption).

United encourages high value, fragile items to be carried on (along with guitars, violins, etc ) and specifically mentions tennis racquets:

High-value, fragile and perishable items

United recommends that you do not pack high-value, fragile or perishable items in your checked baggage. United will accept such items as carry-on baggage (subject to carry-on baggage allowances) or as checked baggage (subject to checked baggage allowances). If you choose to pack high-value, fragile or perishable items in or as checked baggage in connection with travel within the United States, United is not liable for the loss of, damage to or delay in delivery of such items.

Examples of high-value, fragile or perishable items for which United is not liable (in the case of travel within the United States) or for which United's liability may be limited (in the case of most international travel) include, but are not limited to:
  • Totally unprotected items such as tennis racquets and umbrellas, either individually checked or tied/strapped to the outside of luggage
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
United encourages high value, fragile items to be carried on (alomg with guitars, violins specifically mentions tennis racquets:
All they're saying about tennis racquets is to pack them well or there's limited/no liability. They don't say you have license to carry them on and disregard size restrictions.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
All they're saying about tennis racquets is to pack them well or there's limited/no liability. They don't say you have license to carry them on and disregard size restrictions.
I understand the explicit language but there is an implication that tennis racquets are precious cargo and should therefore be carried on. But no adult tennis racquet would fit the standard carry on size limits.
As it is very close to fitting within the limits and they recognize the fragile nature, i'd let it slide 100% of the time if I were United.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I'm sympathizing with the passenger on this. Her bag is long by about 3" in the length dimension, but appears much smaller in the other dimensions. With that in mind, her bag will still fit length wise as it isn't tall enough to deal with the curvature in the back of the bin. She is a 1K, and likely never had a problem on previous flights. The photos of the GA give me the impression that cranky is her middle name. I mild ounce of common sense from the GA would seem to make sense IMO.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
That was presumably also when the first checked bag was free and overhead bins didn't fill by by Boarding Group 3. Did they even have sizers back then?
I'm not as old as you think

In 2008, Continental started charging for checked bags and I was still playing at the time.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by wolf72

Where does this so-called "observation" come from? Dr. Dao wasn't beat up because he was Asian. This woman wasn't picked on because she was Asian, and I did go through the trouble of (painfully) reading her one gigantic paragraph rant on facebook. There are a billion Asians in the world, of whom TWO have had a problem on UA lately.

I am getting tired of people pulling the race card/gender card/whatever card that suits them. Just because you got crummy customer service does not automatically mean that you were targeted in a discriminatory manner.

I replied to one of the comments on her facebook page regarding the sizer, and someone else replied to me "why are defending this racist POS" to which I replied "where's the evidence of racism?" and someone else agreed with me and wrote "I saw someone try to argue that he can take extra carry-on items because he's a veteran, and he was a white male".

Ranting about perceived racism that does not exist dilutes actual racism, and it dilutes your complaint about bad customer service. It's childish behavior unbecoming of a so-called "professional" tennis player. Professional in the athletic sense, sure, but not professional in the general sense, meaning not throwing a tantrum online and pulling the race card at the drop of a hat with NO EVIDENCE. Has it ever crossed anyone's mind that Ms. Cranky Gate Agent simply hates everyone equally?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Where does this so-called "observation" come from? Dr. Dao wasn't beat up because he was Asian. This woman wasn't picked on because she was Asian, and I did go through the trouble of (painfully) reading her one gigantic paragraph rant on facebook. There are a billion Asians in the world, of whom TWO have had a problem on UA lately.

I am getting tired of people pulling the race card/gender card/whatever card that suits them. Just because you got crummy customer service does not automatically mean that you were targeted in a discriminatory manner.

I replied to one of the comments on her facebook page regarding the sizer, and someone else replied to me "why are defending this racist POS" to which I replied "where's the evidence of racism?" and someone else agreed with me and wrote "I saw someone try to argue that he can take extra carry-on items because he's a veteran, and he was a white male".

Ranting about perceived racism that does not exist dilutes actual racism, and it dilutes your complaint about bad customer service. It's childish behavior unbecoming of a so-called "professional" tennis player. Professional in the athletic sense, sure, but not professional in the general sense, meaning not throwing a tantrum online and pulling the race card at the drop of a hat with NO EVIDENCE. Has it ever crossed anyone's mind that Ms. Cranky Gate Agent simply hates everyone equally?
I'm with UA on this. They never should have paid out Dao because the never ending drip drip drip won't stop. Soon, the people in the US are going to end up creating a culture like China where it's cheaper to kill someone in a car accident than to injure them and and that will become UAs calculation when dragging the next Dao off the plane. Not a world I want to live in, and I blame the ambulance chasers (ie Dao's of the world)
Old Jun 9, 2017, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I stood next to Laura Robson, the former world no. 25, at SFO a few months ago as she was waiting for her two tennis bags to come out of the baggage system. So checking bags can be and is done by professional tennis players.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 6:07 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
There are a billion Asians in the world
??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.