Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Incident w/ pro tennis player, too many carryon items/oversized bag & "aggressive GA"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Incident w/ pro tennis player, too many carryon items/oversized bag & "aggressive GA"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2017, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by goodeats21
The tennis player also wrote that the Gate Agent expanded out the bag to its full possible size to take the picture, and it was much smaller when compressed.

I would be ticked to have a Gate Agent rummaging through my bags. Do people really think this is appropriate?
I would be pissed if anyone who was not security started removing items from my travel bag. That's totally out of line.

No airline does this. Except in America.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
For those that haven't read the link, here is a quote from the professional tennis player, who is also a 1K:

“I started with 2 carry-ons, one tennis bag and one backpack, both of which fit into the measurement scale for carry-on bags, but she refused to let me board with the tennis bag,” Zhang wrote. “She even manually stretched out and fully expanded my tennis bag with air and empty space so that it would appear to exceed the maximum length of a carry-on, and she took a photo of it as proof that it doesn’t meet the size requirement!”

Although frustrated with the turn of events, Zhang eventually gave in and finally agreed to check in the tennis bag. However, she was faced with further demands from the employee, who then insisted that her five rackets and two small suits counted as seven separate items of luggage.
I struggle to find any way to justify this type of behavior from United staff. I also have to think there is a major failure in management oversight to continue to allow these interactions.

I don't think United is blanket-ly racist, and I mostly have good interactions with ground and flight staff. But United really needs to fundamentally shift some attitudes if they are ever going to change their narrative on customer service.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 5khours
I get it. Had a similar experience in Denver earlier this year. 400k miles a year with exactly the same luggage (completely legal) and for some reason, there was a nutball GA who didn't want to let me on the plane. "I think you're going to take things out of your bag during the flight so it counts as 3 bags. Your bag doesn't slide into the measuring rack smoothly enough." Etc. Etc. All the other agents were rolling their eyes. I don't really blame UA for this, but they do need to make an effort to weed out these crackpot misanthropes.

And BTW - I find the vast majority of UA staff to be very professional and pleasant and some are just outstanding.
Wow, I never would have guessed that I'm not allowed to use stuff during flights if I have a carry on bag and a personal item: no laptop, no pens to fill out landing cards, no iPhones, no Kleenex, etc. because these would therefore count as separate items. This seems to partially defeat the purpose of carrying stuff with me onto the plane.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
??
He's right. There are one-billion asians in the world.

There's also an additional 3.3 billion asians that he forgot to count.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by zymm
I've never seen a tennis racket that comes with a hard case. Most tennis bags are nylon and while they probably exist, I've never personally seen a hard case for tennis rackets.

Just a backpack and a tennis bag should be fine for carry-on. It seems like there's fault on both sides here, with the passenger trying to push the limits of the carry-on rules, and the GA being overzealous in enforcing those rules. It's absurd to count each racket as a piece of luggage, if a piece of luggage inside another piece of luggage still counts as 2 pieces, why do they make those announcements about consolidating items?
I'm not a tennis player so I don't know what's available as far as luggage for tennis rackets, but I can't imagine that there is not some type of hard side case that would hold a few tennis rackets. If I were a tennis professional, I would probably already have one of these.

From what I'm reading, there were no fully compliant participants in this incident.

FAB
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LarryJ
He's right. There are one-billion asians in the world.

There's also an additional 3.3 billion asians that he forgot to count.
So approximately two thirds of the people in the world are Asian?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
So approximately two thirds of the people in the world are Asian?
Off-topic, but, yes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by goodeats21
For those that haven't read the link, here is a quote from the professional tennis player, who is also a 1K:
I didn't notice she was a 1K until now.

The agent should have known better to treat there best customers better than that.

I could understand if this was just a regular flyer buying the cheapest fare creating a fuss but this isn't.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1k
As somebody who worked for years in front line customer services, I had numerous complaints from customers who totally believed that the phrase "I'm sorry Sir/Madam, but that is not something I can do for you" constituted rude and abusive behaviour.

Luckily in those days they didn't have social media to go running to, so that there "plight" immediately became a national media story thanks to bone idle journalists who believe that researching stories means just constantly browsing Facebook and Flyertalk.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:04 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
As soon as she snatched and damaged the flyer's BP and passport, that was the moment to call in the police. Common assault and theft.

I have encountered that GA before. She is a pest, and like all pests, needs to be terminated. She is certainly not doing the airline's reputation any good.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
So this passenger blatantly ignored the carry on restrictions and it's UA that's in the wrong....

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
I didn't notice she was a 1K until now.

The agent should have known better to treat there best customers better than that.

I could understand if this was just a regular flyer buying the cheapest fare creating a fuss but this isn't.
So the rules don't apply to 1K? Where in the terms is that?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 9, 2017 at 11:23 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by kb9522
So this passenger blatantly ignored the carry on restrictions and it's UA that's in the wrong....
This is incorrect. Accrding to the passenger account quoted above, she started with the allowable two carryon bags that were compliant. She ended up with more when the GA started pulling things out of these bags.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Once in a blue moon, some real information appears on facebook (if you are willing to believe it, and given the 99th percentile writing quality by FB standards, I'll vote "yes")...

(from a FB post commenting on the complainant's post and other people's comments)

Hey trigger happy morons, try doing a little research to verify claims before you accept a narrative. The tennis player is clearly lying about the bag being compact (then entended by the UA agent) as the standard dimension length for a tennis racket, especially a tournament type racket, is between 27-29". The max length on the measurement box (for dummies) is 22". Even positioned at an angle (like the tennis player's pic shows), her bag could not hope to fit within the max angled length of 26" so NO, the BAG DOESN'T FIT, and yes, this "professional" is clearly lying about the situation. I can't believe how stupid some of you people are calling others "racist" when you're the same idiots who side with some stranger who is lying because she is asian.

I usually find it questionable to accept the narrative of someone who has already proven they have lied within the same narrative they are peddling. I just came back from a vacation using UA and yes, some agents are pricks but that does not mean every time they come up in the limelight of someone's story, they are guilty until proven innocent.
I believe what we can take from this, is that professional tennis players have to 1) gamble that the GA doesn't enforce the carry-on size rules, 2) buy a hard case and check the equipment, or 3) buy a second ticket for your equipment (and a hard case) and place that in the seat next to you.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
This is incorrect. Accrding to the passenger account quoted above, she started with the allowable two carryon bags that were compliant. She ended up with more when the GA started pulling things out of these bags.
We're clearly not reading the same article. It states her tennis bag didn't fit the sizer. Then she (the passenger) removed a bag from the tennis bag to make it fit... but then ended up with 3 carry ons.

The worst part is the passenger plays the race card.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by kb9522
We're clearly not reading the same article. It states her tennis bag didn't fit the sizer. Then she (the passenger) removed a bag from the tennis bag to make it fit... but then ended up with 3 carry ons.
Clearly we were not reading the same things! I was referring to what was in pst
#47 of this thread. That is said to be a direct quote from the passenger. Of course the truth here is likely somewhere in the middle. Would the tennis racket bag fit in the overhead? Almost certainly. Would it fit in the sizer? Perhaps not given the details on tennis racket size above.
The worst part is the passenger plays the race card.
Agreed - that was disgusting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.