Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Incident w/ pro tennis player, too many carryon items/oversized bag & "aggressive GA"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Incident w/ pro tennis player, too many carryon items/oversized bag & "aggressive GA"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2017, 7:42 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
So, the FAA, not the DOT; and the FAA isn't mandating anything. The airline could submit a different baggage allowance. @:-)

ummm, what department of the govt do you think the FAA is in? Department of Transpirtation, or as I said upthread, the DoT. The FAA IS a subcategory of the DoT. Between the previous false statement about the DoT having nothing to do with size regulations (wrong) and now this, I'm curios what information you are using to draw your conclusions from. It's bad info.

read the headline. Who does the fining for violations to airlines? Oh wow, the DoT! The man announcing it? The Secretary of Transportation, not the FAA administrator. Imagine that. Oh wait no need to imagine, that's what I said, and I explained how it works. Both were called into question. No need to question my facts. Opinions, sure, but not my facts. They're fact based. https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usatoday.com/story/89530300/

Last edited by fastair; Jun 11, 2017 at 7:57 pm
Old Jun 11, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fastair
ummm, what department of the govt do you think the FAA is in? Department of Transpirtation, or as I said upthread, the DoT. The FAA IS a subcategory of the DoT. Between the previous false statement about the DoT having nothing to do with size regulations (wrong) and now this, I'm curios what information you are using to draw your conclusions from. It's bad info.
The FAA is a nominally independent body, so not really a subcategory for the DoT. For example, Sec DoT doesn't have direct authority over FAA.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:09 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
There's literally no reading of the Facebook posts that resembles the facts you posted. She had two carry-ons, one of which contained a smaller bag. She also describes how the Flight Attendant manipulated the bag to make it appear larger in the sizer.

There's no excuse for the UA agent's behavior here.
--------
..and where did the THIRD RED BAG GO ?..the one on her Facebook page (one of several photos posted).
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by docbert
Given that he didn't mention she was Asian, Female, or any form of Athlete, my money is on "yes".
I don't care if she did mention she was asian or not. I assume she is asian because of her name, her appearance and the fact no white pro tennis player has been hauled up by UA in the last 10 years for carrying their competition tennis rackets in their carry on before.

But it has to happen to an asian doesn't it...typical UA.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:10 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by raehl311
The FAA is a nominally independent body, so not really a subcategory for the DoT. For example, Sec DoT doesn't have direct authority over FAA.

the fines for violations are issued by the DoT. This is what we are referencing. https://www.transportation.gov/briefing-room/american-airlines-fined-16-million-violating-tarmac-delay-rule note, it's on Transportation dot gov, not faa dot gov, and the body clearly states who is assessing these penalties. These are DoT items
Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
There is a photo of the bag IN THE SIZER. Why in gods name would you want to look at a close up picture of the bag (which makes it look big) standing up? I could take a picture of my standard roll-away that would make it look HUGE! But unless you goal is to try to confuse people, and make UA look better, the picture in the sizer is what matters.

This bag was slightly longer, and slightly narrower than the typical roll-away. It was not a hug gym bag, a hiking back back, or a bigger 10x16-17x24 bag (which is allowed by SWA, Alaska/VX, F9, Sun Country) all of which I think most/all agents would call out.

And by the way, I want to stress that OALs, including airlines that are all Boeing (SWA, Alaska) allow larger roll-away bags. There is no issue fitting them in the overheads, and this players bag would have fit easily.

I see no indication that the bag in the sizer is anything but her bag in the sizer. It is not after she "unpacked" the bag. But I agree with you generally, I would have said 2" more than the sizer, but given that the bottom on the bag is very thin, this will fit into an overhead bin exactly like a regular carry on roll-away would, due to the curvature of the bins i.e. take up no more space.

This is a good example where you either believe (1) rules must be followed to the letter, even if enforcing the rules provides no actual benefit to anyone, or (2) you ask the purpose of the rule is met by a hard and fast following of the rule.

I would expect most GAs to reject a 10x17x24 roll-away bag (I have one, bought to use on VX/AS flights, but would not try to use on UA/DL, I would just check it, or bring my typical 22" bag) or huge duffle bags, but view it as very very bad customer service to demand a flyer (particularly a 1K) gate check fragile sports equipment that is basically of legal size, and would fit normally in the overhead bins.
You missed another photo

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...31&oe=59A6002D

She had 3 bags vs 2 permitted.

UA is pretty clear and generous you can bring a tennis bag with rackets and balls inside, no size limit - just that ONLY rackets and balls can be inside.

She gamed the system by putting an extra bag inside.

Her choice - check one of the three bags.

She carried on the backpack and shoulder bag with rackets and checked the red bag with we don't know what else was inside.

Rackets made it safely.

Fact is she tried to bring 3 bags on board.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fastair
so does this manditory retraining basicly state "take our published rules and do the opposite. Let early boarders bring anything on and check small bags of those that board late"? That is the outcome of your suggestions. I highly doubt the DoT would ignore that for very long before fines by bucketload started being issued
No one said anything about not enforcing the rules, but enforce them to a certain means to which common sense dictates is reasonable. I have never had a GA ever question my bags or ever seen a GA ask someone to put a bag in the sizer even it was obvious the bag was stuffed or appeared slightly larger than allowed.

So you need wonder why this GA is hassling this particular passenger, let alone someone with 1K status. How much you want to bet that there must have been at least one other passenger of on this flight with a similar sized bag or mini-roller that boarded without a word from this GA? Why was this bag an issue on this particular flight rather than the countless other times this pax has flown with United with the same bags? So why is this GA deviating from common procedure and suddenly enforcing this rule so strictly? Well seasoned travelers know the rules better than your average once-a-year flier, so I have a hard time believing the pax is at fault here.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the common procedure for running out of overhead bin space is to gate check a pax traveling in economy with no status and in the last one or two boarding groups, despite every major airline having the baggage size restrictions
Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:32 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by boerne
http://nextshark.com/zhang-shuai-chi...ited-airlines/

I keep thinking I might switch to UA, but apparently they still don't care about customer service.
this link includes a photo of the UA GA who allegedly was treating the Pro Tennis star poorly.

So nope. Good luck to you all. Wear a helmet when flying UA.
if that GA isn't Shirley Phelps then it's her identical twin sister. A helmet wouldn't be much help 🙏
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by Explorer789
Funny thing is that LCCs who have even stricter baggage rules have fewer or no high profile incidents, and usually provide some leeway.

To all the people quoting and bolding UA rules, please give me a break. I have had family members without any status travel with overstuffed mini-roller that clearly would not fit in the sizer, yet were allowed on many flights without a single word.

It's not like the boarding will devolve into chaos if a passenger has a slightly larger bag, let alone loyal high status passengers who are responsible for a bulk of UA's revenue. If overhead bin space is an issue, gate check some economy passenger's bag. Rest assured, that tennis bag would easily fit in the overhead bin.

UA needs to have mandatory retraining and weed out these disrespectful power-tripping FAs/GAs.
Probably because the DYKWIA types don't fly on LCC's.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:43 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Probably because the DYKWIA types don't fly on LCC's.
Clearly you haven't been looking at the Southwest or Ryanair forums.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
You missed another photo

UA is pretty clear and generous you can bring a tennis bag with rackets and balls inside, no size limit - just that ONLY rackets and balls can be inside.

She carried on the backpack and shoulder bag with rackets and checked the red bag with we don't know what else was inside.

Rackets made it safely.

By your logic, all airlines must now also request passengers with 2 bags to open up their carry on bags to see if there is a HIDDEN bag inside so it becomes 3?

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
if that GA isn't Shirley Phelps then it's her identical twin sister. A helmet wouldn't be much help 🙏
"As well, a pro tennis player is obviously very protective of their racquets and wants them under their own control, with them, not lost or smashed around by baggage handlers. Its not the money, its the loss of control over their the fragile tool of her trade. I don't blame her one bit for being upset! Or the classical violinist who got lightly mugged recently by a United employee for taking her very valuable violin into the United cabin. Your comment seems reasonable at first glance but actually its poorly thought out. The problems at United are real! They need this medicine!"-Rocky Bande

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 12, 2017 at 3:14 am Reason: Discuss the issues, not the poster(s);merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
You missed another photo

Rackets made it safely.

I wish more UA gate agents would enforce the 2 bag rule. I'm tired of watching arrogant a-holes board with 3+ bags.

Don't like the rule? Check your bags or fly another airline.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by halls120
I wish more UA gate agents would enforce the 2 bag rule. I'm tired of watching arrogant a-holes board with 3+ bags.

Don't like the rule? Check your bags or fly another airline.
Don't know how this got twisted from 2 (1 back pack + 1 tennis bag with rackets) to 3 bags to 7 items....but anyways....
Old Jun 12, 2017, 4:15 am

It's pretty simple actually....

Here are the rules - stand up for your rights under the rules you agreed to under the contract of carriage airlines so gladly refer to when it serves THEIR agenda, make ONE polite request to be heard, then call a supervisor, then call security with the sole purpose to have the incident documented.
Then insist on not boarding based on the refusal of the airline employee to abide by the rules under the contract, contact the airline through their call center (1K line should be a solid choice) and let them know they are about to be held liable for their actions. Give them an opportunity to fix it, then sue with a vengeance. Hire the biggest baddest law firm and not your family attorney for that final part. One that smells blood in the water and bites off a big chunk of the airline's butt. Yup, I said it!

Here are the rules on United.com:
"United accepts one item of tennis equipment as checked baggage or carry-on baggage. An item of tennis equipment consists of one tennis racket case containing tennis rackets and balls."

Sad it has come this far... oh, and I am not a member of the legal profession, just tired of a handful of a-hole employees and managers doing their very best to screw up an otherwise decent product.

This is applies to all other airlines as well, not just United by the way 😎
Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by wolf72
Don't know how this got twisted from 2 (1 back pack + 1 tennis bag with rackets) to 3 bags to 7 items....but anyways....
Not twisted.

She had a third bag within the red tennis bag. With everything in there (and even without) this bag was too big for the sizer. She then removed the contents and placed the red bag in the sizer.... Still too big, and now with it emptied she has 3 bags and each racket counts as a separate item except for one which UA generously allows in addition to the normal allowance. 3 bags + 5 rackets - 1 racket = 7 items.

I mean really, this isn't difficult.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.