Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Incident w/ pro tennis player, too many carryon items/oversized bag & "aggressive GA"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Incident w/ pro tennis player, too many carryon items/oversized bag & "aggressive GA"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kb9522
I mean really, this isn't difficult.
It's difficult only if you're looking to bash UA for enforcing a well-known policy.

Check your bags, or bring less crap when you travel. It's simple, really.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by goodeats21
The tennis player also wrote that the Gate Agent expanded out the bag to its full possible size to take the picture, and it was much smaller when compressed.

I would be ticked to have a Gate Agent rummaging through my bags. Do people really think this is appropriate?
Interesting developments in the story. Is this photo (the one that appears big, leaning on the sizer) perhaps the one that the Gate Agent took once they "fluffed" that bag to make it appear huge?

From the original FB:
I started with 2 carry-ons, one tennis bag and one backpack, both of which fit into the measurement scale for carry-on bags, but she refused to let me board with the tennis bag. She even manually stretched out and fully expanded my tennis bag with air and empty space so that it would appear to exceed the maximum length of a carry-on, and she took a photo of it as proof that it doesn’t meet the size requirement! The tennis bag would fit the overhead luggage cabin on the aircraft, and I took the same carry-on bags on my trip from Paris to the U.S. just 2 days ago
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:55 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Interesting developments in the story. Is this photo (the one that appears big, leaning on the sizer) perhaps the one that the Gate Agent took once they "fluffed" that bag to make it appear huge?
Are you saying that the agent is a fluffer?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Are you saying that the agent is a fluffer?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by kb9522
Not twisted.

She had a third bag within the red tennis bag. With everything in there (and even without) this bag was too big for the sizer. She then removed the contents and placed the red bag in the sizer.... Still too big, and now with it emptied she has 3 bags and each racket counts as a separate item except for one which UA generously allows in addition to the normal allowance. 3 bags + 5 rackets - 1 racket = 7 items.

I mean really, this isn't difficult.
Why is the GA touching/opening a passenger's bag? Who gave her the authority to do so ~?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:15 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by wolf72
Why is the GA touching/opening a passenger's bag? Who gave her the authority to do so ~?
Do you believe that the airlines do not have a right to inspect luggage on their aircraft?

It took me under 10 seconds to google "United contract of carriage" then click on the link that says "baggage" to find this:

"All baggage is subject to inspection by UA and/or the TSA. However, there is no obligation that UA perform an inspection. UA will refuse to transport or will remove at any point baggage that the passenger refuses to submit for inspection."

Seems pretty straight forward to me. She did when she used the ticket with a contract attached to it. (If you want, you can also google for yourself the DoT's opinion on inspection of luggage and carrier's abilities)

Last edited by fastair; Jun 12, 2017 at 9:23 am
Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Lifestyle Design
Here are the rules - stand up for your rights under the rules you agreed to under the contract of carriage airlines so gladly refer to when it serves THEIR agenda, make ONE polite request to be heard, then call a supervisor, then call security with the sole purpose to have the incident documented.
Then insist on not boarding based on the refusal of the airline employee to abide by the rules under the contract, contact the airline through their call center (1K line should be a solid choice) and let them know they are about to be held liable for their actions. Give them an opportunity to fix it, then sue with a vengeance. Hire the biggest baddest law firm and not your family attorney for that final part. One that smells blood in the water and bites off a big chunk of the airline's butt. Yup, I said it!

Here are the rules on United.com:
"United accepts one item of tennis equipment as checked baggage or carry-on baggage. An item of tennis equipment consists of one tennis racket case containing tennis rackets and balls."
Sure because when I see something like a tennis racquet bag being allowed on I assume it means however many I want. Maybe I can just start a tennis freight company and use UA bins to do it?

A giant bag with more than a few racquets is kinda like when I was a kid and would ask me sister for just ONE bite of her candy/desert...and I would take one GIANT bite to piss her off.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I've traveled enough flights over the years and I've not once had a UA employee walk up, take my bag and open it. In COC or not, I would not tolerate this. Even the TSA is kind enough to explain things when bags warrant inspection... [remainder of response to deleted quote deleted by moderator]

Last edited by l etoile; Jun 12, 2017 at 12:21 pm Reason: Removed deleted quote
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I've traveled enough flights over the years and I've not once had a UA employee walk up, take my bag and open it. In COC or not, I would not tolerate this. Even the TSA is kind enough to explain things when bags warrant inspection.... [response to deleted quote removed by moderator].
Actually there have been a number of times my bags have been inspected without my prior approval - when the luggage is checked you get a card/letter stating your bag was opened and searched.

Also, SSSS on your boarding card will also result in your bag being searched. You will be there and they may "ask" but it is not optional

TSA may "ask" you at the screening but in reality they will open and search your bag whether you agree or not.

If you do not like the rules, do not fly. Flying is a privilege, not a right.

As I stated before, wish more GAs would enforce the size restriction and number of carry-on items. This is great customer service in my book. The issue is the enforcement is not consistent so folks say, "but I was able to do it on my last flight".

Last edited by l etoile; Jun 12, 2017 at 12:23 pm Reason: Removed response to deleted quote
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Actually there have been a number of times my bags have been inspected without my prior approval - when the luggage is checked you get a card/letter stating your bag was opened and searched.

Also, SSSS on your boarding card will also result in your bag being searched. You will be there and they may "ask" but it is not optional

TSA may "ask" you at the screening but in reality they will open and search your bag whether you agree or not.

If you do not like the rules, do not fly. Flying is a privilege, not a right.
I'm not talking about checked luggage, that's a given that it a can be inspected at will. I'm talking about a GA walking up, taking your bag and opening it. And I know the rules as a frequent flier, please spare me the insulting remarks.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, DL 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Accorfing to Zhang's Facebook post, Zhang took her backpack out of her tennis bag, not the GA.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boiler84
Accorfing to Zhang's Facebook post, Zhang took her backpack out of her tennis bag, not the GA.
In other words, her "tennis" bag included things beyond what was permitted under the tennis exemption.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
In other words, her "tennis" bag included things beyond what was permitted under the tennis exemption.
Oh there's absolutely no doubt about that. Zhang clearly stated that she (Zhang, for those that have problems following along) took another bag out of her tennis bag.

And, for those that seem to think otherwise: Professional tennis rackets are made of either graphite or carbon fiber. Neither will deform in any way at the temperatures that cargo holds maintain. No harm in checking them at all.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by Boiler84
Oh there's absolutely no doubt about that. Zhang clearly stated that she (Zhang, for those that have problems following along) took another bag out of her tennis bag.

And, for those that seem to think otherwise: Professional tennis rackets are made of either graphite or carbon fiber. Neither will deform in any way at the temperatures that cargo holds maintain. No harm in checking them at all.
They can do do deform if temperatures do exceed 40 deg celcius in a cargo hold for x amount of time with pressure on the bag and heavy weight pressing down. The frames can and do warp. Seen it happen many a time when left in the car boot during hot summer days for too long (hours)>

But the big problem with checking in carbon fibre and graphite rackets is them breaking or cracking.

She can perhaps look at improving her packing and items she is checking in and reduce the number of items she is bringing on the flight to prevent a repeat of what transpired.

As a pro, maybe she can speak to the airline and explain why she needs to bring 5-7 rackets on board with her and try to find a compromise. Airline wants her business. She needs to travel. Love know's no end.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:22 pm

They can do do deform if temperatures do exceed 40 deg celcius in a cargo hold for x amount of time with pressure on the bag and heavy weight pressing down. The frames can and do warp. Seen it happen many a time when left in the car boot during hot summer days for too long (hours)>

But the big problem with checking in carbon fibre and graphite rackets is them breaking or cracking.
You have had a tennis racket in the boot of your car with "pressure on the bag and heavy weight pressing down"? How much weight?

I've had tennis rackets in the trunk of my car for months at a time with no problem, andI live in Houston.

i just don't buy it. If graphite and carbon fiber are as fragile as you say, golfers should want to carry on their graphite clubs, bikers should want to carry on their carbon fiber bikes, skiers should want to carry on their carbon fiber and graphite skis, the carbon fiber luggage racks in the cargo holds would fall apart, and the carbon fiber wings on the 787 would fall off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.