Wiki Posts
Search

UA to Launch LAX-SIN!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, and a certain status at an unnamed airline
Originally Posted by halls120
And this matters because?

Are the two work groups going to continue this meaningless division even after there is no more subCO and subUA?
I don't think Jose meant anything more than just sharing information. I, for one, find it interesting to see which work groups are assigned to which routes.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mike2K
I don't think Jose meant anything more than just sharing information. I, for one, find it interesting to see which work groups are assigned to which routes.
At some point this ridiculous division is supposed to be gone. Why perpetuate division?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
At some point this ridiculous division is supposed to be gone. Why perpetuate division?
Those are just the bases assigned to the route at launch. Hopefully it'll only be for a few months (<1yr) until the subsidiaries are fully integrated... then the bonanza is over for some of the more junior West Coast sCO flight attendants who have been able to hold some pretty choice flying! 😉
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by truncated

Maybe ICN-ORD to send a message to UA ? Which entirely implausible given how SQ started SIN-AMS-ORD c. 2000 (which some claim is the source of all the bad blood between SQ and UA) but axed it after 9/11, and apparently OZ isn't doing well on ICN-ORD currently (they're less than daily now).
Interesting you brought this up. I heard this years ago, around when UAL Corp. was entering Ch. 11. Remember in the late 90s UAL was larger than the combined UA/CO of 2010, and their 1999 United First Suite, Dom, and caviar (even before the flatbed) meant their soft product was quite comparable, if not at parity with SQ's.

It was my understanding that the relationship was fraught from day one of SQ negotiating to join Star Alliance, with Chicago feeling like SQ were arrogant given their assets and size relative to their demands, and SQ feeling that UA was a bully among Star, dictating terms to all members.

When 9/11 happened and UAL's future was questioned in bankruptcy, it was my understanding that SQ was back-channeling to set up a partnership with VX, who's business plan at that point hinged upon UAL Corp. liquidating, and VX taking over SFO.

Clearly history played out a little differently than both had expected, and upon UAUA's emergence from Ch. 11, the relationship was at an all time low, and never really recovered. Somebody said it's not quite DL/KE territory yet, but it kinda actually is, albeit with a quiet pragmatism since they are both still in the same alliance. But make no mistake about the mutual feelings towards each other.

Clearly there are Singapore execs livid at this (and the SFO) flight, and rightfully so. The snub continues all the way down to the flight numbers. Unfortunate for them, a decade and a half has passed and we're back to UAL calling the shots and holding most of the cards.

Originally Posted by adambrau
I could be wrong but UA and SQ have never had a close relationship, whereas most of the bigger *A carriers have. It's a shame in a way because both have a lot to offer one another, but clearly there is some sort of disconnect. But as your example of AC funneling its pax thru HKG onto CX makes sense on a geographical and pax case, its weakens the case of the existence of alliances!
Doubtful. SQ's situation is going to get worse before to gets better. I'm not sure what their plan is, but I think a lot of us would agree that perhaps their reputation for being difficult and arrogant to deal with in Star isn't entirely unjustified. No question you had Tilton and Smisek (especially the latter, from what I've heard), take a hardball "we don't really need you" attitude towards Singapore.

Last edited by tuolumne; Jun 1, 2017 at 11:37 pm
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:58 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, and a certain status at an unnamed airline
Sharing information objectively isn't perpetuating division the way you're implying.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by tuolumne
When 9/11 happened and UAL's future was questioned in bankruptcy, it was my understanding that SQ was back-channeling to set up a partnership with VX, who's business plan at that point hinged upon UAL Corp. liquidating, and VX taking over SFO.
According to Wikipedia, UAL was in bankruptcy 2002- Feb 2006. VX didn't fly until Aug 2007. Was VX dreaming about taking over SFO from UA before they had even launched their first flight?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by jmanirish
Wonder what moves SQ will make as a result. Since they have 2 daily flights with connections (LAX-NRT-SIN and LAX-ICN-SIN). Have to imagine one gets cut (guess would be ICN based on anecdotal load checks).
I have a Nov SQ LAX-ICN-SIN-BKK award. I picked ICN simply because ICN is cheaper to transit though. I wouldn't mind it replaced with something else if it get axed.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Remember in the late 90s UAL was larger than the combined UA/CO of 2010, and their 1999 United First Suite, Dom, and caviar (even before the flatbed) meant their soft product was quite comparable, if not at parity with SQ's.

It was my understanding that the relationship was fraught from day one of Star Alliance's formation, with Chicago feeling like SQ were arrogant given their assets and size relative to their demands, and SQ feeling that UA was a bully among Star, dictating terms to all members.
Not sure what basis you're using to claim that 1990s UAL was larger than UA+CO? Fleet size? Market cap? Destination?

Also, SQ didn't join *A until April 2000, 3 years after it was founded by UA/LH/AC/SK/TG.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:58 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Clearly there are Singapore execs livid at this (and the SFO) flight, and rightfully so. The snub continues all the way down to the flight numbers. Unfortunate for them, a decade and a half has passed and we're back to UAL calling the shots and holding most of the cards.

Doubtful. SQ's situation is going to get worse before to gets better. I'm not sure what their plan is, but I think a lot of us would agree that perhaps their reputation for being difficult and arrogant to deal with in Star isn't entirely unjustified. No question you had Tilton and Smisek (especially the latter, from what I've heard), take a hardball "we don't really need you" attitude towards Singapore.
There are some issues and dates that don't add up with this story, and I've head something very different, and from people at SQ: That SQ elite travelers transiting to United F after traveling in SQ F/J got treated like crap in the Smisik era, causing SQ to loose face and have to address issues. This was - so I was told - a large part of the reason why SQ starting putting F/J passengers on VX and B6 rather than UA. (and SQ's indirect ownership was likely also a part of it).

Do I know the whole story? No. But I don't think "arrogance" is at the root of it.

Nor should I add, do I think UA added SFO-SIN to "get" SQ, rather I think they saw an opportunity, had extra A/C, and since they don't coordinate with SQ or have a JV with them, took it. Good for United. Gold star for the person who saw the opportunity and seized it.

Other than the number on the LAX-SIN flight, I also see this as UA trying to make money off an opportunity and getting a jump on it. I am happy to see them competing, if not on product, on new routes.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Wyfind
Perhaps J is blocked on the inaugural for UA executives and the media?
Yes, could be. Only for UA executives and news media, as well.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:40 pm

Duplication

Last edited by tuolumne; Jun 1, 2017 at 11:48 pm
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by hirohito888
Not sure what basis you're using to claim that 1990s UAL was larger than UA+CO? Fleet size? Market cap? Destination?

Also, SQ didn't join *A until April 2000, 3 years after it was founded by UA/LH/AC/SK/TG.
You're correct, I corrected that. But they were negotiating their entrance for over 2 years before that. At that point Star was just formed, and all but a year old (if that). And this is just me speculating, but it's not inconceivable that the risk averse SQ was propositioned as being a founding member, but wanted to take a more cautious wait and see approach.

Dated Dec 1998: Aviation Week: Singapore Airlines Close Signing Star Alliance

Originally Posted by Aviation Weekly
Singapore Airlines Chief Executive Cheong Choong Kong finally revealed his hand, saying it is "more likely now that we'll join" the Star Alliance. After months of speculation, Cheong used a news briefing at the Association of Asia Pacific Airlines annual meeting last week in Manila to confirm his intentions. After concluding alliances recently with Lufthansa and SAS, he is actively seeking closure on agreements with other Star airlines. The final decision and announcement will be made ...
http://aviationweek.com/awin/singapo...-star-alliance

Originally Posted by spin88
There are some issues and dates that don't add up with this story, and I've head something very different, and from people at SQ: That SQ elite travelers transiting to United F after traveling in SQ F/J got treated like crap in the Smisik era, causing SQ to loose face and have to address issues. This was - so I was told - a large part of the reason why SQ starting putting F/J passengers on VX and B6 rather than UA. (and SQ's indirect ownership was likely also a part of it).

Do I know the whole story? No. But I don't think "arrogance" is at the root of it.

Nor should I add, do I think UA added SFO-SIN to "get" SQ, rather I think they saw an opportunity, had extra A/C, and since they don't coordinate with SQ or have a JV with them, took it. Good for United. Gold star for the person who saw the opportunity and seized it.

Other than the number on the LAX-SIN flight, I also see this as UA trying to make money off an opportunity and getting a jump on it. I am happy to see them competing, if not on product, on new routes.
Hi Spin. I never posited I know with 100% accuracy if that's all true, but it's the stories I've heard over the years. The timeline matches up to me, since VX was trying to get off the ground ever since UAL entered bankruptcy. Remember CO and DL fighting tooth andnaill to block them? I wonder why!

As far as your conversations with SQ execs...Well what do you expect them to say? That's a perfect way to both throw some shade at UA, and look like they're doing right by their customers. I think the reality is that Smisek had less than a friendly relationship with them, just as Tilton had. I'm not exactly a Smisek defender, but I don't have a problem with this if true. Personally I do find something inherently arrogant about SQ - the arrogance of growth perhaps. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited by tuolumne; Jun 1, 2017 at 11:58 pm
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Read about this just as I landed in Singapore on an SQ flight.

I think it is great for UA. Much better to select SIN as an destination than trying to restart the historically often failed LAX-HKG route UA had experienced.

As a DC based flyer, unless UA offers more flatbed transcon flights out of IAD, my best option will still be going through NRT on UA/NH or UA/CA combo with flatbed seats.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jun 2, 2017 at 7:21 am
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
As a DC based flyer, unless UA offers more flatbed transcon flights out of IAD, my best option will still be going through NRT on UA/NH or UA/CA combo with flatbed seats.
This. Since I can't do IAD-SIN nonstop, I'd rather do 14 hours to NRT and 7 hours to SIN than 5 hours to LAX and 18 hours to SIN.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
This. Since I can't do IAD-SIN nonstop, I'd rather do 14 hours to NRT and 7 hours to SIN than 5 hours to LAX and 18 hours to SIN.
Absolutely agree plus there just seems to be more consistency out of NRT.

Good to see UA competing internationally out of LAX now. Glad they are still focused on serving SIN with 2 flight options but would love to see other SE Asia destinations from the West Coast like Bangkok or Vietnam.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.