Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to Launch LAX-SIN!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by bulgarianfreak55
18 hours in United Economy. The tears from my laughing could fuel Niagara Falls for 10 years.
I think this breaks some kind of human rights treaty
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by coinboy66
I'm curious to know what will happen with the 777 from ORD that would have flown the HKG-SIN leg. Are they going to adjust the HKG-ORD schedule to let it turn around right away, or leave it on the ground at HKG overnight to fly the return the next morning?
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Maybe round robin with SFO-HKG or crazy stuff, same for the EWR-HKG
This would be my guess. My understanding is that parking planes overnight at HKG is very expensive - which is why it was always cheaper to have it operate the tag legs and park overnight elsewhere in Asia.
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I too would have rather have seen LAX-HKG. But as a frequent HKG visitor, the only thing I like about this announcement is that it will probably make US-HKG-US flights SLIGHTLY easier to upgrade since no one will be flying the HKG-SIN tag anymore--probably a half-dozen or so people per flight in J heading onward to SIN?!?!?! (Dunno, just speculating).

Originally Posted by riphamilton
Wow. Did anyone have SIN in the pool?
^ :-:
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I too would have rather have seen LAX-HKG. But as a frequent HKG visitor, the only thing I like about this announcement is that it will probably make US-HKG-US flights SLIGHTLY easier to upgrade since no one will be flying the HKG-SIN tag anymore--probably a half-dozen or so people per flight in J heading onward to SIN?!?!?! (Dunno, just speculating).
EWR-HKG is already ridiculously easy for R fares, last few times I went J wasn't full and there were quite a few of us connecting to SIN.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
I definitely did not see this one coming. SFO-SIN must be doing very well. But I am confused about the economics of this flight. SQ has been waiting for the A359-ULRs to launch this (as well as NYC-SIN). I am assuming SQ had decided they didn't want to do this with their current A350s. I was under the impression that the 789 was already a stretch for SFO-SIN. Will we see lots of blocked seats and limited cargo on this new flight?

My thought is just with SFO-SIN, SQ will be forced to respond sooner than they bargained for. UA should codeshare with SQ!
SQ' A350s can barely make SFO and LAX is 300mi further, this is UA betting SQ to the punch. If UA does take delivery of the A350, maybe they will convert to ULR to do EWR-SIN to compete with SQ on that as well.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Tough for the East Coast crowd, but I guess I have another choice when figuring out how to get to SIN next year via the West Coast. I wouldn't want to be stuck in the back, though...and even up front, that is a LONG haul.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
The flight isn't super relevant to me, and there's a really good chance I never take it. BUT...I always like to see an airline that is relevant to me adding routes on my side of the continent.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
True, but I expect those pax to further reduce the upgrades on EWR-LAX/SFO.
I wonder what front cabin upgrades will look like on LAX-SIN; hopefully not as hard as SFO-SIN
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by N104UA
SQ' A350s can barely make SFO and LAX is 300mi further, this is UA betting SQ to the punch. If UA does take delivery of the A350, maybe they will convert to ULR to do EWR-SIN to compete with SQ on that as well.
It seems like the big winner here is Boeing / 789. Another strong data point for them to show to customers seeking ULH planes (alongside SFO - SIN).
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
oooooof. 18 hours is ROUGH.

Considering I never take any of these routes I have no actual opinion beyond nice to see UA expanding LAX some.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Originally Posted by bulgarianfreak55
18 hours in United Economy. The tears from my laughing could fuel Niagara Falls for 10 years.
I agree!! I am on a 787 flight right now from Europe and the service is poor in economy!! Hopefully they improve it for such a long flight and increase meal portion size and snack options!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by N104UA
Well the 350-9 has a slightly (about 500 sm) longer range than the 787-9. So color me surprised. While I would not expect much cargo demand for LAX-SIN (the issue is westbound vs the jet stream) the plane is going to go out weight restricted much of the time.

My guess is that they have demand from corporate accounts ex-LA (mostly media/advertising/creative) but are losing enough of it via SFO to SQ's better product, and as a result, since they have spare aircraft, decided to just accept blocking seats to be able to try to secure that LAX premium traffic.

It will be interesting to see if SQ just matches them, and is willing to run the A359 weight restricted, until they get the ULH version.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:31 am
formerly bulgarianfreak55

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
I agree!! I am on a 787 flight right now from Europe and the service is poor in economy!! Hopefully they improve it for such a long flight and increase meal portion size and snack options!
Could we perhaps see some reconfiguration of 789s to more premium heavy seating, or addition of a true premium economy product prior to launch of this 18 hr fight? There are still 4 789s yet to be delivered, making them perfect candidates!

I think a move like this proves non of us on the this forum or other .net airliner forum truly know what UA is ever thinking. I hope this also puts an end to all the "Is UA going to take delivery of the A350s"...none of us will know until UA makes an announcement, so any speculation is totally pointless.

Last edited by TurboFan779; Jun 1, 2017 at 9:45 am
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Why is there no direct USA to SIN in a A380?

LH has several from SFO, IAH, JFK and I think MIA to FRA

Range? Capacity?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.