Search

UA to Launch LAX-SIN!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
UA to Launch LAX-SIN!

http://newsroom.united.com/2017-06-0...-and-Singapore

United Airlines Announces Nonstop Service Between Los Angeles and Singapore United's LAX-SIN route will be the longest scheduled nonstop flight to or from the U.S. New LAX-SIN route announced on first anniversary of United's SFO-SIN service

June 01, 2017

LOS ANGELES, June 1, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines (UAL) today announced that it will introduce daily nonstop flights between its Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) hub and Singapore's Changi Airport (SIN), effective Oct. 27, 2017 (westbound), subject to government approval. The flight between LAX and SIN will set the new distance record for any airline operating a flight to or from the United States, at 8,700 miles.

United's existing service between San Francisco International Airport (SFO) and SIN started one year ago, June 1, 2016 and holds the current record for the longest scheduled 787 flight operated by any airline and is currently the longest scheduled flight operated by any U.S. carrier, at 8,446 miles. The airline will operate both routes with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft.

"Whether our customers are on leisure or business travel, United is making travel to Singapore easier and even more convenient than ever before and customers arriving to Los Angeles will have multiple opportunities to connect to hundreds of United destinations in the U.S., Canada and Latin America," said Dave Hilfman, United's senior vice president of Worldwide Sales. "Our commitment to our Los Angeles hub is more than 50 years strong and with today's new Singapore service announcement, we continue to strengthen our position as the leading U.S. carrier to Asia."

LAX-SIN Flight Schedule

Flight UA 37 will depart Los Angeles at 8:55 p.m. daily, arriving in Singapore at 6:50 a.m. two days later (all times local). The return flight, UA 38, will depart Singapore's Changi Airport at 11:00 a.m. daily, arriving at Los Angeles International Airport at 10:15 a.m. the same day. Flying times will be approximately 17 hours, 55 minutes westbound and 15 hours, 15 minutes eastbound.

Convenient Connecting Flights at LAX

United has timed arrival to LAX from SIN to provide optimal connections to more than 20 U.S. cities. From its LAX hub, United operates more than 130 flights to over 40 airports across the U.S., including more seats to top business centers in New York, Chicago, Denver, San Francisco, Houston and Washington, D.C. than any other airline.

Serving LAX for more than 50 Years

United's hub at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is a key gateway offering service to Latin America, Europe, Asia, Australia, and the domestic U.S. network. Over the last two years, United has invested more than $570 million in its LAX hub with renovations designed to add greater convenience and comfort. As a result of this investment, customers are enjoying new state-of-the-art ticketing lobby, gate and bag areas, employee areas, and a brand new United Club lounge. From Los Angeles, United operates daily nonstop service to four Asia Pacific destinations including Melbourne (MEL), Tokyo/Narita (NRT), Shanghai (PVG) and Sydney (SYD) and serves more Hawaiian Islands locations non-stop than any other airline.

"We are proud that United Airlines will set a new record for the longest nonstop route by a domestic carrier right here at LAX. This historic route to Singapore will bring more flights, tourists and economic growth to Los Angeles," said Deborah Flint, CEO of Los Angeles World Airports. "United's daily nonstop flight to Singapore will further strengthen L.A.'s cultural and economic relationship with Singapore."

Onboard Products and Services Between LAX and SIN

United's 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft will feature a total of 252 seats – 48 United Polaris business class, 204 United Economy, including 88 Economy Plus. United Polaris business class, a reinvention of the airline's international premium cabin travel experience, offers elevated comfort and service for a restful night's sleep in the air.

United Economy offers complimentary food, soft drinks, juices, beer and wine, tea, coffee and inflight entertainment. Seats feature an adjustable headrest and seat-back monitor delivering a personal on-demand entertainment system. United Economy Plus offers up to five inches of extra legroom. Located near the front of the economy cabin, the seats give the added benefit of allowing a swifter exit from the plane upon arrival.

United in Singapore

United has served Singapore for more than 30 years and today operates daily nonstop service between Singapore and SFO with Boeing 787-9 aircraft. With the launch of new nonstop service between SIN and LAX on Oct. 29, the airline will terminate service from Hong Kong (HKG) to SIN on Oct. 27, and from SIN to HKG on Oct. 28. United will continue to operate daily service between SIN and SFO.

Last edited by TWA Guy; Jun 1, 2017 at 8:25 am
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Wow, I was thinking it would be BNE for the next announcement!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Woof!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Wow! Is HKG-SIN sticking around?

EDIT: Nevermind.

With the launch of new nonstop service between SIN and LAX on Oct. 29, the airline will terminate service from Hong Kong (HKG) to SIN on Oct. 27, and from SIN to HKG on Oct. 28. United will continue to operate daily service between SIN and SFO.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
United shocked every one on this thread by choosing lax-Sin.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
This sucks

I am on CHS-EWR-HKG-SIN next week - it is very easy to find R space on the EWR-HKG and trivial to find it on the HKG-SIN, but now all the flights that culminate into HKG that funneled passengers to the last part of UA 895 will now have to take one of 2 non stops.

Maybe I am over reacting and R space will magically appear. Other than the dreaded maint issues on the 789, I love that plane much more than any 777, except the 77W

Off to check flights for my Dec trip Uggghhh

Nothing is updated yet, still showing UA 895/896 running HKG-SIN-HKG thru December, but it does have the LAX-SIN flights

Last edited by Hipplewm; Jun 1, 2017 at 8:39 am
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
I definitely did not see this one coming. SFO-SIN must be doing very well. But I am confused about the economics of this flight. SQ has been waiting for the A359-ULRs to launch this (as well as NYC-SIN). I am assuming SQ had decided they didn't want to do this with their current A350s. I was under the impression that the 789 was already a stretch for SFO-SIN. Will we see lots of blocked seats and limited cargo on this new flight?

My thought is just with SFO-SIN, SQ will be forced to respond sooner than they bargained for. UA should codeshare with SQ!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Wow. Did anyone have SIN in the pool?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
This sucks

I am on CHS-EWR-HKG-SIN next week - it is very easy to find R space on the EWR-HKG and trivial to find it on the HKG-SIN, but now all the flights that culminate into HKG that funneled passengers to the last part of UA 895 will now have to take one of 2 non stops.

Maybe I am over reacting and R space will magically appear. Other than the dreaded maint issues on the 789, I love that plane much more than any 777, except the 77W

Off to check flights for my Dec trip Uggghhh
I agree with you, as I am EWR-based as well. Won't get open R on EWR-SFO/LAX either! That being said, I understand UA does what makes the most business sense, and those decisions won't always benefit us.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:38 am
formerly bulgarianfreak55

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hertz Pres
18 hours in United Economy. The tears from my laughing could fuel Niagara Falls for 10 years.
nnn likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Raise your hand if you saw this coming. (I doubt anyone on FT would have predicted this.) Well you can forget about UA doing any further "adjustments" at LAX that could eventually lead to further retreating from the LAX market. I would have guessed LAX-HKG would happen before LAX-SIN due to no Star Alliance on the route and CX is going from four dailies to three dailies. Makes you wonder what SQ will do with those ULR A350-900s other than EWR-SIN and possibly IAH-SIN. The idea of flying LAX-SIN in an ultra premium 170 seat configuration just took a massive hit. The standard 280 tonne version of the A350-900, without the extra fuel tanks, could fly LAX-SIN in SQ's regular configuration likely without having to block seats.

I'll go out on a limb and predict that this route will almost always have at least a few seats blocked and the cargo hold empty. Apparently the biggest connecting traffic at SFO for SFO-SIN was from LAX so it won't be an issue filing the plane. Hell, UA doesn't even need connecting passengers to make this route successful. UA's biggest problem is the outmoded hard product upfront which won't see the Polaris product for a long time. Despite this, they'll be fine.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
While I'm excited to see additional lift to SIN - one of my favorite places - I am sad to see the end of HKG-SIN as well.

My favorite MR is EWR-HKG-SIN-SFO - just did this last weekend as a matter of fact. I'm guessing upgrades will now be all but non-existent.

Maybe with enough griping they'll bring back the 737 between HKG-SIN instead.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Wonder what moves SQ will make as a result. Since they have 2 daily flights with connections (LAX-NRT-SIN and LAX-ICN-SIN). Have to imagine one gets cut (guess would be ICN based on anecdotal load checks).
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: QFF Gold, UA 1K
I'm curious to know what will happen with the 777 from ORD that would have flown the HKG-SIN leg. Are they going to adjust the HKG-ORD schedule to let it turn around right away, or leave it on the ground at HKG overnight to fly the return the next morning?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by coinboy66
I'm curious to know what will happen with the 777 from ORD that would have flown the HKG-SIN leg. Are they going to adjust the HKG-ORD schedule to let it turn around right away, or leave it on the ground at HKG overnight to fly the return the next morning?
Maybe round robin with SFO-HKG or crazy stuff, same for the EWR-HKG.

They won't all have to essentially be tied to the HKG-SIN flight time, so I could see some adjustment in schedules for flight times based on coats etc.

EWR-HKG leaves at 3pm arrive 7pm. If they backed that up a few hours and made it dep 10am and arrive 2pm, then the return could easily be dep 5pm arr 6pm in EWR or whatever

I am talking out of my butt, but the SFO-HKg and EWR-HKG flights were artificially made to arrive to allow for connecting passengers to get on UA-895 HKG-SIN, that limitation will go away and allow for much more flexible schedules.

Last edited by Hipplewm; Jun 1, 2017 at 9:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.