Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to Launch LAX-SIN!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mh3265a
Good to see UA competing internationally out of LAX now. Glad they are still focused on serving SIN with 2 flight options but would love to see other SE Asia destinations from the West Coast like Bangkok or Vietnam.
I am as well - but going to LAX to connect only makes sense if I'm going to SYD or AKL. As bad as SFO can be at times, it's closer to most Asian destinations.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:29 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by halls120
This. Since I can't do IAD-SIN nonstop, I'd rather do 14 hours to NRT and 7 hours to SIN than 5 hours to LAX and 18 hours to SIN.
IAD-FRA-SIN on LH (8hrs/12hrs)
IAD-ZRH-SIN on UA/LX (8hrs/12hrs)
IAD-PEK-SIN on CA (This is about 14hrs/6hrs)
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
My employer-supplied booking engine won't let me fly the first two routings, and friends don't let friends connect in PEK.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
My employer-supplied booking engine won't let me fly the first two routings, and friends don't let friends connect in PEK.
Travelling East Coast to SE Asia via Europe is great, but most times priced prohibitively expensive.
When I redeem awards, it is a great option.

And agree on PEK.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
As a DC based flyer, unless UA offers more flatbed transcon flights out of IAD, my best option will still be going through NRT on UA/NH or UA/CA combo with flatbed seats.
If maximizing horizontal is important to you, you can fly IAD-EWR-HKG-SIN. and try to do HKG-SIN on another carrier. I stopped going via NRT after UA dropped NRT-SIN and havent been back to NRT since then.

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Travelling East Coast to SE Asia via Europe is great, but most times priced prohibitively expensive.
When I redeem awards, it is a great option.

And agree on PEK.
I wonder how much time is saved flying to SE Asia via Europe then flying back over the pacific versus the other way given the tail winds.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Connecting in FRA/ZRH from the east coast will also result in a good 10-12h layover as flights from FRA/ZRH-SIN don't depart until 10pm. Good if you're flying F and in the FCL, but I've done this in C and it's quite boring to hang around in the airport. Going out to the city is fine, but it's FRA....
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by hirohito888
Connecting in FRA/ZRH from the east coast will also result in a good 10-12h layover as flights from FRA/ZRH-SIN don't depart until 10pm. Good if you're flying F and in the FCL, but I've done this in C and it's quite boring to hang around in the airport. Going out to the city is fine, but it's FRA....
If you stay LH/LX yes, but if you go UA to FRA and Singapore airlines from there - layover is 3-4 hours.

There are tons of routings to stay in ZRH or FRA for 3-5 hours and get to SIN, but you need to be flexible and it appears that his companies booking engine isn't.

I am lucky in that I am my own booking engine, with a ton of help from FT community
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
If maximizing horizontal is important to you, you can fly IAD-EWR-HKG-SIN. and try to do HKG-SIN on another carrier.
Unless they end up moving the EWR-HKG flight back a few hours there are no good flight options HKG-SIN that don't require an overnight stay.

UA179 lands at ~7pm and most connections to SIN have already left by then. What is nice about 895 currently is the timed connection in HKG. You can get off 179, hit the transit desk and walk up to the gate for 895 right about the time they start boarding.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
If you stay LH/LX yes, but if you go UA to FRA and Singapore airlines from there - layover is 3-4 hours.

There are tons of routings to stay in ZRH or FRA for 3-5 hours and get to SIN, but you need to be flexible and it appears that his companies booking engine isn't.

I am lucky in that I am my own booking engine, with a ton of help from FT community
You're correct on connecting with SQ. My company booking engine can book that but it ends up being 2 tickets at an exorbitant price. There's also more incentive for me to fly UA+LH for PQM/PQD, but priorities are different for everyone.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 9:51 am

You're correct on connecting with SQ. My company booking engine can book that but it ends up being 2 tickets at an exorbitant price. There's also more incentive for me to fly UA+LH for PQM/PQD, but priorities are different for everyone.
I was giving options, I also know not everyone has ultimate flexibility.

At some point, we just have to realize this move isn't the best for everyone, and then others are singing int he streets.

Hopefully there will be some shifting of flight time to HKG between EWR and SFO to allow for more transfers, or maybe the increased direct capacity will drive down prices a bit (No, I am not drunk LOL)
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
I am as well - but going to LAX to connect only makes sense if I'm going to SYD or AKL. As bad as SFO can be at times, it's closer to most Asian destinations.
Very true. Maybe as more new fuel efficient aircraft come online they'll open up new markets. Would like for them to lead but this is a good start.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 2MM
That is when you get a day rate at the Hilton and get a good nap in
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I was giving options, I also know not everyone has ultimate flexibility.

At some point, we just have to realize this move isn't the best for everyone, and then others are singing int he streets.

Hopefully there will be some shifting of flight time to HKG between EWR and SFO to allow for more transfers, or maybe the increased direct capacity will drive down prices a bit (No, I am not drunk LOL)
I sure hope it gets moved up. However, it could go the other way. They could shift the flight even later since they no longer need to operate HKG-SIN. They may not care about connections from HKG especially if they assume to SIN will go via SFO/HKG. A later flight would allow for more US connections.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by spin88
I asked because you typically have a very good grasp of aircraft capacity. ^ Obviously range is load specific, and as the article I linked to states when Airbus was giving range for 315 passengers it was 7750 nm, and the figure you gave for a lesser range was with an extra 10 passengers (for 325 with a range of 7590 nm). SQ has 253 passengers on its A359 (42J/24PE/187 Y (18" seats with 32" pitch)).

The B789 has a range of 7625nm with 290 passengers (28J, 262 Y). United has 48J/204 Y, for a total of 252 passengers.

As such the range for 315 passengers A359 (7750nm) is a better starting point in determining the A350's range, compared to what United can get from its B789; with SQ's configuration then being 25 passengers lighter than United's compared to the standard configuration for which ranges are given.

So w/o taking into account that United's plane has an extra 25 passengers, at a minimum the SQ A359 ought to have a range that is 125nm longer. Given the extra range Airbus claims going 10 passengers lower (an extra 160 nm), my guess is that the SQ configuration has about another 500 nm of range (125 + 160x2.5).

And I might add that the 325 figure from Airbus is very far from what any airline is doing as "typical." OZ has 311 (28J, rest Y), Finn has 297 (48J, rest Y), QR has 283 (36 J, rest Y), CX has 280 (38 J, 28 PE, rest Y).

I have seen no signs that SQ has had to weight restrict the A359 so far by blocking off seats on SFO-SIN, and that also says that the aircraft is slightly more capable than UA's B789. Now SQ may not want to further push the envelope (which I think UA is needing another 350 sm of flight), but I don't see any indication that their A359 can't do LAX-SIN if they wanted to, if UA can do it with a less capable plane.
I would be very curious to see how the rumored 245t A338 would do on this route. Its capacity is lower than the 789, and considerably lower than the A359, but since the 789 and (non-ULR) A359 will typically have blocked seats anyway, that's irrelevant. In my estimation it could well win on operating costs per transported passenger, and of course it would completely destroy the 789 after accounting for capital costs. It's kind of ironic, albeit not of much practical importance since orders for the smaller variants of these aircrafts (B788 and A332/A338) have all but disappeared.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
As a DC based flyer, unless UA offers more flatbed transcon flights out of IAD, my best option will still be going through NRT on UA/NH or UA/CA combo with flatbed seats.
To be fair, UA340 is pretty well timed for the evening APAC bank from SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.