Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Major United Policy Changes Announced

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Probably not. There are a lot of us on this board that would bite at $800-$1000. I have a hard time imaging the bidding getting up above $2500...

But I guess we could look at the DL experience, they offer up to $9950... not sure the highest they've paid out.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
But suddenly all those rules and restrictions evaporate when T-59m hits if the crew aren't booked?

"Ensure crews are booked onto a flight at least 60 minutes prior to departure."
Well I suppose now the situation will be that they delay or cancel the flight that the crew would be going to work. Though keep in mind, the 60 minute rule only applies when there are no open seats on the flight. If there are open seats to book the crew into, there is no time restriction. The number of times a crew gets scheduled to deadhead on a flight that last minute was a rare occurrence as it is, I imagine.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
Probably not. There are a lot of us on this board that would bite at $800-$1000. I have a hard time imaging the bidding getting up above $2500...

But I guess we could look at the DL experience, they offer up to $9950... not sure the highest they've paid out.
I remember someone taking an offer from DL at ATL a few weeks ago for $2,000. It was that crazy weather time in ATL. The bump was from Friday to Monday
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
It still comes down entirely to how toxic the culture is and what is being done to fix the "customers are the enemy" mindset (nothing I can see from this letter is addressing that).

When I took a VDB in Austin earlier this week, DL gave me a hotel for free without blinking. On the hotel shuttle the next day I was chatting with the driver and she told me that UA and AA are notorious for stiffing their customers on the hotel but that she finds DL and WN consistently pay for them.

One observation from one driver at an AUS Airport Hotel (which is positioned to get a lot of these types of guests but from talking had no obvious skin in the game) but I think points to the bigger issue here. Until the "by the book, customer is the enemy" culture of UA is changed, nothing will change. Period. End of story.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
Does anyone really not believe that, had United paid for a hotel + $2000 cash, there would have been no takers? Or what about a hotel and two free iPads (which is actually worth less than $2000 cash)? Part of the problem is that they offer vouchers, which are useless to infrequent flyers. They need to write people a check, right then and there. Or give out Visa/Amex gift cards.
I don't know if we can change that overnight. I suspect UA has already figured that when people hear $800 they aren't thinking about how vouchers are useless. The few times I almost volunteered I was thinking pure dollar amount too even though I know better than that.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by eng3
So a DYKWIA decides they deserve to sit in your F or E+ or exit row seat and refuses to move. UA can ask them to move but they refuse. They also cannot call the cops because there is no "safety or security" issue. You are now left going to the back.

Can't find the thread. I recall this actually happened to someone years ago where some lady helped herself to his F seat and he had to sit in the back. He chose not to delay the flight and just sit in the back. The DYKWIA always wins while the rest of us have to suffer.
I am not sure what the new policy is on police intervention for poaching, but a passenger who poaches a seat in F will surely be met by police when the plane lands and will likely regret that decision.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I think some of you folks miss the point.

10K is allow the ground crew to raise the amount. They are NOT giving $7000 for a ticket to FL.
Assuming it is not Christmas or freak weather outage (like hurricane knocks out the entire East Coast) - there will always be a college student or free spirit flyer who will take the next day flight and $1000.
Business travel route on a Monday or Thursday PM not so much but let us not be crazy - a GA is not going to increase an amount for volunteer from 800 to 8000 in one offer.

It is more a punk move by United to match DL (yet again) vs. they anticipate ever paying out $10,000 for one passenger seat.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
2. Provide adequate staffing when flights get cancelled or diverted. Why do I keep seeing long lines whenever I walk by a rebooking counter late in the evening? This reflects staffing costs as being more important than making customers wait for hours...

4. Stop your employees from palming off anyone who comes for help. Gate agent to rebooking counter. Rebooking counter to call the 800 number so and so forth.
A recent flight DCA-ORD was delayed, others canceled. I got rebooked (alas without a seat so I wound up in the last row of Y middle seat) by calling the 1K line. Others stood in line with one GA repeatedly announcing that she has no time to rebook any one (20 minutes on this one so passengers stood there helpless as this GA did nothing). Only one GA for 4 flights and this GA told passengers to go back out of security and wait on line to be rebooked.

My return flight 2 days later was delayed by 30 minutes. You only knew this if you looked at the UA app.

Is there not a better way to handle this? The clear impression is that UA did not give a damn about its passengers.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
It would seem that concurrent with this "do the right thing" announcement from UA, they have also settled with Dr. Dao for "an undisclosed amount".

I think it's fair to assume the "undisclosed amount" was somewhat more than $800.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Wx4caster
The "In the moment" resolution/compensation sounds like a potential plus
9. United will empower employees to resolve customer service issues in the moment.

Rolling out later this year, United will launch a new "in the moment" app for our employees to handle customer issues. This will enable flight attendants (by July) and gate agents (later this year) to compensate customers proactively (with mileage, credit for future flights or other forms of compensation) when a disservice occurs.

Also, nice to see some common sense applied to overbooking of the "last flight of the day"
8. United will reduce its amount of overbooking.

United has evaluated its overbooking policy. As a result, adjustments have been made to reduce overbookings on flights that historically have experienced lower volunteer rates, particularly flights on smaller aircraft and the last flights of the day to a particular destination.
Concur. To me these are the most significant changes. However I am not sure why an app is needed. Wouldn't it just be simpler to have a hotline staff by competent managers who can address the unique facts of any situation? Or simply empower your staff to make things right (as WN does) and tell them you will back them up even if they botch the call in favor of the customer, i.e. if they are too generous with VDB comp, or agree to put the customer on a competitor's flight, etc.

As for overbooking, I may be in the minority but I don't think it needs to be eliminated, particularly as I am one who often makes last minute itinerary changes and sometimes to take earlier flights. The issue is not so much IDB but rather the paltry inadequate compensation for VDB and IDB and the use of force to eject a passenger for a contract dispute. I am thinking we won't be seeing these problems anymore, assuming the FAs and GAs stop lying about "safety" issues with passengers who do not pose a threat to anyone.

Hopefully the "in the moment" App will work better than .bomb
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:12 pm

I was talking with my buddy who is a Global Service and he does feel that some UNITED employees view the customer as the problem.

That is hard to change, at my hospital there are a few nurses who view the patient as the problem and are generally surly and unhelpful, I unfortunately had to deal with one of these nurses as she was floated to the ER when one of our regulars went out for a prolonged period of time.

She would bark at the patients, their families, the Docs, anybody who got in her face and was not 100% complaiant. She called security at least 5x in day because she claimed patients and one case, the patient's family were being combative with her.

I spoke to the Nursing Manager about her and she was handled, but that is 2-3 nurses, what is Mr. Munoz supposed to do with maybe IDK 100 - 200 bad employees system wide?

That is one of the biggest issues IMHO UNITED has to deal with it and it is not a new issue, a bad employee who viewed the customer as the issue soured me on UNITED years ago.

I applaud UNITED for at least talking about change and making a list of changes, but the proof is in the pudding and without addressing bad employees, all the changes in the world may not make a difference.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
One good thing as practiced by Delta: Where multiple passengers are needed, every volunteer needed gets the clearing offer. Example, if they need three VDBs and the lowest bids are $250, $400, and $500, all three get $500.
Not sure about UA now...it's been a long time since I VDB'd - in fact, might have been pre-merger, but IIRC, this was how PMUA did it, as well.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Outside of the safety/security bucket, how about customer service issues, specifically a seat poacher - let's say someone plunks themselves into my First Class seat and refuses to leave, confident that no one can force them - what happens at this point? Do I get 10,000 if I refuse to take another seat in coach or will someone eject the poacher from the seat, or can I be legally indemnified for reaching over and yanking the poacher from my seat by their hair and tossing them into the aisle so I can sit down?
I'm not sure how this is any different than any shoplifting attempt at any given retailer. If someone from Y decides to help themselves to an F seat, its a theft of service - no different than if they walk into a grocery store and steals a box of Cheerios (or whatever). I would also argue this isn't outside of safety/security - If someone won't sit in their ticketed cabin, and especially if they refuse to move when the FA asks them to move, I would say this is a potential safety issue, as if they will disregard an FA on the ground, who's to say they won't listen to instructions in the air (stay seated during turbulance, turning a phone into airplane mode, etc.).

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Another major issue not addressed by the announcement - and this is key - who is going to force a culture change with those front line employees who feel no need or interest in participating in a service environment and just do the absolute minimum or act in a hostile way towards customers? In the absence of a culture change or a policy that provides an absolute baseline for customer service, new tools will not offer much benefit when you're stuck with an agent who doesn't give a damn, or worse, relishes with joy at your suffering.
This takes time, but there are ways to do it.

For example, if UA wants to focus on values, it needs to lead from the top down first, provide CS training, and give front-line employees a certain amount of time to serve customers in this way. Give them, say 6 weeks. Then implement a system to fire those who don't follow on with these values . How would that work? For example, if a GA or gets 3 CS-related complaints in X months, they get fired.

So a DYKWIA decides they deserve to sit in your F or E+ or exit row seat and refuses to move. UA can ask them to move but they refuse. They also cannot call the cops because there is no "safety or security" issue. You are now left going to the back.
Again, I'd argue this is a safety issue. Once someone has proven they aren't interested in listening to the flight crew, why would one assume they would if there is an issue in the air. Or that they would put their phone into airplane mode on departure, etc.

Captain always has discretion/authority to remove a passenger from the aircraft if they feel the need for it. I suspect this kind of situation of refusing to adhere to crew instructions is a good example of where a captain can use their authority.

This will cause people to hold out for higher compensation. Maybe not $10000 but now that there is a published number, people can gauge. Overall the process is not much different than before. GA can go up to a certain number, then gets approval to go higher.
FTers, or other? Most people aren't going to remember this number after a week.

This will just increase delays and cancellations down the line. Better to inconvenience hundreds of people rather than a handfull.
This was one of my thoughts after the incident. UA was trying to be proactive and provide a solution that impacted the least number of people. Should be a win-win. If the crew can't get to where they need to be, then that means a flight of 50, 70, 150, or whatever people needs to be canceled or delayed. Why is this better?

Originally Posted by fly18725
Personally, I find the majority of United front line employees to be dedicated and capable. Sometimes they're having a bad day, but treating them with respect goes a long way to getting good service.
This. I find the strong majority of UA interactions at least average to deal with. I've found a few that are willing to go way above and beyond. Including at EWR, which if you read this board, you might think that the ones there are only there to piss people off.

I never yell or raise my voice, speak calmly and usually with a smile, and try to give them the benefit of the doubt. That, and asking what I think are fairly reasonable request, and I seem to be treated pretty well the strong majority fo the time. It doesn't mean they can always say yes, but they are usually nice about it.

Or maybe my UA interactions are different than everyone else's - for some unknown reason.

Originally Posted by Duke787
As far as I know, It is not binding you can change your mind at the airport but presumably if you enter it, you are willing to at least be considered. Of course as noted above you can negotiate higher than the 800 maximum at the gate if the right situation presents itself.
Not sure if it even can be binding until paperwork is signed.

Originally Posted by klakhav
I thought they did have an automated system to request people to volunteer their seats? Is this something new.
It is really training their employees issue and please do not use law enforcement to extract people from their paid seats.
Sounds like they are going to automate the system further. The current one asks if you would be willing to, and then just adds you to the list. Nothing like bidding, at all.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Do you think the gate agents in, say Sacremento, know that Louisville is near Lexington? Or that if they fly a passenger into Lexington, who do they call to get that customer ground transportation into Louisville?

Makes total sense to have a specialized department for out-of-the-box solutions. Sure, many things should be able to be handled by the gate agents themselves, but I think it smart to have backup for those tail events.
They don't need to know off the top of their head. Computers these days are amazing - it's really not that hard to program a computer so that the agent can see alternate airports within X miles of the original destination (heck, even UA.com can do that). And then they can inform local agents at the new destination to prep the transport for the pax.

It's not that difficult.

Originally Posted by radiowell
My concern exactly. Someone who purchased Basic Economy may decide to poach an F seat and when confronted he/she will just say "make me." GA/FA may be powerless to do anything about it.
Commiting a crime (theft) and disobeying the flight crew are both safety concerns. There's no question in my mind this would be dealt with appropriately.

Originally Posted by mauiUAflyer
In most circumstances where I could VDB, I would take that (the exception being if I couldn't be confirmed for days). Unfortunately, I can't often do this anymore...sayng I'd VDB when traveling with the wife and 2-year-old isn't really a good option most of the time.

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Hopefully the "in the moment" App will work better than .bomb
IIRC, UA is apparently signed on with the IBM/Apple partnership that develops various apps for air carriers for CS/operations. I'd guess they are the ones UA is working with to create this.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NorthwestFlyer
Who thinks United Airlines will compensate a Pax anywhere close to $10K? I do not.:
I think the instances where they have to go anywhere near close to $10K will be extremely few and far between but average compensation will go up because more people will hold out hoping for a higher offer so there's probably a huge overall cost.

As far as the specific scenario at hand, I am very sympathetic with Dr. Dao as far as being involuntarily deboarded (as opposed to being denied boarding in the first place). I completely agree that United could have done more to try to make it voluntary deboarding and their new procedures should go a long way toward preventing anything like this in the future.

I would be utterly on his side if he had deboarded peacefully and then raised a PR (as opposed to physical) ruckus over the situation but where I lose sympathy is on the injury score. He caused the injuries himself AND he was disrupting take-off sequence for countless others. Neither airline nor the security officers involved could have known he suffered from PTSD and I doubt any of them expected him to go ballistic the way he did.

United HAS to change their policies because of the reality of the PR situation. I think they should have had these kinds of policies in the first place but I also think they don't deserve the black eye they're getting from this particular situation (then again, I wasn't there).
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I think the instances where they have to go anywhere near close to $10K will be extremely few and far between but average compensation will go up because more people will hold out hoping for a higher offer so there's probably a huge overall cost.

As far as the specific scenario at hand, I am very sympathetic with Dr. Dao as far as being involuntarily deboarded (as opposed to being denied boarding in the first place). I completely agree that United could have done more to try to make it voluntary deboarding and their new procedures should go a long way toward preventing anything like this in the future.

I would be utterly on his side if he had deboarded peacefully and then raised a PR (as opposed to physical) ruckus over the situation but where I lose sympathy is on the injury score. He caused the injuries himself AND he was disrupting take-off sequence for countless others. Neither airline nor the security officers involved could have known he suffered from PTSD and I doubt any of them expected him to go ballistic the way he did.

United HAS to change their policies because of the reality of the PR situation. I think they should have had these kinds of policies in the first place but I also think they don't deserve the black eye they're getting from this particular situation (then again, I wasn't there).
If it hadn't been violent and extreme it wouldn't have been news, no matter how much video was taken. If it hadn't made the news, UA and the other two wouldn't be changing their policies or even examining them.
Dao "took a bullet" for all non status flyers who are subject to the whims of the airlines in ways which would drive status flyers apoplectic at even the hint of such disrespect.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
That is trespassing. Call the real cops, slap on the handcuffs, and press charges.
If its not a safety or security issue the policy is not to call the cops now.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Again, I'd argue this is a safety issue. Once someone has proven they aren't interested in listening to the flight crew, why would one assume they would if there is an issue in the air. Or that they would put their phone into airplane mode on departure, etc.

This was one of my thoughts after the incident. UA was trying to be proactive and provide a solution that impacted the least number of people. Should be a win-win. If the crew can't get to where they need to be, then that means a flight of 50, 70, 150, or whatever people needs to be canceled or delayed. Why is this better?

Originally Posted by euslaner
I am not sure what the new policy is on police intervention for poaching, but a passenger who poaches a seat in F will surely be met by police when the plane lands and will likely regret that decision.
Dao did exactly this. He was asked to leave and proved he was not interested in listening to the crew or the cops and even resisted the cops which caused him to become injured. That is why I think what happened to Dao is fully justified. If you don't want to go along with the rules because you think you are better, then you should expect to be met with police. If you decide you wish to defy the police, you should expect the possibility of becoming injured (or at least an increased risk). If you go into a bank with no weapons and threaten to rob it and a cop accidentally shoots you or some other people, you're still responsible for creating the situation and all the resulting injuries.

I was being sarcastic. It is not better. I was stating their new changes if not overbooking higher VDB and making it harder for crew to get to where they need to go (as a result of Dao and others like him) will inconvenience many more people through higher ticket prices and more delays/cancellations. Higher since this will be felt by everyone it won't get picked up my twitter or the news media whereas one person can yell loud enough to ruin it for everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.