Major United Policy Changes Announced

Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Major United Policy Changes Announced

Oscar promised a comprehensive review of customer service at UA and the report is now out. Effective immediately (or in the near future) United will--

• Limit use of law enforcement to safety and security issues only.
  • Not require customers seated on the plane to give up their seat involuntarily unless safety or security is at risk.
  • Increase customer compensation incentives for voluntary denied boarding up to $10,000.
  • Establish a customer solutions team to provide agents with creative solutions such as using nearby
  • airports, other airlines or ground transportations to get customers to their final destination.
  • Ensure crews are booked onto a flight at least 60 minutes prior to departure.
  • Provide employees with additional annual training.
  • Create an automated system for soliciting volunteers to change travel plans.
  • Reduce the amount of overbooking.
  • Empower employees to resolve customer service issues in the moment.
  • Eliminate the red tape on permanently lost bags by adopting a “no questions asked” policy on lost luggage.

I have some additional details and follow-up questions from UA on my blog (disclaimer).

The devil will always be in the details, but this is great news! At least a step in the right direction...
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:07 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Starting Today, We're Changing

We let policies get ahead of our values. Learn more about our commitments: uafly.co/changes.

-UA Insider
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Nice!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: None anymore
I see they matched Delta (well, went above by a few dollars) on the VDB ceiling. Good to see that.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UA Insider
We let policies get ahead of our values.
Good luck, folks. Really hoping things work out for you.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
I think i'm most excited by this:

Establish a customer solutions team to provide agents with creative solutions such as using nearby airports, other airlines or ground transportations to get customers to their final destination.

Having the ability in the Washington NCR to move airports from BWI/IAD/DCA when things get bad or fly into an alternative and uber is a huge step up.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
It sounds promising. As a former UA Platinum, I swore them off years ago.

That being said, time will tell if this is real or just lip service. I do wish Munoz the best. He does seem like a nice guy who really is trying to be a transformative figure.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Mixed bag. Overall negative to me. Too much caving in and creating more gray areas (what is and isn't a safety/security issue?).

A couple things I like (more re-booking options), and a few I don't (60 minute rule, reducing overbooking, law enforcement limit, empowering customers in their seat).
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zrs70
Nice!
and even a couple of days ahead of the announced end of April date!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by minnyfly
Mixed bag. Overall negative to me. Too much caving in and creating more gray areas (what is and isn't a safety/security issue?).
Well they can't obviously say that they will never remove a passenger; someone that's obviously a danger to the crew and fellow passengers (drunk and is moving about cabin when shouldn't be, actual physical assault, etc.) should be ejected from the plane. Maybe they can clarify a little bit though.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:51 pm

Not to reignite too much but...

Originally Posted by minnyfly

A couple things I like (more re-booking options), and a few I don't (60 minute rule, reducing overbooking, law enforcement limit, empowering customers in their seat).
How is NOT removing confirmed, booked, seated passengers from a flight bad in any way? Particularly using law enforcement to that effect (safety and security were not in issue on 3411).

I can see why reduced overbooking and crew movement may be bad for elites, but a paying customer deserves to be treated to the service they purchased if nothing else.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
So UA copied DL again. This time a week late. UA should have been the first carrier to make this announcement. It was DL. I guess, better late than never.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:52 pm

So where's the admission that they never had the right to remove a passenger from the plane for reasons not covered by those in "Refusal of Transport" section of the Contract of Carriage? "Denial of Boarding" is not the same as "Refusal of Transport" - That is why they are covered by separate sections of the contract (the contract United wrote).
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by legameflyer
So where's the admission that they never had the right to remove a passenger from the plane for reasons not covered by those in "Refusal of Transport" section of the Contract of Carriage? "Denial of Boarding" is not the same as "Refusal of Transport" - That is why they are covered by separate sections of the contract (the contract United wrote).
Last I saw, UA's reading of "boarding" was somewhere between "doors closed" and "the airplane is in the air". DOT most likely disagrees, but it hasn't been challenged yet.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 12:05 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
If these changes are done as announced, this is good news.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.