FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Major United Policy Changes Announced
View Single Post
Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:53 pm
eng3

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
That is trespassing. Call the real cops, slap on the handcuffs, and press charges.
If its not a safety or security issue the policy is not to call the cops now.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Again, I'd argue this is a safety issue. Once someone has proven they aren't interested in listening to the flight crew, why would one assume they would if there is an issue in the air. Or that they would put their phone into airplane mode on departure, etc.

This was one of my thoughts after the incident. UA was trying to be proactive and provide a solution that impacted the least number of people. Should be a win-win. If the crew can't get to where they need to be, then that means a flight of 50, 70, 150, or whatever people needs to be canceled or delayed. Why is this better?

Originally Posted by euslaner
I am not sure what the new policy is on police intervention for poaching, but a passenger who poaches a seat in F will surely be met by police when the plane lands and will likely regret that decision.
Dao did exactly this. He was asked to leave and proved he was not interested in listening to the crew or the cops and even resisted the cops which caused him to become injured. That is why I think what happened to Dao is fully justified. If you don't want to go along with the rules because you think you are better, then you should expect to be met with police. If you decide you wish to defy the police, you should expect the possibility of becoming injured (or at least an increased risk). If you go into a bank with no weapons and threaten to rob it and a cop accidentally shoots you or some other people, you're still responsible for creating the situation and all the resulting injuries.

I was being sarcastic. It is not better. I was stating their new changes if not overbooking higher VDB and making it harder for crew to get to where they need to go (as a result of Dao and others like him) will inconvenience many more people through higher ticket prices and more delays/cancellations. Higher since this will be felt by everyone it won't get picked up my twitter or the news media whereas one person can yell loud enough to ruin it for everyone.