Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Major United Policy Changes Announced

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
It's a good start, but it won't solve their problems.

They should limit these "safety and security issues" to "safety and security issues caused by the specific passengers being removed".

This too will fail. Let's say you're flying out of HKG in business class, and most people pay some $5K for that flight anyway. Then they had to replace a 77W with a 772 for operational reasons, losing 12 Polaris seats. Flight was to be full, and there is a typhoon barreling down on HKG soon, odds are there will be no flights for the next two days, on any airline. Do you really think they will get 12 volunteers to give up their Polaris seats and wait out the typhoon in HKG for a few days for a mere $10K? Not for $10K, probably not. Perhaps for $25K or $50K you can get your 12 volunteers, but the agents can't go over $10K. So now what? IDB and law enforcement? Cue the youtube video.

You seem to think everyone in Polaris needs to volunteer. They will get 12 Y's to volunteer and pay GG FRONT CBN OVSL or you wait for the next flight.

They won't board all 12 if it is a plane swap, they will know long before people get one the plane.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
So a DYKWIA decides they deserve to sit in your F or E+ or exit row seat and refuses to move. UA can ask them to move but they refuse. They also cannot call the cops because there is no "safety or security" issue. You are now left going to the back.
This.

I am more concerned with giving other passengers the ability to do basically anything they want. Once they are "boarded", they are almost untouchable, figuratively and literally.

Last edited by FlyfromDenver; Apr 27, 2017 at 9:29 am Reason: missing words
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Will UA continue to use Gershwin's "Rhapsody In Black and Blue" as its signature tune?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
This.

I am more concerned with giving other passengers the ability to do basically anything they want. Once they are "boarded", they are almost untouchable, figuratively and literally.
I'm sure there's a big of a problem as people portray. United did say, "their seat," not, "a seat," which implies that passengers who claim an unassigned seat are not immune from removal. Refusing to take your assigned seat, or an alternate seat arranged through a mutually agreeable seat swap, can become a safety issue and I'm sure United will not let it slide. Of course, I think they'll try everything possible to resolve unassigned seat claims in a non-confrontational way.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: UA Plat
All of this empowers front line UA employees to be like they were pre-merger with CO. I can't tell you how many times back then they came up with creative solutions for me when things went wrong. Once, I had flown to a men's hockey tournament and my equipment didn't arrive. Baggage claim told me it was on the next flight, arriving the next day. I told them I had two games today. They said "Go on and buy whatever equipment you need for the games today and we will reimburse you". I did, and they did!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
This will cause people to hold out for higher compensation. Maybe not $10000 but now that there is a published number, people can gauge. Overall the process is not much different than before. GA can go up to a certain number, then gets approval to go higher.
I doubt it. Unless the entire plane colludes (not going to happen) someone will find a number that is acceptable to them and go for it. I took two VDBs on DL earlier this week and can attest to that. They were looking for $600, I said I would do it for $1000 + hotel (since they couldn't get me to RDU until they next day) and they agreed. Sure someone else might have been able to get them to go higher (after all their max is $9950 on DL) but $1000 + hotel was sufficient for me to work from the hotel the next day and fly home 1 day late.

They key however is empowerment for the front line employees. At Delta this works because when I went up to $1000, the GA didn't have to get on the phone and call someone and spend an hour confirming if that was possible. She accepted it based on the oversell and moved on with boarding the plane. DL seems to have empowered their frontline to offer the necessary comp in a given situation without needing to get caught up in red tape and it works.

Originally Posted by ACVBear
For the VDB bidding, how does the Delta system work? I will say my $ compensation depends Heavily on what the potential alternatives are, but I'm not sure how an automated process can actually show a reasonable set of those options.

Smart business move by the way, find a bar to keep people happy and avoid IDB. unless they still choose to IDB people because it will be less than the $ people volunteer. Tough for us to play the auction system at the gate too. Plus, as others have mentioned in the thread, generates a lot of data to mine later on.
When you check-in, DL informs you the flight is oversold and then allows you input how much compensation you would be willing to accept to go on a later flight. The options are typically 200, 300, 400, 500 and then you can enter an "other" of up to 800 (at least for domestic flights).

As far as I know, It is not binding you can change your mind at the airport but presumably if you enter it, you are willing to at least be considered. Of course as noted above you can negotiate higher than the 800 maximum at the gate if the right situation presents itself.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by aoumd
Several of the items on the list are essentially post-merger repeats of the customer-friendly actions Gordon Bethune instituted at CO in the 1990s. As I recall he and some HQ employees literally took the manual of arcane rules GAs were bound by and burned them in the parking lot, then came up with a list of guidelines which GAs were free to bend if it would prevent a truly bad customer service situation from occurring.

With so much CO management presence at UA post merger, makes me wonder how much of Bethune's work was lost due to the merger, and how much was lost as the entire industry devolved into its current state at the demand of shareholders.

All that aside, glad to see UA make some solid commitments that will translate into a very different handling of not only the Dao situation, but many others which cause real customer service messes.
I have no knowledge of pmCO but gate agent discretion was the rule at pmUA and one of the first things that Smisek did was to terminate this discretion. Not only pmUA fliers but also pmUA gate agents complained bitterly about this. pmUA agents regularly accomodated me (in one case letting me fly home a day early on a nonrefundable ticket and often in NRT and FRA rebooking me so that I could clear an upgrade when no seats were available on the flights I had booked). pmUA agents told me that CO would not tolerate either of these and that SHARES made it impossible to rebook passengers even when their flights were canceled.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Oscar promised a comprehensive review of customer service at UA and the report is now out. Effective immediately (or in the near future) United will--

<snip>
The devil will always be in the details, but this is great news! At least a step in the right direction...
You forgot: Offer deep discounts to corporate customers.

Yup, my company just made UA one of its preferred carriers, apparently some very attractive fares on a few key routes.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
I thought they did have an automated system to request people to volunteer their seats? Is this something new.
It is really training their employees issue and please do not use law enforcement to extract people from their paid seats.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
This.

They are still in trouble for disobeying crew instructions. You arrest them when they disembark at the termination of the flight, and inform them that this will happen. Problem solved.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deskover54
Why in the world do you need a customer solutions team to do this? Just allow agents to say "yes" when requests like that are made. Or allow agents to think of these things - they work the airport, they know what's nearby. Give an authorization of $500 for alternate transportation discretionary to a GA in an overbooking situation. You don't need some bureaucratic HQ team finding solutions.
Do you think the gate agents in, say Sacremento, know that Louisville is near Lexington? Or that if they fly a passenger into Lexington, who do they call to get that customer ground transportation into Louisville?

Makes total sense to have a specialized department for out-of-the-box solutions. Sure, many things should be able to be handled by the gate agents themselves, but I think it smart to have backup for those tail events.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
...This too will fail. Let's say you're flying out of HKG in business class, and most people pay some $5K for that flight anyway. Then they had to replace a 77W with a 772 for operational reasons, losing 12 Polaris seats. Flight was to be full, and there is a typhoon barreling down on HKG soon, odds are there will be no flights for the next two days, on any airline. Do you really think they will get 12 volunteers to give up their Polaris seats and wait out the typhoon in HKG for a few days for a mere $10K? Not for $10K, probably not. Perhaps for $25K or $50K you can get your 12 volunteers, but the agents can't go over $10K. So now what? IDB and law enforcement? Cue the youtube video....
It doesn't work that way. There's no wall between Polaris and coach in an operational down-gauge. In most cases, displaced front cabin passengers will get a coach seat and get where they are going. They get downgrade compensation and difference in fare.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:24 am

So a DYKWIA decides they deserve to sit in your F or E+ or exit row seat and refuses to move. UA can ask them to move but they refuse. They also cannot call the cops because there is no "safety or security" issue. You are now left going to the back.

Can't find the thread. I recall this actually happened to someone years ago where some lady helped herself to his F seat and he had to sit in the back. He chose not to delay the flight and just sit in the back. The DYKWIA always wins while the rest of us have to suffer.
My concern exactly. Someone who purchased Basic Economy may decide to poach an F seat and when confronted he/she will just say "make me." GA/FA may be powerless to do anything about it.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
In a nutshell, the new policies are "use commonsense" and "treat customers as you'd want to be treated" and "a happy customer is better than a pissed off customer".

Business 101.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
Surprised one of their new policies isn't "If you video anything on board the aircraft, we will lifetime ban you from flying UA in the future".

Videos only show one side of the story and are quick for items to be taken out of context.

I'd be happy if they banned pictures, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.