Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

So how does UA win back the flying public? (Beyond the obvious)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So how does UA win back the flying public? (Beyond the obvious)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Thread title is:

So how does UA win back the flying public?

Answer: Depends who you ask.

If you ask FFs, FTers you might get an answer than involves a seat sale and maybe throw in some additional EQMs, AQMs etc,

If you ask the general public, it will be a wide range of suggestions that might involve discipline and or "coaching" for all employees and mall cops involved.

If you ask the other pax who were on that flight, the answer might involve $$$ for the trauma they suffered watching all of this unfold.

Some might suggest that Oscar stop tweeting.

If you ask Wall Street, there will a different answer.

And if you ask the unfortunate man who was the recipient of all of this nastiness, I am quite sure there will be a different answer.

All of the above will look nice on a Venn Diagram.

Is there really just one answer to "So how does UA win back the flying public?"
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP
I don't think Oscar should resign but yes I think it's time for the board to re-accommodate him.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:18 am

The young couple who were removed (but complied) from the flight were also treated unfairly. And reports are that United needed Four seats for the crew. Was a fourth passenger removed from the flight after the battery of the passenger appropriately appalled the public? Or did UA decide to only fly three of the crew they needed to reposition? Perhaps UA did the logical thing and used their inter airline crew courtesy discount to inexpensively fly that 4th crew member on another flight (from either Chicago airport).
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by minnyfly
WN has a much higher IDB rate than UA. All things equal, there's a much higher chance of this happening on WN than UA. WN is my favorite domestic carrier, but this episode is not a reason to praise them.

Alaska's rate is equal to UA's. Again, not a reason to praise AS.
I understand that IDB is just the nature of the business. There is a sensible way to handling this without screwing over the customer. I highly doubt anyone will ever have an incident like this on AS or SW as they are trained to handle the situations better, while UA seems to do the bare minimum. Even DL showed how far they were willing to go to make customers happy after their recent storm meltdown.

I was more referring to how UA can improve overall service consistency across the board, not just IDB procedures, which probably were not followed to the fullest extent in this case as this flight was technically not overbooked. I have suggested in another thread that IDB should be disallowed once the pax have started boarding. Either sort out the issue before boarding starts, otherwise use VDB only, increasing the offer until someone takes it.

In general, it is always a tossup when you on what type of service you get with UA from the GAs/FAs. Most are good, but there's still a lot that are subpar that should either be let go or be retrained.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
This is just symptomatic of United. There are good front-line employees but the vast majority of UA culture is one in which UA doesn't care about its customers. It doesn't care about keeping promises to its customers, it doesn't care about being polite to customers, and it doesn't care about how its customers are treated.

One recent example is carrying limited quantities of mattress pads, gel pillows, and slippers in United Polaris -- imagine that! For your flagship product, you carry limited quantities so that you run out instead of offering them proactively to every guest! It is clear that this is an airline focused on itself and its bottom line -- corporate narcissism -- instead of aiming to get its customers to where they want to go on time and in comfort. This entire culture seeps into the organization so that in the end, a customer is literally left bleeding in the aisle because crew scheduling doesn't have its act together.

It is absolutely shameful.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by 24left
Thread title is:

So how does UA win back the flying public?

Answer: Depends who you ask.

If you ask FFs, FTers you might get an answer than involves a seat sale and maybe throw in some additional EQMs, AQMs etc,

If you ask the general public, it will be a wide range of suggestions that might involve discipline and or "coaching" for all employees and mall cops involved.

If you ask the other pax who were on that flight, the answer might involve $$$ for the trauma they suffered watching all of this unfold.

Some might suggest that Oscar stop tweeting.

If you ask Wall Street, there will a different answer.

And if you ask the unfortunate man who was the recipient of all of this nastiness, I am quite sure there will be a different answer.

All of the above will look nice on a Venn Diagram.

Is there really just one answer to "So how does UA win back the flying public?"
Agreed. Folks new to Flyertalk may be a bit put off by economy passengers being referred to as 'kettles' or 'gate lice'. That's because many folks who post here are on elite status and are not subject to the same poor treatment as the general public. For them, there will be little sympathy for the folks in cattle class who bear the brunt of situations like this.

After obsessing on this story the last day or so, I still have a lot of questions. First, what was this passenger entitled to, and was it explained to him? Is the compensation cash, flight vouchers, or something else? Munoz said he was offered "$1000 compensation" which I assume to be a flight voucher he may not have wanted and a hotel room he definitely did not want.

You folks who say it doesn't matter if he was a doctor or not, I think that's fair. But you are also going to expect him to stand up and assist the airline if a passenger falls sick. I'm a doc, I've done this twice now, and in neither case did I ask for or get any consideration from the airline for assisting and preventing a diversion. Nor would I ever use my profession to say I should get preferential treatment, although Lufthansa actually does have a program for docs to register in consideration for this issue.

I hope lawmakers get involved in this to develop rules that provide for the same level of cash compensation for all passengers regardless of class of ticket to dissuade airlines from playing overbook roulette because they know they can bump passengers easily and profit by doing so, such as in the case of folks flying on award tickets.

Every passenger on that plane is just as important as every other passenger.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by misdirected baggage
Not sure about the analogy.

Not to diminish what happened at ORD, the fallout from Wells was horrendous. Many people could not get credit, homes, cars - even jobs were affected. Yet, it wasn't dramatic enough to capture on 3 minutes of video.

Psychology studies find that people overreact to dramatic events. We use those results when trading stocks. While the ensuing social media storm about a dramatic event at UA may be justified, it's dwarfed by the carnage left by a slow-moving scandal that derailed a lot of lives - one that everyone seems to yawn about.

Just my 2 cents...
Yup, it is one thing to talk about starving children. Another thing completely to bring them to life. Maybe have someone meet one.
That's why Malala's story is so powerful. She speaks English and can verbalize. Because there are thousands like her, who are shot and killed, and nobody cares.

But it isn't just that people get de-sensitized, but I think it is because people simply cannot love masses. It isn't in our psychology. We can only love individuals.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by bo1953
Okay, if YOU want to make that comparison, so be it. I stick to my thesis and history.

The law at this time is not targeted to one group of people, it is targeted to any passenger whose seat is needed or deemed required to transport.

This law is not based, or so I believe, on a specific set/group of individuals and can be applied to any passenger, paying or not.

Safe travels.
But the issue here is that the "selection process" is NOT applied equally for everyone. Airline chooses to implement however they wishes which would maximize THEIR profit. Not everyone on board was subject to removal for SURE. There is NO WAY their computer chose people in random. The computer SPECIFICALLY targeted a GROUP of people.

Should that selection process be published by the airline, there will be more people who would be unhappy with the selection and quite possibly more refusal since it seem so unfair considering possibly only 20-25% of passengers may be subject to the so called "random lottery".
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
LOL, it is obvious to me that you do not understand the differences, Mrs. Parks was breaking a long held belief that a certain group of citizens could NOT sit in certain areas of public transport, while UA had a goal for its' employees to achieve and it was NOT based on ethnic grounds.

If you want to play that card, then UA's computer system needs to be singled out for picking ethnic names for IVDB, in which case we need to know the identities of the others who voluntarily deplaned.

Have a safe trip.....
Okay, if YOU want to make that comparison, so be it. I stick to my thesis and history.

The law at this time is not targeted to one group of people, it is targeted to any passenger whose seat is needed or deemed required to transport.

This law is not based, or so I believe, on a specific set/group of individuals and can be applied to any passenger, paying or not.

Safe travels.
The law today is that United can remove a paying customer in Y from their seat if United Crew happen to show up.

The law (at the time) was that Rosa Parks (a black person) had to give up her seat if white people show up.

Both are/were completely legal, but in the eyes of most people today, morally wrong.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:34 am

The sad answer is that UA doesn't have to do anything. The stock price will go back up, something shiny will distract people's attention and PAX will buy cheap tickets on whichever airline.

However, UA should do the right thing. Empathy training would be a good place to start - beginning at the top.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Triple EQMs and EQDs on all fares.

There.

Solved.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), Hyatt Discoverist(?), Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DrPSB
I hope lawmakers get involved in this to develop rules that provide for the same level of cash compensation for all passengers regardless of class of ticket to dissuade airlines from playing overbook roulette because they know they can bump passengers easily and profit by doing so, such as in the case of folks flying on award tickets.
Why do lawmakers need to get involved? The market is responding appropriately - just look at the news, the threads in FT, etc..

The last thing we need is more "help" from DC.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:36 am

I can't deny that I love reading the responses from people who defend UA on this.
After all, this site is filled with people who whine about
-not getting a PDB
-not getting an upgrade
-sitting next to an animal
-not getting their first choice meal
-having a rude GA/FA
-being treated rudely by a lounge attendant
-having to deal with people standing in their way while boarding
-yada yada yada

All of those things are catastrophes.
Being physically dragged out of a seat? UA was right. As long as it wasn't me, UA did the right thing.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Triple EQMs and EQDs on all fares.

There.

Solved.
Is this serious? Accelerating status earnings is not going to do anything to mollify frequent flyers who are considering ditching their UA status.

I personally would find it rather crass.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Plat, HHonors Diamond, nowhere near the 1%
They can start by NOT telling me to stow my Surface Pro 3 on takeoff because the keyboard magically turns it into a laptop.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.