Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

So how does UA win back the flying public? (Beyond the obvious)

So how does UA win back the flying public? (Beyond the obvious)

Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
As a wife and mother, I will not fly United because their staff is obviously poorly trained and/ or uncaring about the customer. Good customer service is just good business and from the top down, United staff hasn't a clue. This leads to situations where the customer is always wrong and I do not care to subject myself or my family to problems. Travel nowadays is stressful enough- we do not need the extra stress of wondering how we will be treated or mistreated during the travel. And I do wonder how the business traveler- who needs to be somewhere for a job, unstressed and on time- will want to buy a ticket where the possibility of either outcome is only a possibility.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
There's a reason why smaller airlines like AS and SW are successful. Their corporate culture promotes good service, as opposed to penny pinching and heavy handed approaches to dealing with minor situations.

There's a problem when a company as large as this is hiring people in position of authority, but lacking common sense and empathy. This applies to every level from the CEO, PR dept, GAs, FAs, and check-in agents.

I don't expect an apology at this point as lawyers will never allow that to happen. That's just the reality of the litigious world we live in. But if Oscar is truly committed to transforming United with the new Polaris vision, he needs to at least commit to modernizing policies and re-training staff. There's no room for discrimination or needless escalations like this where pax are forced off a flight.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:50 am

Perhaps not beating passengers is a good start?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
1) Say "we screwed up and we're sorry." Oscar can do that, though it would help if he did so in Mandarin as well as English.

2) Show you've changed whatever policy led the employees to feel they had to summon the cops involved. (I can't rule out the passenger being actively disruptive himself. I don't have enough information yet about what happened before the video.)

3) Make the customer whole again somehow.

4) Lean on the Chicago Department of Aviation police to commit to, I don't know, not leave non-violentuncooperative passengers bleeding? That would be nice.

5) Try not to over-lawyer crisis comms the next time.

Context: I think United is a good airline that stepped in it, bigly. I'd like to resume not having to worry that I'll get dirty looks for sending it my business.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:55 am

If it affects 5% of Chinese passengers to select another airline, it is substantial. Can you imagine being Chinese and when asked by your family which airlines they are traveling on and replying with, 'Oh, the one that beats Chinese passengers occasionally'
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
What does UA need to do?

1) Nothing. For every person who says "I'm never flying United" there are others who say "I'm never flying Delta/American/etc".

2) Price their tickets lower than their competitors.

3) Make a video of someone's great experience on United and post it on social media.

Firing Munoz seems extreme. But as an alternative, how about UA and AA work a CEO trade? Munoz goes over to AA and brings Parker over to UA. The anit-Munoz folks would be happy for a change at top and Parker and Kirby would then be reunited .
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by gungadin
And I do wonder how the business traveler- who needs to be somewhere for a job, unstressed and on time- will want to buy a ticket where the possibility of either outcome is only a possibility.
Most of us are well aware of delay issues and the possibility of IDB and would not have resisted when asked to deboard. Every airline has issues with delays. I challenge you to find one that never has weather/mechanical/operational delays.

I pick my flights based on airfare/schedule but because I fly out of a United hub those most often line up with United.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: United/American/Vietnam
A person with common sense. It is amazing how everyone who goes on social media knows everything as to what happened and all about the people involved.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
I wonder how much much money this will end up costing them? And to think it could easily have been avoided if they were willing to pay market price to load the pax of...
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: United/American/Vietnam
But the complainers think they know everything.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: I am a lowly ant
Originally Posted by croints
If it affects 5% of Chinese passengers to select another airline, it is substantial. Can you imagine being Chinese and when asked by your family which airlines they are traveling on and replying with, 'Oh, the one that beats Chinese passengers occasionally'
He's Vietnamese-American.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Time, that's it.

And firing the social media department but that's really a separate issue.

Any other change would be an overreaction and probably cause more issues. Like changing overbooking and crew deadheading policies. Would you rather inconvenience a few passengers or potentially several plane loads of passengers.

A more strict policy on passengers who don't know how to behave in public might be good. If I were UA, I'd ban that doctor from the airline for life.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: AZ FA+, BA & UA Gold
An open video statement/apology like this:
This made the EK crash a non-issue in terms of sentiment! Think about that.

The biggest problem that I see right now is a complete lack of sincerity in making amends. Screw-ups happen, but the right companies don't have their leadership duck in and lawyer up for a response.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: AA, DL, WN
Change name to Continental Airlines. I guarantee it works.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by meester69
He's Vietnamese-American.
I believe he is ethnic Chinese who lived in Vietnam as a child. He identifies himself as Han Chinese.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.